***SFSU Cohort 6*** formal/aet/cct/premed/predental/ (etc.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ha, I guess fafsa and sfsu financial aid think I make too much money to qualify for stafford loans! poop.

Ugh. I think I figured out the discrepency, and I think I too will only end up with $7000 for fall/spring. So that portion is the unsubsidized Stafford which has a higher aggregate lifetime limit. So I have almost borrowed the entire amount in subsidized (capped at like 23K) but unsub caps at around 34K. So how much we get has to do with whether we have reached the aggregate limits on Staffords from our undergrad already.

Members don't see this ad.

Dress professional, be sure to know your application statements well, relax!
Everyone is really nice and easy going...it is still an interview, but it's certainly not rigorous.

Hi everyone

i just got an invitation for predental post bac program. i am excited yet very nervous about it. I would like to know how to prepare for the interview and what kind of questions do they ask during interview. any information is helpful and appreciated. thank u everyone. ~~

Members don't see this ad :)
accepted to pre-dental post bacc!! BOOM!!

Hi all! Congrats on getting in to the program! I'm officially going to be an AET starting this June and was wondering if any of you (especially AETs because it might be different for the CCTs) have heard anything about signing up for classes? I sent in my official intent to attend and the processing check but haven't heard anything since.

I even emailed the co-director as instructed and haven't heard anything back. I don't want to bug them, so just wondering if you're all in the same boat! Thanks again =P

Last edited:
Hi all! Congrats on getting in to the program! I'm officially going to be an AET starting this June and was wondering if any of you (especially AETs because it might be different for the CCTs) have heard anything about signing up for classes? I sent in my official intent to attend and the processing check but haven't heard anything since.

I even emailed the co-director as instructed and haven't heard anything back. I don't want to bug them, so just wondering if you're all in the same boat! Thanks again =P

Congrats!

I'm CCT, but I think we're all in the same boat. I think maybe since we all have priority registration it won't be a problem, registering so close to the start of classes. We'll probably get more info this week, now that they are done or nearly done dealing with apps, interviews, and acceptances.

Thanks Cowgirl! Congrats on being admitted too! How are you going to go about purchasing books for the summer? Are you going to wait until the first day of class or try and purchase books ahead of time? I don't live in the area and am trying to find the cheapest books possible. =)

Historically, I've purchased all my books online (either Half.com or Amazon). It's so much cheaper that way. Or you can ask around and see if students from previous cohorts may be selling their books from last years classes...

Historically, I've purchased all my books online (either Half.com or Amazon). It's so much cheaper that way. Or you can ask around and see if students from previous cohorts may be selling their books from last years classes...

Same here, I usually buy them used. If we can register by 2 weeks before, I'll order used.

Yeah! And Chegg.com rents books for periods of time so it may be a better deal if you only need the book for the semester. =)

So, who's planning on enrolling in Chem Bootcamp?

I'm still undecided.

What are they teaching in the bootcamp, anyway? Just basic high-school level chemistry, so that we can brush up on these concepts before gen-chem? I'm just wondering if it's worth it to enroll, or if I can do just as well in gen-chem this summer by just brushing up on this info on my own time...

I do, however, plan to enroll in math bootcamp.

Members don't see this ad :)
When exactly does the summer semester begin?

Interviewed May 7th. Received a call on the 10th. Accepted and will be attending the post bacc dental program :]

Sooooo, I just realized that this internship I'm doing is going to require me to miss one class per week (I'm only taking Calculus, not Chem). Does anyone have an idea/opinion on how receptive they might be to this? I have to do at least one 6am-1pm or 12pm-7pm shift at my UC Davis Surgical internship during a weekday per week and that directly conflicts with classtime (especially during travel).

Oi!

Also, I just looked at the weekly schedule again and it looks like one of the Chem sections overlaps with Calculus lecture three times a week so maybe missing once a week would be okay? Or maybe that's for people who don't need to take Calculus?

Do people think I should ask Rothman now or wait for the our suggested schedules to be sent and then ask the professor? Also, are there any note-taking services?

Also, I just looked at the weekly schedule again and it looks like one of the Chem sections overlaps with Calculus lecture three times a week so maybe missing once a week would be okay? Or maybe that's for people who don't need to take Calculus?

Do people think I should ask Rothman now or wait for the our suggested schedules to be sent and then ask the professor? Also, are there any note-taking services?

That's only one of the chem lab sections, probably only for folks who are not taking pre-calc or calc. If you are taking math I would guess you would be placed in the other chem lab.

Not sure what to tell ya about your conflict :-/
It is probably against college policy to miss more than a certain number of class hours.

Sooooo, I just realized that this internship I'm doing is going to require me to miss one class per week (I'm only taking Calculus, not Chem). Does anyone have an idea/opinion on how receptive they might be to this? I have to do at least one 6am-1pm or 12pm-7pm shift at my UC Davis Surgical internship during a weekday per week and that directly conflicts with classtime (especially during travel).

Oi!

I think nobody is going to stop you if you want to miss one class a week, but you're doing it at your own risk. Also, I would imagine that commute from Davis to SF (especially the 6am one) would be awful :(

I think the amount in Stafford Loans varies depending on your financial situation. Everybody's FAFSA report is different. Some people may get more money and some people may get less. Still, when I spoke to Barbara in the financial aid office, she very clearly told me that loans are capped at $7500 for the first year and that nearly all students end up taking private loans. Give her a call and confirm maybe? And I'd also like to know about loan disbursement. Our classes start in June and the financial aid year is for 2011-2012 which starts in Fall. So that means we don't have access to those loans until the fall semester?

I also spoke to Barbara and she said the same. $7,500 for the summer (counting for the 2010-2011 school year), and another $7,500 for the Fall/Spring/Summer (2011-2012 school year). Kind of awkward timing as many of us are under 24 years of age/this is technically considered an undergraduate program so we are still considered dependents (I'm guessing you already knew that)...thus why we max out at $7,500 in Stafford. Not sure if turning 24 in the coming years will greatly affect the amount of federal $$ we can receive later. Also, Barbara informed me that we are not eligible for Perkins Loans in this program.

On a related note--does anyone have suggestions on good lenders for private loans? I've done some reading on capitalization and interest rates and it seems like there are endless options to weigh out there...

Oh, and congrats everyone!! Looking forward to the next couple years :)

I also spoke to Barbara and she said the same. $7,500 for the summer (counting for the 2010-2011 school year), and another $7,500 for the Fall/Spring/Summer (2011-2012 school year). Kind of awkward timing as many of us are under 24 years of age/this is technically considered an undergraduate program so we are still considered dependents (I'm guessing you already knew that)...thus why we max out at $7,500 in Stafford. Not sure if turning 24 in the coming years will greatly affect the amount of federal $$ we can receive later. Also, Barbara informed me that we are not eligible for Perkins Loans in this program.

On a related note--does anyone have suggestions on good lenders for private loans? I've done some reading on capitalization and interest rates and it seems like there are endless options to weigh out there...

Congrats!
About the financial aid... We each are going to have a different situation. There is no one-size-fits-all. For example, I didn't even start my B.A. until after I was 24 and independent. Not all of us are traditional students. I qualify for $12,500. However because I took out so much during undergrad I actually can only take out $6,675 (there is a lifetime aggregate cap on undergrad staffords).
The best way to know what you qualify for personally is to look at your SAR and fill out the forms for SFSU summer aid.

I faxed in my summer aid form last week, and got my official summer aid letter in the mail today.

Good luck everyone! Paying for this won't be easy but it WILL be worth it :-D

I looked into getting a private loan for a little while, Sallie Mae Bank is a good educational lender. It's easy to qualify for a loan, however their interest rates are pretty high.

So I got accepted a while back for AET, submitted the statement of intent and haven't heard anything back. Has anyone heard back from Dr. Shannon Anderson about the courses? or anyone in general regarding more details for the summer? It's coming up and it'll all feel rushed with little time...

Hmmmm... i want info for this summer! No word yet?

I got my summer aid offer letter.
Nothing else.
Bummer.
As a CCT I don't see any reason to worry, since the curriculum is set. But this seems to do little to ease my excitement about getting some info! lol

Anyone have contact info for our program, other than what's on the website?

Looks like the information we've been waiting for will come Friday. Woohoo!

Glad they received my 500, haha. Anyone else get the email from Shannon? I JUST got it, so if you haven't, don't freak :)

Looks like the information we've been waiting for will come Friday. Woohoo!

Glad they received my 500, haha. Anyone else get the email from Shannon? I JUST got it, so if you haven't, don't freak :)

Me too :)

I'm exploring my options for doing a pre-dent post-bac/smp program. I'm hoping some of you guys can help me out here.

What are the pros and cons of the aet program compared to an actual smp program (Masters Degree)?

I have some pre-reqs that I would like to retake as well. Is there any linkage with the aet program at sfsu to any of the dental schools?
Also, for those entering the aet program, which classes are you thinking about taking that will help you get in to ds?

I'm exploring my options for doing a pre-dent post-bac/smp program. I'm hoping some of you guys can help me out here.

What are the pros and cons of the aet program compared to an actual smp program (Masters Degree)?

I have some pre-reqs that I would like to retake as well. Is there any linkage with the aet program at sfsu to any of the dental schools?
Also, for those entering the aet program, which classes are you thinking about taking that will help you get in to ds?

Generally speaking, the advantage of an undergrad vs smp, is you can improve your undergrad gpa. You would do better to read the entire "Official SFSU Post-Bacc..." thread. It is several pages long and much more general. It would be better for posting your question. This thread is for Cohort 6, not that your questions wouldn't be welcome, but our program has not even started yet. The general sfsu thread has more info.

Good Luck!

Thank you for your help first of all!

Now, if I understand correctly, the aet program at sfsu are not for those needing to take undergrad/prereq courses right? Students in the aet program chose to take more upperdiv electives. What advantage does this have over an smp program in being accepted to a ds?

Thank you for your help first of all!

Now, if I understand correctly, the aet program at sfsu are not for those needing to take undergrad/prereq courses right? Students in the aet program chose to take more upperdiv electives. What advantage does this have over an smp program in being accepted to a ds?

I am CCT but yes, AET have all or most of the core classes, and take upper-division classes to improve their GPA and prove their ability to do well.
If you do an SMP, you do not improve your undergrad GPA. So it depends on what your undergrad grades look like.

The electives taken under AET do not improve undergrad gpa either right?

They do. The electives are mostly upper division biology/chemistry courses, which also improves the 'science' GPA.

Ok I did not know that!

On the other hand, if I take those same courses in an SMP, will they improve said 'science' gpa since they are taken during a masters program instead of just post-bac?

Ok I did not know that!

On the other hand, if I take those same courses in an SMP, will they improve said 'science' gpa since they are taken during a masters program instead of just post-bac?

No, an SMP cannot improve your undergrad gpa. Only undergrad classes (in an any undergrad program in any college) can improve an undergrad gpa, graduate courses only count toward a graduate degree/gpa. Not sure how many more ways this can be said.
You really should read through the threads, the answers to your questions are already posted in many many threads.