SGU Charter Foundation BOOKS/PREP 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tikamed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to the SGU Charter Foundation program and reading all the threads has made me a little nervous because of my little background in the courses I will be taking. I went and got the books for the program ( I was able to get them for cheap) and started looking through them, however without a focus I am not sure how I can prepare for the program. I mainly want to look through key concepts so learning them once I'm there will be easier
Following are the books I have:
Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy and BRS Gross Anatomy
Lippincott Biochemistry
Lippincott Physiology

I want advice from the past/current charter foundation students on what to focus on for biochem, anatomy and physio which will be challenging for me. Can someone also speak to the current tests and marking schemes for each course. I also wanted to get some notes from a previous student if thats possible, it would definitely help narrow down what I should study. Thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I did not do the Charter program, but I can tell you that for Term 1 you will essentially need to memorize Netters cover to cover by the end of Anatomy, and the Lippincott Biochem book follows the course very closely, though some of the latter chapters are covered in significantly less detail.

Very little "prior knowledge" is needed for medical school, so don't fret. As long as you understand very basic chemistry, physics, and are familiar with some biology terminology you will have all of the information presented to you. The pacing is the difficult part, so if you want to make the first few weeks somewhat easier, I would recommend reading the first few chapters of each book a few times to give yourself a little extra time to get up to speed in the first few weeks. Aside from that, enjoy your free time and spend as much time with your friends and family as you can, because once you head to the island you're going to be in for a crazy couple of years. Med school is a marathon and not a sprint.

I have been accepted to the SGU Charter Foundation program and reading all the threads has made me a little nervous because of my little background in the courses I will be taking. I went and got the books for the program ( I was able to get them for cheap) and started looking through them, however without a focus I am not sure how I can prepare for the program. I mainly want to look through key concepts so learning them once I'm there will be easier
Following are the books I have:
Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy and BRS Gross Anatomy
Lippincott Biochemistry
Lippincott Physiology

I want advice from the past/current charter foundation students on what to focus on for biochem, anatomy and physio which will be challenging for me. Can someone also speak to the current tests and marking schemes for each course. I also wanted to get some notes from a previous student if thats possible, it would definitely help narrow down what I should study. Thank you so much in advance!

Dont use the textbook for biochem --- Honestly you will be wasting too much time - Go to youtube Make notes watching videos
What are amino acids?
Name all amino acids?
Classify into their groups? - hydrophobic, phillic, acidic, basic, Know their relevance!
What are enzymes, how are they made?
Myoglobin, vs hemoglobin

Glycolysis
Gluconeogenesis
PDH complex
TCA Cycle
Glyocgen (Gensis, and lysis)
Cholestrol synthesis
Ketone synthesis
FA Synthesis
FA oxidation (FA = Fatty acids)
Insulin/glucagon
CycliC AMP - Vs IP3 mechanism (PIP2 , DAG)

Do the videos on these and watch these

Anatomy, try to get the muscles down

Physio I already told you, check the thread I posted info in .

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you guys joined the facebook group yet? Someone posted a google drive file with all the term 1 books (we're forced to buy them anyway, though). If you want send a PM

what fb group....I couldnt find one

Oops my bad, it's a group for Term 1. But I can send the drive if you want

lol. If you learn one thing in med school it's not to listen to other people. In reality, you just have to know yourself and on some level it's always going to be trial and error.

For Biochem I think I read the chapters, at least most of them, that corresponded with the lectures. Just cuz you have a **** ton of time during foundations and you might as well. But a majority of the info is in the lecture and the dude who does/did a majority of the lectures tries to emphasize high yield points. I got 100 on the first exam...

Physio can be tough, but everything you need is in the slides. If the same dude is there (Dr. H), he might come off as intimidating, but will be willing to answer any questions you have on the material.

Anatomy was also straightforward. I don't think I used the book very often, but I did take Anatomy in college. You'll just need to put the time in to remember what you need to. They're very good about testing from what the objectives are, as are the rest of the departments for the foundations courses.

As far as pre-studying. It isn't worth it. The best thing you can do is be as relaxed as possible before going down.

Your goal should just be to go down, work your butt off, and make adjustments as needed. You should be able to tell by mid second week whether or not you're already behind and you need to adjust your study methods. There are DES sessions (like tutoring) as well which make the process even easier.

It truly isn't that difficult and you'll probably be screwing yourself the most by trying to follow someone else's template to the tee. You could probably enjoy yourself a good amount while down there, but I'd recommend going down a week early just to chill a little before classes start get the anxiety out of your system so you're ready to hit it hard when classes start if you need to.

Your best source of info on how things were run and the general expectations will be Term 1 kids who did Foundations the term before you as things routinely change from term to term or from year to year. Good luck.

Any current students have pictures of the Grand Anse dorms?? Are these dorms older than the dorms on campus like True Blue?

Any current students have pictures of the Grand Anse dorms?? Are these dorms older than the dorms on campus like True Blue?
Join the group on facebook SGU FTM spring 2016. Someone just posted pictures.. She also said there were ants.. Ahk! But I think there are just a lot of bugs in Grenada in general