Setting the record straight on work hour violations in neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilesDavisTheDoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it happen everywhere or are programs universally trying their best to actually not go over 88 hours a week? It is shocking how many people I have heard give both "yes" and "no" as a response to this question. I've heard some residents tell me I'd be crazy to expect anything less than 90+ hours a week for 7-9 years and others tell me their program actually sticks to the 88 and is often even lower. I'm sure the reason for this is that this is obviously a program-dependent issue, but I'm curious as to whether which program is the outlier. The consistent 90+ hours a week or the consistent 88 or under hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Does it happen everywhere or are programs universally trying their best to actually not go over 88 hours a week? It is shocking how many people I have heard give both "yes" and "no" as a response to this question. I've heard some residents tell me I'd be crazy to expect anything less than 90+ hours a week for 7-9 years and others tell me their program actually sticks to the 88 and is often even lower. I'm sure the reason for this is that this is obviously a program-dependent issue, but I'm curious as to whether which program is the outlier. The consistent 90+ hours a week or the consistent 88 or under hours.
This is program, year, and rotation dependent. Some rotations the residents are clearly working long hours on others they are working fairly regular hours . Atleast at the two programs I have seen.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on the program AND the particular rotation. Duty hour violations never happened on the VA rotation, for instance. If the jr residents went over duty hours on any particular rotation, the senior residents/fellows/attendings would get in trouble and the Program Director would threaten to take control over the call schedule. I would say our PD took duty hours pretty seriously but was pretty much chill about everything else