shadowing a doc - how to ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HYCW

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, thanks to everyone who contributes to this board...all the info has been SO unbelievably helpful!!

At the moment, I'm trying to get some experience at a doctor's office. How did y'all go about asking a doc to shadow them? Should I choose some offices and go in, then introduce myself with a resume? Or is cold-calling better? (Side note: I already asked my optometrist, who gave me a sad no because her office was too small.)

I don't know the protocol or the preferred way doctors want to be approached... Help! Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

HYCW,

I say the best way to do is through the people you know first. Go to your Health Advisor and ask if he/she knows someone you can shadow or work for. I'm sure they did it for the students ahead of you so there's always connections/hook ups. Another way is to ask your friends, neighbors, church people, or anyone you know to see if they know of any doctors that u can shadow. Last option is to just look up names in the phone book and then call their offices; they usually tell u to come in their office, fill out an application, and then never bother you call u back unless they need people (in most case they don't).

Well, i start with the phone book but didn't have much luck. Asked my professor and she gave me the hook-up to the place i work now. Remember: don't ask for a job when u come in b/c they will hesitate to give u one. Shadow them first and who knows, u might be in the right place at the right time.

Hope that helps:cool:

-Faith

Originally posted by HYCW
(Side note: I already asked my optometrist, who gave me a sad no because her office was too small.)

That's pitiful. If your OD doesn't want you to shadow her "because her office is too small", you need to find yourself a new OD with some confidence, ambition and drive.

If she is that pathetic, I wouldn't want her for my doctor.

Otherwise, just walk in, find the receptionist and say, "I'm interested in going to Optometry school and was wondering if it would be possible to set up a time to talk with the doctor". The receptionist will, 9 times out of 10, go get the doc and tell him your story. Most, except sorry, pathetic, people like this OD your seeing, will welcome you with open arms.

If they don't, don't listen to anything they say. They will be jaded losers.

I'm just baffled that your own, personal OD, blew you off :confused: :confused:

My main advice, that I have given before, is to find progressive OD practices, preferably group practices, and visit them. Don't waste your time visiting an "eyeglass" factory or "refraction mill".

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you at a university with a medical school or even, do you have a local medical school? You can try to call a school and see if they can hook you up with local alumni.

For myself, I just called a physician who I thought was interesting and he agreed.

Hi everyone.. this is my first time here on sdn and first off, I want to thank everyone for posting very helpful comments for newbies like me trying to branch into optometry.

Like HYCW I am a bit confused as to how to approach an optometrist about shadowing them. Can you guys give me a bit more info as to what goes on when you shadow an optometrist? Is it completely volunteer work? How have some of you been able to get a job working in an optometry office so that you can both shadow and earn something at the same time? (I just graduated from college and wanted to see if optometry was something for me.. things are hard for me now because I'm struggling to make ends meet AND trying to find someone to shadow).

can someone recommend a good optometrist to shadow in the bay area, preferably San Francisco? Thank you!