SF Match Screwed up AGAIN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It looks like the match rate for our class was 52%.

Count your blessings people! HALF of the 800-something people who wanted to go into ophtho did not match!

Members don't see this ad.

you also have to consider those like myself, who registered for the sfmatch, but ultimately decided on another specialty before ever applying to any programs. although i'm included with the 800+ people who registered, clearly i should not be factored into the match rate

That was the 2006 match report- the 2007 is attached below. Also, I think some are misreading the report. the "89% US grad" match is the percent of positions filled this year by US grads-- *NOT* 89% match rate for US grads. Azzarah's #'s are more correct.

No, that number IS the percent of U.S. seniors who match.

Those figures represent:
1) the percentage of people who turned in rank lists and matched (Overall)
2) the percentage of U.S. seniors who turned in rank lists and matched
3) the percentage of U.S. grads who did so
4) the percentage of IMGs who turned in rank lists and matched.

I'm not matching in Ophtho, but there's a report for each specialty, and I guess it's a little clearer for mine. Or maybe it's just been explained to me at some point. I don't know. I just know that that's what those numbers represent.

If you doubt me, you can call SF Match and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just about everyone I've known in every field who has not ended up in their top three ends up feeling rejected. I was very confident, based on conversations with people who had talked to people at my top choice that I would end up there. I didn't. I was hurt, disappointed, upset after. I was hoping for a call that there had been a mistake, and they were re-running the match. It never came. I ended up at a program that was perfect for me, and I'm very glad it worked out this way. Just remember this, you matched. You're getting the opportunity to practice ophthalmology, and there are a lot of people who would like to be in your shoes.

When I applied, most people applied to 30-35 programs. More and more people are applying to 50, 60, or more. This makes the application and match process much less predictable than it was in years past. It throws off the interviews offered, interviews accepted, attended, and the expectations from the ranklist. For this reason, IMO, success of past years is no indication of what things are now.

For the people who matched lower than they expected, be VERY careful what you wish for. Let's say an irregularity is discovered and the re-run the match. Some people will end up higher, some will end up lower. Everyone believes they will end up higher on their list, but that's not necessarily the case. The first year that urology reran the match, I knew someone who matched the first time (lower than expected), and then, rather than moving up his list, didn't match the second time through. The only people who should REALLY be pushing to find irregularities are those who didn't match.

These are great points. For those of you who are "disappointed" that you went down your rank list... please. It's certainly a blow to the ego to know that you didn't end up exactly where you wanted, but assuming you ranked programs that you would be happy training at, you'll be fine. If you're not happy, you can always give up your spot - I'm sure there are plenty of people who would take your spot in a heartbeat.

I truly apologize for all those who MATCHED and who claim (and hope) sfm screwed up. Despite matching in one of the most competitive fields AND within the world's greatest nation, now –I guess- you are relegated to training in ophthalmology at your umpteenth choice.

One way to fix this wrongdoing, is to kindly ask your dean's office to investigate this by calling your first choice and asking them to find out where your first choice ranked you. Then, if you're not happy with that answer, have them call every place on your list and ask them to do the same. If that does not sooth you're egotistical perception of justice, just sue SFM with the hopes of forcing them to rematch everyone.

Or, even easier, you could just call the place where you matched and tell them "thank you for accepting me, but I would rather not accept the position… yes I know this breaks the ranking rules but I would rather give up this position to someone who can appreciate it…as I plan to reapply next year, with the hopes of matching higher on my list."

I did match… but frankly I would have been elated to go to any place on my rank list, even my last choice… my love for this field would have even brought me to a residency in Iraq.

For those who chose the latter... please pm KSUJedi (see below), as I am sure he will be happy with his new spot.

I applied to 90 programs, didn't match. Would've been grateful to go anywhere & practice this field that I love. If you want to tell your program that you're so unhappy to have matched at that they should give the spot to me, I'm game. Let me know...

With all due respect...

I matched very highly on my list, and though I would be the last to plead for a recount, its not impossible to think that they could have botched as many matches as they did applications. They left my name off the match list send to my school via fax. If they were infalliable that would def. not happen! Simply put, I don't think anyone could ever trust SF/CAS...So with that lack of trust, I think its fair for people to be upset no matter what. Not saying its right or wrong, just understandable!

With all due respect...

I matched very highly on my list, and though I would be the last to plead for a recount, its not impossible to think that they could have botched as many matches as they did applications. They left my name off the match list send to my school via fax. If they were infalliable that would def. not happen! Simply put, I don't think anyone could ever trust SF/CAS...So with that lack of trust, I think its fair for people to be upset no matter what. Not saying its right or wrong, just understandable!

That's exactly it. I'm sure that the people who matched, no matter how low on their list, are grateful to have matched at all. But given that SF match is not exactly the most reliable of organizations, it's completely understandable that they want to make sure that there were no mistakes made with the match.

Those figures represent:

The percentages definitely represent:

the percent of those who matched who are US seniors: 399/449= 89%
the percent of those who matched who are US grads 25/449=6%
percent of those who matched who are IMGs: 25/449 = 6%

They do NOT represent the percent of US seniors who matched, etc, etc.

the 69% represent the number who matched/number who turned in rank lists
= 449/648 = 69%

If you use CAS participants or registrations as the denominator, the percent who matched decreases further. That might be reasonable if CAS participants are those who didn't turn in rank lists because they didn't get an interview. But there might be other reasons for not turning in a rank list.

in terms of those who matched much lower than they thought, it's really normal to feel disappointed (even while grateful that one matched.) But things really do work out for the best most of the time and often are blessings in disguise.

Those figures represent:

I'm not matching in Ophtho, but there's a report for each specialty, and I guess it's a little clearer for mine. Or maybe it's just been explained to me at some point. I don't know. I just know that that's what those numbers represent.

The # of registrations are the people who paid to register (855). This would be an overall match rate of (449/855=52%). Now like tarheel 26 pointed out, some people back out. This would be you tarheel. There are not many though.

The next # is the CAS participants which is (792). This is the number that pay and turn in applications. Some may argue that some people do this and back out...but I feel this # would be very small after putting in the money. Therefore, the ACTUAL overall match rate is ~(449/792=57%). Now the 69% overall you see listed does not count in the people who did not get an interview. And yes, I do know of people that this happened to.

The next # are rank lists (648). Subtract that from 792 (792-648=144). So 144 people do not get an interview, or did not rank anything.

89% US seniors does not mean that ~9/10 or 90% of fourth years match. It is the percent of incoming ophthalmology residents that is made up of US seniors. Why? Well, look at the last couple years and look at Pct matching:

US seniors + US grads + IMGs always adds up to 100%. Well, to be exact it always adds up to 99-101% because they round the numbers. Sorry, lets make this easier. Look at the total # of spots (449). Now look at (US seniors 399 + US grads 25 + IMGS 25 = 449). The 89% comes from (399/449=88.864% or 89%).

Therefore we do not know the exact percentage of US seniors that match because we do not know # of CAS Participants (those that send out apps) that are US seniors. It would be (399/ 399 to 742). Where did I get 742: it is (792- (25 IMGs+25 US grads). So if there were only 399 US seniors that applied it would be a 100% match rate :D . But we all know that is ridiculous.

Some may say that the SDN poll is close to 88% match rate. We all know that the kids reading this forum are the type who all well informed and will most likely match...right. Plus we have great advice from Dr. Doan. Sooooo....so much for the poll.

And we also know that the US seniors who apply are a self selected group...med students all know specialties like Plastics, Derm, Ophtho, ENT, Urology are competitive, therefore they don't waste their money unless they think they have a chance. I mean the ave. Board score was 231 (Derm was 233 last year, plastics was 231).

Well, lets skip all the numbers and just agree that ophthalmology is competitive.

Sorry for the rant, but I just don't want med students thinking that they have a 90% chance of matching. I don't want to talk people out of it either, I just want the kiddos out there to know that they can match competitive specialties...it just takes dedication, hard work, and a little :luck:

Congrats to all who just matched...I hope you are enjoying the weekend!

Can someone please post the match report as a file, and not as a link (need a password this way). Thanks!

For all the people concerned about the results, I would definitely try to figure it out. It sounds like the SFmatch didn't run very smoothly this year.

The username is: ophthalmology
Password: applicant

To clarify, let's look at the corresponding numbers for neurosurgery:

# of rank lists turned in: NS 261
#Matched: NS 165
--US seniors: NS 141
--US grads: NS 9
--IMGs: NS 15
Percent Matching:
Overall: NS 63% (165/261)
--US seniors: NS 88% (141/160)
--US grads: NS 50% (9/18)
--IMGs: NS 26% (15/58)

The math on the neuro side is a little confusing, because the 261 overall number includes people who withdrew rather than sending in a rank list, but the subcategories don't include withdrawals.

And it doesn't add up to 100%.

I'm looking at the ophtho report more closely, and I wonder if they haven't been reporting it wrong this whole time. I mean, the numbers they're giving you are worthless. They should mean the same as they do for neurosurgery, and you should be able to do a regression calculation from them to determine the relative numbers of applicants.

I don't know. I'd complain if I were y'all.

Looking more closely, the way the numbers were reported in the 2006 report are different from the 2007 report even for the previous years.

Jan 06 report
2006: US Seniors - 88%, US Grads - 62%, IMG - 21%
Here it does look like those are the percentages of the categories who matched.

Jan 2007 Report
2006 - US seniors - 86% (382/446) US grads - 9% (38/446) and IMG - 6% (26/446)
These numbers seem to represent the percent of those who matched who are US seniors, US grads, and IMGs,

In the 2007 report all these numbers throughout the years do add up to 100% with some rounding variation and are different from those reported in the 2006 report.

It's not clear why they would change the reporting format, but they seem to have done so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. You're right, I matched last year and I thought something looked different this year...I just couldn't figure out what it was. I wonder why they did that.

Hi Everyone. I just want to de-bunk the myth that everyone matches low on their rank order list. I matched at my #1 choice. I only applied to 12 programs. Got invited to 4 interviews, ;and I only went on 3 interviews and I only ranked 2 programs, and I matched. I had high USMLE 1 and 2 scores and high GPA, but absolutely no research and no LOR from an ophthalmologist. So it all depends on how charismatic and convincing you are in the interview. I knew after my interview at all 3 my interviews, I had a good shot of getting the program. That is why I only ranked 2 places, because the 3rd place was not in a big city and I did not want to end up there. Congradulations everyone. No matter where you matched, Ophtho is amazing, and you should be thrilled to be part of the neatest field in medicine...afterall we do preserve and restore vision...the greatest of the human senses.

Hi Everyone. I just want to de-bunk the myth that everyone matches low on their rank order list. I matched at my #1 choice. I only applied to 12 programs. Got invited to 4 interviews, ;and I only went on 3 interviews and I only ranked 2 programs, and I matched. I had high USMLE 1 and 2 scores and high GPA, but absolutely no research and no LOR from an ophthalmologist. So it all depends on how charismatic and convincing you are in the interview. I knew after my interview at all 3 my interviews, I had a good shot of getting the program. That is why I only ranked 2 places, because the 3rd place was not in a big city and I did not want to end up there. Congradulations everyone. No matter where you matched, Ophtho is amazing, and you should be thrilled to be part of the neatest field in medicine...afterall we do preserve and restore vision...the greatest of the human senses.

Troll? I question someone's interest in ophthalmology if they left programs off their rank list. Basically, you're saying that I would rather do another specialty than live in a small town. Interesting.

That's the problem with ophthalmology being competitive. Someone with high board scores ends up with a spot, while someone else who truly loves the profession gets screwed. I'm sure there are people who didn't match who would train in Uncle Jesse's backyard if you let em'

Congradulations to your match.

wow, congratulations! BouncyEye gives offers some insight in that charisma will carry you far. but for those of you that are applying to ophthalmology in the future, experiences like this are the exception rather than the norm. strive for a LOR from an ophthalmologist and apply to far more programs than 4.

I feel that if the experiences of many candidates with the SF Match has been poor, we should initiate moves with our faculty and professors and see whether Ophthalmology can pull out of SF Match. ERAS is a much better system and a LOT more transparent. At least future generations would be better off. The only advantage I currently see with the SF Match is that you know earlier than most that you have matched and can plan accordingly.

Just wanted to add that I matched into my first choice and am extremely grateful for that. My only problem is that SF Match is not very efficient.

I am also curious to know which program will be getting 199 unmatched folks applications....

Besides Stony Brook, that is.

Yes, I would also like to know as to which program has a vacancy besides Stony Brook.
Also I feel sfmatch screwed big time this year and we need a rematch, I had 12 interviews and did not match, my 2 other friends had 7 each and did not match either. I feel they screwed big time. Could something be done?

I feel that if the experiences of many candidates with the SF Match has been poor, we should initiate moves with our faculty and professors and see whether Ophthalmology can pull out of SF Match. ERAS is a much better system and a LOT more transparent. At least future generations would be better off. The only advantage I currently see with the SF Match is that you know earlier than most that you have matched and can plan accordingly.

The program directors I've talked to are no happier with SFmatch than everyone here, I can tell you that. There are several of them who would definitely like to switch to the NRMP.

The biggest downside would be losing the early match. In addition to being able to plan early, find apartments/houses, etc, people who don't match still have time to apply for something else. It's a lot easier to do that with 2 months than with 2 days.

Dave

Urology is early match. They use ERAS to distrube documents, then have the AUA run their own match. I thought the actual match day ran efficiently, it was the distribution process that needs dramatic revision. ERAS should be used for distribution, then SF Match could run the early match.

Kudos to stony brook (my alma) for getting their own program - how many spots do they have and how many are unfilled?

Yes, I would also like to know as to which program has a vacancy besides Stony Brook.
Also I feel sfmatch screwed big time this year and we need a rematch, I had 12 interviews and did not match, my 2 other friends had 7 each and did not match either. I feel they screwed big time. Could something be done?