Serving Foreigners

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J.opt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.optometric.com/archive_results.asp?article=70822

I?ve worked in the Denver Metro area for the last few summers, and it?s evident that compared to Americans, foreign nationals living in the U.S. are less likely to have a family doctor, go to see an optometrist, or to visit a dentist, or any other type of health care provider. Quite often this is not because of the lack of economic resources, but it?s more because they don?t feel welcome at a doctor?s office.
I?ve met people who drive all the way across town just to see a certain doctor that would treat them nicely. However, often times this doctor is below average when it comes to knowledge and competency.
I was just reading this article at the OM website and it gave me the thinking. Are optometrists taking advantage of the medically underserved foreign population in the U.S.? Shouldn?t optometry practices (and other health providing practices and hospitals) be more aware that there are a large number of people who are in the need of their services, but aren?t receiving them because of what may be labeled as called ?cultural differences??

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by J.opt
"...http://www.optometric.com/archive_results.asp?article=70822...Are optometrists taking advantage of the medically underserved foreign population in the U.S.? Shouldn?t optometry practices (and other health providing practices and hospitals) be more aware that there are a large number of people who are in the need of their services, but aren?t receiving them because of what may be labeled as called ?cultural differences??

Dear J.opt,

Would you be talking about the socially-economic underserved or just medically underserved (can afford to pay from their own pockets) ?

Richard_Hom

I?m talking about the people who have the money to visit a doctor, but don?t do it because they feel out of place when they enter a doctor?s office.