Seriously Reconsidering Med School Given recent SHOCK of Grades (Dreams Ruined)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floroberg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you working a job outside of school for long hours, heavily involved otherwise? You need to evaluate why you are doing poorly - when it doesnt seem like you have much on your plate.

Prove to yourself you can do much better in term 2 of year 2, and then you can re-evaluate. I'm assuming you will be taking 5 years for your degree anyways, since your still taking first year courses in second year - so you have time to improve and bring our grades up to be competitive.

But you need to first figure out why you're doing poorly, fix it ,and do well this term to regain confidence.

Thank you for your reply UBC2014! No I am not working a job outside of school. I've just been dealing with some issues but I believe I can look past it now. I will most likely end up taking 5 years even though I still plan to take some courses over the summer. I have already identified key areas that I need to work on to improve such as time management (i.e. consistent and regular review of course material throughout the entire semester and not a week or two before a midterm or final). As well as formulating an actual weekly study schedule and to stick with it no matter what! I feel after I have implemented these changes I can greatly improve my grades.

Also this may or may not have been clarified in my original post but I am currently attending a Canadian university and would be applying as an international Canadian student in the States. I also plan to rock the MCAT and built up my extracurriculars as much as possible without affecting my grades.

Given all this information, what GPA should I hope to attain realistically to even be considered in the States?

Thank You
LOL. I'm glad you plan to "rock the MCAT". However, most people don't try to do poorly....

Optimism is cute, but thinking like that won't get you anywhere closer to med school. You have a long way to go before even thinking of that-and if you're struggling with time magament now, studying during the summer isn't any easier

You're still early enough that you can bring up your GPA, but you should see a learning counsellor or academic advisor since what you are doing is not working. Just trying harder is unlikely to be enough to really make the difference to get straight As from here.