Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RawDMed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to gain some shadowing experience in PM&R and found a residency program near by that will let me shadow. What subspecialties would you recommend shadowing (TBI, Spinal Cord Injury, Stroke, Amputee, Sports Med, Spine, Concussion, etc.)? I only have 3 days to shadow.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m trying to gain some shadowing experience in PM&R and found a residency program near by that will let me shadow. What subspecialties would you recommend shadowing (TBI, Spinal Cord Injury, Stroke, Amputee, Sports Med, Spine, Concussion, etc.)? I only have 3 days to shadow.
I’d do inpatient. Find the doc most excited to teach. 3 days isn’t much.

Reactions: 1 user
If you think you like hospital based care then do inpatient. It would give you a good idea of what PM&R is about and you might be able to see all types of patients you listed. If you think you like outpatient then I’d recommend spasticity clinic, MSK or even 1 day interventional. Probably should at least watch an EMG.

Outpatient vs inpatient PM&R can be vastly different.

Agree - stereotypical PM&R is going to be your inpatient SCI/TBI/CVA with some outpatient spasticity stuff. If that doesn't sound like you try to get with a sports/spine interventionalist - will get you greatest exposure to outpatient side of things (procedures, EMGs, etc.).

If you have three days and is feasible would maybe try to do two days inpatient and one day fluoro/procedures if possible. Breadth of field is tremendous for a three day experience.