This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spiritcat13

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm applying to Sackler & SGU and was wondering if anyone had any input about the pros and cons of both of these schools. Your help is greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Sackler-- the Israeli programs are among the top offshore medical schools. Additionally, within the state of New York Sackler has special dispensation so that for licensing purposes you are considered a US graduate.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sackler-- the Israeli programs are among the top offshore medical schools. Additionally, within the state of New York Sackler has special dispensation so that for licensing purposes you are considered a US graduate.
When did that begin? I know a few people who have gone to Sackler and they're still considered IMG.

Do you mind providing insight as to why? I appreciate you commenting on the post, it's very helpful!
One is a reputable school with a demonstrated commitment to its students and where matriculants enjoy all the protections of residence in the US.
The other is an offshore cash cow whose business model relies on flunking out almost half of its matriculants.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
This is a total no-brainer. Sackler no question. TAU is a world-class university, research opportunities are abundant. It's also FAR cheaper too (very important and often overlooked!). When you're an Attending physician and have a family to take care of, you will be so thankful with the much lower debt load. If you're Jewish and desire to stay in Israel it is very easy to do. You literally will have all the specialties in Israel open to you. For the US match, Sackler students frequently match at very prestigious institutions and highly competitive specialties. I've known many Sackler students and they are all in very good career positions now. Having said all that, I believe that Sackler's success has more to do with the caliber of students that attend Sackler. Admission stats are quite high.

What about Sackler vs UQ Ochsner?
The Ochsner program is newer so we have less data behind it. I'd still say Sackler > UQ but as far as off shore schools go, UQ seems to do pretty well (90% US Match I think?) at getting their students residencies in the US.