sGPA 3.1, cGPA 3.3, MCAT ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaysi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
if you get 32+, a MD smp or even MD is possible if you can make sure your essays/recs are excellent and your gpa has a high upward curve; provided you are also in a state applicant friendly state. if you get below 32, then DO is the best option. I think 28-32 would give you the best shot at DO schools, since your gpa is even lower than DO averages. your chances at this point really depends on what you get on the MCAT

Just want to know my chances with the GPA's.
sGPA is at 3.0 (not 3.1) and cGPA at 3.3 Will apply to D.O. schools after I graduate (am going into senior year). Have 4 years of public health research, 2 years of lab research, bunch of random campus EC's + part time jobs, 120 hours volunteering for a nonprofit organization, and 100 hours of clinic volunteering overseas, and some hours shadowing under a D.O. Studying for MCATs at the moment and will take in January.

Will plan to apply to about ~18 D.O. schools ranging from the new ones (Campbell etc..) to the more older ones (PCOM..). What are my chances of getting in at least the lower tier ones? And what MCAT score you think I should have to supplement those chances? Or no matter how I do on MCAT, should I just go for a D.O. SMP? Thanks so much.
DO is your best shot now. Like the previous said, a 28+ will give you a decent shot at mid-to-low tiers DO schools. But if you are an URM (AA), you might get in with a lower mcat score--like 24+. With a MCAT score <26 , you might look into DO SMP but 26+ will give you a slim shot at direct admission.
AACOM Data on Averages for Matriculation by Race 2011

Data posted as cGPA | sGPA | MCAT.
Click on this text for the source document.

White: 3.50 | 3.38 | 26.52

Asian: 3.45 | 3.33 | 27.11

Hispanic/Latino: 3.45 | 3.33 | 25.30

Multiple Races (No Hispanic in the calculation): 3.44 | 3.28 | 26.37

Black/African-American: 3.32 | 3.14 | 22.31

Foreign: 3.46 | 3.41 | 28.35

Native American: 3.52 | 3.37 | 25.33

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the insight. Not a URM unfortunately. Did not work as hard because I didn't think I would go into med school because of financial problems but made a last minute decision to just take on a ****load of loans since this is what I've always wanted to do.

I appreciate the insight. Not a URM unfortunately. Did not work as hard because I didn't think I would go into med school because of financial problems but made a last minute decision to just take on a ****load of loans since this is what I've always wanted to do.
Study hard for the MCAT so you can get a 28+ . Good luck.

DO is your best shot now. Like the previous said, a 28+ will give you a decent shot at mid-to-low tiers DO schools. But if you are an URM (AA), you might get in with a lower mcat score--like 24+. With a MCAT score <26 , you might look into DO SMP but 26+ will give you a slim shot at direct admission.
AACOM Data on Averages for Matriculation by Race 2011

Data posted as cGPA | sGPA | MCAT.
Click on this text for the source document.

White: 3.50 | 3.38 | 26.52

Asian: 3.45 | 3.33 | 27.11

Hispanic/Latino: 3.45 | 3.33 | 25.30

Multiple Races (No Hispanic in the calculation): 3.44 | 3.28 | 26.37

Black/African-American: 3.32 | 3.14 | 22.31

Foreign: 3.46 | 3.41 | 28.35

Native American: 3.52 | 3.37 | 25.33

Wow, just wow! :eek: I dont know if i should be angry at the system or be sad for not being an AA.

Well, you're going into senior year. You have one full year to do some serious GPA repair. That can make a really big difference for DO schools. Take that into consideration. You can come out with a 3.2-3.3 sGPA depending on how many credits you've taken and whether or not you're retaking F's/D's/C's.

As for the MCAT, I hope we both kill it. I'm planning on taking it in Jan 2013 as well. :xf:
Good luck