MD & DO sGPA 3.3, MCAT 506,

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalCam13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Years in school: Graduated 3 years ago

Residence: CA

Ethnicity: Cambodian (considered URM per AAMC definition and per my prof who's a med school prof at UCSF)

Undergraduate school: UC Berkeley

Schools to which you're applying:

Wishing for the stars: UCSF, UCLA/Drew, UC Davis

Hopeful: Western U, Touro U (CA + NV), AZ Still U, Philadephia COM, Midwestern (AZ), Loyola Stritch (IL), NYIT COM, Hofstra U (NY), Roman U (NJ), Commonwealth U (NJ), Drexel U (PA), U of NV, U of SC.

cGPA: 3.46

sGPA: 3.33

MCAT: 506 127/125/128/126

Research: 1.5 years of bio-imaging research at Caltech and a summer in Ochem lab while in community college

Volunteer (Clinical): 1.5 years in Labor and Delivery, ER, Med Onc at regional hospital, summer internship at UCSF Liver Transplant

Physician shadowing: Shadowed doctor in the liver transplant, and a doctor who works with the Tenderloin district of San Francisco (who will write a letter for me).

Non-clinical volunteering: Leadership in supervising a campus-wide tutoring program in community college, and was president of Cambodian Student Association. Translator for Cambodian community events such as voter registrations.

Extracurricular:

Employment history: 2.5 years of nonprofit work with high school and college students of under-represented background, first gen college, and/or low-income. Promoted to program manager at 1.5 year mark, made structural changes to the organization that impacts 250+ high school students and 20+ college students. Acquired more than $200K in partnership and funding.

Unique Experiences: Immigrated from Cambodia at age 13, financially disadvantaged, first in family to go to college, first in family to enter health field. Learned to read own language at 12 years old. Went to high school with more than 90% free/reduced lunch population.

Goal as physician: To work with under-served population, hopefully in the Bay Area/SF. I believe I can make a positive impact on patients who I share similar life stories with through building trust and rapport as I have been able to with my students.

Thank you all your time and support in this. I very much appreciate the support you all give to everyone on the forum.

Members don't see this ad.

@gyngyn

Thank you for your info. I'll also check with the med schools when I give them a call with other questions.

On a separate note, might you be able to advise me on the schools that I should look to apply? I don't have a preference for schools as I'm most interested in primary care but I would prefer that the schools have a focus on working with an underserved population. I'm looking to spend this year strengthening my language skills in Spanish and Mandarin as well as cultural awareness of each.

@gyngyn

Thank you for your info. I'll also check with the med schools when I give them a call with other questions.

On a separate note, might you be able to advise me on the schools that I should look to apply? I don't have a preference for schools as I'm most interested in primary care but I would prefer that the schools have a focus on working with an underserved population. I'm looking to spend this year strengthening my language skills in Spanish and Mandarin as well as cultural awareness of each.
In addition to any schools where Cambodian healthcare disparities are recognized, I recommend the Jesuits, the Primes and Drew.
Let me know if any of the other CA schools have expanded their criteria!