SGU 2010 match list!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
here's SGU's awesome match list!

http://baysgu35.sgu.edu/ERD/2010/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1

and the pgy-2 list so that you can see all the cool advanced specialties that we got this year!
http://baysgu35.sgu.edu/ERD/2011/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY2&Count=-1

Members don't see this ad.

not THAT awesome.... the Rossie's had a better match IMHO.

not a single radiology match from SGU?

not THAT awesome.... the Rossie's had a better match IMHO.

not a single radiology match from SGU?

The radiology matches can be found in the PGY-2 link.

Members don't see this ad :)
The radiology matches can be found in the PGY-2 link.

Beat me to it. I count 8 rads. Also saw an integrated vascular surg, 2 neurosurg, 2 ortho. Not sure exactly what happened to the gas match this year. Competition in gas went down from what I've heard. Got some awesome gas positions on this list.

Excellent match!

Great to see another strong collection of University programs this year, especially in the specialty residencies. I was especially impressed by an Ophthalmology(sp?) match and an Anesthesiology match at Brigham and Womens Hospital.

Last year we set foot into Stanford and now Harvard. SGU grads are certainly working hard to make a name for their school.

If you are a current SGU student you should be proud of your institution's dedication to the education and training of well balanced candidates.

Keep up the good work!

rlxdmd

Last edited:
As expected of SGU, the best Caribbean medical school. Although I probably won't be studying there, I'd definitely recommend this school to anyone who wants to have a chance of getting a decent residency in the US.

Lots of emergency medicine. Some even in NJ, and that speaks for itself how tough it is. Not as good as some schools, in my opinion, but still pretty decent.

those who have matched congrats, looked through the list, looks very good. I was just wondering those who have matched from your experience what would you recommend for someone looking to start in the next coming years specifically looking to go to sgu and primarily interested in primary care. I keep reading on these forums and some articles that the residency positions are getting very competitive and md and do schools have increased their numbers.

should i not bother to go to sgu since the competition here is getting worse? i do plan on doing a masters in some form of science or biomedical science and see how that goes and try for DO school, but i just wanted to hear from those matched about the hurled went through. If you have discuss this already, then i can just look at that thread.

those who have matched congrats, looked through the list, looks very good. I was just wondering those who have matched from your experience what would you recommend for someone looking to start in the next coming years specifically looking to go to sgu and primarily interested in primary care. I keep reading on these forums and some articles that the residency positions are getting very competitive and md and do schools have increased their numbers.

should i not bother to go to sgu since the competition here is getting worse? i do plan on doing a masters in some form of science or biomedical science and see how that goes and try for DO school, but i just wanted to hear from those matched about the hurled went through. If you have discuss this already, then i can just look at that thread.

i think you should first try getting into a US school be it MD or DO, because this will give you the best chance of matching into the best possible residency program, ( i am not talking about specialty, I mean residency program). too many times have I seen carib student who are awesome in terms of grades, board scores, personality, work ethic and they end up matching into a program that's by far bellow par of where they should have ended up. each specialty will have amazing university programs and crappy community programs, this will affect what kind of doctor you become. So just because you say I would be very happy with doing primary care doesn't mean you should be happy with settling for some crappy family practice residency at a community hospital where the attending physicians know less than you as a 4th year medical student, even if you want to do primary care you should strive for the best residency program possible, and getting into a top notch program for primary care although is a lot easier than for some other specialty is still extremely hard for carib grads. Thus you should only consider SGU as your last resort. simply because you want to improve your chances of not only being able to match at whatever specialty you want but also matching into the best possible residency program so that you can get the best training and become the best doctor you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Beat me to it. I count 8 rads. Also saw an integrated vascular surg, 2 neurosurg, 2 ortho. Not sure exactly what happened to the gas match this year. Competition in gas went down from what I've heard. Got some awesome gas positions on this list.

About the "neurosurgery matches":

First off - there are 2 listed under "PGY2" from the Class of 2010, and I'm not sure how this works, because U.S. neurosurgery positions are now 100% categorical (start with PGY1).

Second, one of them was with some hospital that's not a U.S. neurosurgery program as far as I know, it sounds like it's in England. Don't know anything about it (maybe it's good maybe it's not), but it's not a U.S. program.

Third, the other one was supposedly at UICOM-Peoria, when elsewhere (Uncle Harvey) it's listed that a guy from a U.S. MD school matched there this year, so I'm pretty sure that if true, this wasn't through the match.

Does anyone know how hard it is to get matched into EM or Anesthesiology from SGU? I can see a few in the matchlist but how hard is it? If I am determined to get an EM residency and do what is required of me, will it be fairly easy?
I'm asking this because I got accepted to SGU but I also have the option of going to Ireland. Don't know which is better.

i would pick sgu over ireland because of US clinical rotations. no school can o will garuntee you that you'll get the residency that you want. lots of people have matched into EM in the last 2 years from SGU. I've even heard of people getting prematches offered. but at the same time i know a guy who got offered a prematch and thought who would match into a better program and ended up not matching and had to scramble for a prelim spot. so you need both grades and luck to be successful in the match and no one can give you any sort of garuntee or anything because also you won't be matching for another 4 or 5 years depending when you start med school and lots of things will probably change by then.

what will improve your chances of matching into EM though is going to a US school and if you got into SGU i think you can most likely get into a DO school in the US, this will greatly increase your chance of matching in your desired specialty over going to both ireland and the caribbean.

i would pick sgu over ireland because of US clinical rotations. no school can o will garuntee you that you'll get the residency that you want. lots of people have matched into EM in the last 2 years from SGU. I've even heard of people getting prematches offered. but at the same time i know a guy who got offered a prematch and thought who would match into a better program and ended up not matching and had to scramble for a prelim spot. so you need both grades and luck to be successful in the match and no one can give you any sort of garuntee or anything because also you won't be matching for another 4 or 5 years depending when you start med school and lots of things will probably change by then.

what will improve your chances of matching into EM though is going to a US school and if you got into SGU i think you can most likely get into a DO school in the US, this will greatly increase your chance of matching in your desired specialty over going to both ireland and the caribbean.

I cannot go DO because I am Canadian.
Speaking of which, are these EM spots taken by US-IMGs? Do we have a significant disadvantage that we are Canadian too?

You can definitely go DO as a Canadian. 19 US schools take Canadians. Check out the AACOMAS site. Personally, highly recommend going US DO over Caribbean. I was gonna go Caribbean, until i discovered DO. Keep in mind that US DO will almost always match before Caribbean. And yes you do have a disadvantage as a Canadian in Caribbean because you dont have US passport or visa. Look into DO, you will probably be impressed.

ps. Im not trying to offend anyone on here, so please dont take my comments offensively.

I cannot go DO because I am Canadian.
Speaking of which, are these EM spots taken by US-IMGs? Do we have a significant disadvantage that we are Canadian too?

You can definitely go DO as a Canadian. 19 US schools take Canadians. Check out the AACOMAS site. Personally, highly recommend going US DO over Caribbean. I was gonna go Caribbean, until i discovered DO. Keep in mind that US DO will almost always match before Caribbean. And yes you do have a disadvantage as a Canadian in Caribbean because you dont have US passport or visa. Look into DO, you will probably be impressed.

ps. Im not trying to offend anyone on here, so please dont take my comments offensively.

You misunderstood what I meant. I did not mean that I will not be able to get into a DO school, I know I could.
But if I do graduate from a DO school, I will not be able to practice EM in canada. Not all provinces accept DOs and if they do they only accept them for FM.
Also, I would like to work somewhere other than North America in the future.

I am not sure where you get this information but I have to disagree. DOs can practice in ANY province, as long as you do an ACGME residency (MD residency) which most DO students do anyway. Only Sask and Newfoundland dont allow DO. And who wants to live their anyway (fingers crossed ur not from there)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteopathic_medicine_in_Canada

If you were to do an EM ACGME residency in the US, you most certainly can do it in the states. I guarantee going to SGU and trying to match into EM residency straight into Canada is not gonna happen. Im not trying to crush your dreams, but its true. However, if you do DO or EVEN SGU with US EM residency you stand a better chance (although i hesitate to say the SGU, especially if you arent there yet. Remember with health care reform, more US med schools opening, and less spots for Caribbean residencies)

Hope im not coming off as an ass, just trying to help a fellow canuck:)

However, I have no idea about practicing outside of N America for DO i do not imagine it being easy though

You misunderstood what I meant. I did not mean that I will not be able to get into a DO school, I know I could.
But if I do graduate from a DO school, I will not be able to practice EM in canada. Not all provinces accept DOs and if they do they only accept them for FM.
Also, I would like to work somewhere other than North America in the future.

I totally agree with DrC. you'll have much more options as a DO, sure you won't be able to match in Canada for residency but a very small percent of IMGs match in Canada anyway. As a Canadian citizen coming from the carib you'll be at a huge disadvantage compared to a US citizen. I personally know of 2 Canadians who were very bright and had great board scores from SGU who failed to match into General Surgery. Sure Gen. Surg might be a little more compeititive than EM but they were really good students and everyone who knew them was very surprised that they didn't match.

look into this DO thing carefully, because this is the rest of your life you're talking about, but if possible go to a DO school over any of the foriegn schools.

About the "neurosurgery matches":

Second, one of them was with some hospital that's not a U.S. neurosurgery program as far as I know, it sounds like it's in England.

It can't be in England, an American pretty much couldn't get a job here and they would have to start at the beginning even if they managed, meaning they would have to do 2 foundation years first, we don't go straight into specialty training.

It can't be in England, an American pretty much couldn't get a job here and they would have to start at the beginning even if they managed, meaning they would have to do 2 foundation years first, we don't go straight into specialty training.

there's only one neurosurg match this year it's at SUNY Upstate in NY.

we do have a number of UK citizens at our school, and a good number of 3rd and 4th year students do their clinical rotations at UK hospitals so it wouldn't be that impossible to get a residency there, maybe not specifically London England but somewhere in the UK.

we do have a number of UK citizens at our school, and a good number of 3rd and 4th year students do their clinical rotations at UK hospitals so it wouldn't be that impossible to get a residency there, maybe not specifically London England but somewhere in the UK.

Yeah, I only saw one on the list too, was just responding to what s/he said. Even if you do have UK students, they wouldn't be deemed qualified to start neurosurg training without doing the 2 foundation years. Also, neurosurg is a national application process, only those doing the best at the selection centre would get their first choice where to go, and for many that wouldn't be London so it's not necessarily more competitive in London than anywhere else. London is no better than anywhere else in the UK, the med schools aren't better, the training isn't better, I really don't know why all non-UK-ers seem to assume that it is. (Before people accuse me of being bitter or something, I got into med school in London and chose to go elsewhere).

Oh ok I see now.

Yeah there was a dude from SGU that apparently matched at SUNY-Upstate. Congratulations to him, I'm sure he's a great guy & very deserving.

Yeah, I only saw one on the list too, was just responding to what s/he said. Even if you do have UK students, they wouldn't be deemed qualified to start neurosurg training without doing the 2 foundation years. Also, neurosurg is a national application process, only those doing the best at the selection centre would get their first choice where to go, and for many that wouldn't be London so it's not necessarily more competitive in London than anywhere else. London is no better than anywhere else in the UK, the med schools aren't better, the training isn't better, I really don't know why all non-UK-ers seem to assume that it is. (Before people accuse me of being bitter or something, I got into med school in London and chose to go elsewhere).

I think people don't assume you'll get better training or anything but it would be a better place to live. Everyone who's young wants to live in or very close to a city. Most people when picking a residency pick it based on location and secondly on reputation/training. that's why a lot of really poor residency programs in NYC are very competitive not because they're great in terms of training or reputation but because NYC is a desirable place to live and residents a lot of times have subsidized housing making it affordable to live there.

I think people don't assume you'll get better training or anything but it would be a better place to live. Everyone who's young wants to live in or very close to a city. Most people when picking a residency pick it based on location and secondly on reputation/training. that's why a lot of really poor residency programs in NYC are very competitive not because they're great in terms of training or reputation but because NYC is a desirable place to live and residents a lot of times have subsidized housing making it affordable to live there.

Good point, that didn't even cross my mind. I have lived about 20 mins from London most of my life so I guess I just don't see it as a big deal.

Hey I read on this thread that as an alternative to MD, DO>Caribbean>Ireland. But what if I feel that I really need to study in a big university? I looked at most DO schools and Caribbean and I just would not be motivated to study there for a long time. And they also have this problem with clinical rotations where they are not affiliated with any teaching university hospital. Australia/Ireland have major universities where you learn from big shot professors and at the same time you can choose to take your subinternships anywhere you want (i.e. usa). So if you're going to be disadvantaged when applying for residencies, does it really matter where you go? Btw I feel that even if I get into a u.s. md program and do well on step1 I would still have a hard time matching just because i don't do well on interviews and i am not a likeable person.

p.s. I hate NYC. I think in usa the only good cities are Washington and upper New England (because it's next to Montreal) and maybe some fancy resort towns in the west but i've never been there.