Shadowing Extraction? Ok or NO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nuggetboy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, y'all! First post on SDN after lurking for a while so I hope this is formatted correctly.

Applying this cycle. Had a shadowing experience where the Doctor (pediatrics) let me finish an easy extraction on a patient under general anesthesia. Is this something I can put in my application or should I avoid it since it's not really allowed? Thnaks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, y'all! First post on SDN after lurking for a while so I hope this is formatted correctly.

Applying this cycle. Had a shadowing experience where the Doctor (pediatrics) let me finish an easy extraction on a patient under general anesthesia. Is this something I can put in my application or should I avoid it since it's not really allowed? Thnaks!
AVOID!!!
i would also avoid doing anything like that ever again...

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I would hold off on putting that on your application and broaching it up during an interview.

Positive thought, you could mention how you were able to see a different aspect of dentistry by OBSERVING a general anesthesia case versus your traditional office setting.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for this. I really had no clue and didn't even consider the consequences during the time. This was a very unique experience with all my other 100+ hours being strictly observational. I truly feel guilty now and of course, will not be included in my application. I guess as a positive I will use it as a learning lesson hopefully in the near future to be an ethical and safe practitioner.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I would hold off on putting that on your application and broaching it up during an interview.

Positive thought, you could mention how you were able to see a different aspect of dentistry by OBSERVING a general anesthesia case versus your traditional office setting.
Okay. I appreciate the advice. I will look to formulate it that way in my head as well. I really didn't think about it in the moment and didn't consider the consequences until now. Thank you for the advice.

Okay. I appreciate the advice. I will look to formulate it that way in my head as well. I really didn't think about it in the moment and didn't consider the consequences until now. Thank you for the advice.
You're welcome! Better to have asked this now rather than have it awkwardly brought during your interview or application process. Best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users