Sequestration and healthcare ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Sequestration starts tomorrow and it will have side effects on healthcare. Here's my post in Podiatry Today on the effect. Wish it was better news.

Members don't see this ad.

The American College of Physician Executives released a poll showing that most physicians expect their organizations to be impacted negatively by the budget cuts in the sequester.

"No matter what your opinion on the sequester budget cuts, this illustrates the deep level of engagement our physicians have," said Peter Angood, MD, CEO of ACPE. "Part of our mission at ACPE is to provide a platform for the fair and balanced voice of physician leadership, which we believe will resonate in Washington."

Another common sentiment expressed in the poll was a fear the full effect of the budget cuts won't be known for some time. By then, any potential damage to the health care system may be difficult to reverse.

Craig Slater , MD, MBA, wrote: "While the sequestration may not be Armageddon, the impact on hospitals will likely be long-lasting and painful."

Members don't see this ad :)
Should students be avoiding VA residencies? Or are all residencies equally affected? Last thing any of us would want is to secure a residency only to have it dissolve half way through.

Should students be avoiding VA residencies? Or are all residencies equally affected? Last thing any of us would want is to secure a residency only to have it dissolve half way through.

Personally, I think the VA residencies are rather safe. The government won't discontinue residency programs, they'll just start paying less for them. Then for-profit hospitals and non-for-profit institutions will have to make a choice, continue the residency with a "loss" or discontinue it. So it will be the institutions that make the decision.

In the VA, residents do a lot of work. They're cheap help. They're cost effective for the VA. So, my personal opinion is that VA residencies, even if funding is reduced to VAs in general, won't see any real change in residencies.

Personally, I think the VA residencies are rather safe. The government won't discontinue residency programs, they'll just start paying less for them. Then for-profit hospitals and non-for-profit institutions will have to make a choice, continue the residency with a "loss" or discontinue it. So it will be the institutions that make the decision.

In the VA, residents do a lot of work. They're cheap help. They're cost effective for the VA. So, my personal opinion is that VA residencies, even if funding is reduced to VAs in general, won't see any real change in residencies.

Thanks for the reply.

I should have chose VA clerkships :)