~~~Sept 3rd MCAT -Is it the worth it??~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys....i just wanted to know if it is worth taking MCAT on Sept 3rd...it is my 1st time..I think i will do fine. I filled the AMCAS already but the results wont get back till october...I know it decreases my chances to any med school but do you guys think it is still worth taking the MCAT and applying to schools OR should i take a year off and sent the application next year???any help please

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hi guys....i just wanted to know if it is worth taking MCAT on Sept 3rd...it is my 1st time..I think i will do fine. I filled the AMCAS already but the results wont get back till october...I know it decreases my chances to any med school but do you guys think it is still worth taking the MCAT and applying to schools OR should i take a year off and sent the application next year???any help please

It is impossible to give you any meaningful advice without at least a glimpse of your stats, which schools you are looking into, etc.

i only had a few weeks to study for MCAT and i stand around 30..but i still have a less than 3 weeks and hopefully i can bring it up a little higher (32)..i didnt take any courses but have kaplan review materials and aamc practice exams...about the schools i am applying to NYU,cornell,UMDNJ, UMDNJ-RWJMS, emory, mayo, albert einstein, jefferson, drexel, loyola, mount sinai....my GPA is good (3.9)...have research experience, doctor shadowing experience, etc..is that enough???

i say go for it. Your GPA is really good and if u think ur ready, being in october shouldnt hurt u to badly. Plus waiting a year sux.

Members don't see this ad :)
For some of those schools, especially Emory and Cornell, a 32 is on the very low end. Both schools average a 35.

You have a great shot at acceptance, and possibly to those programs, but a lesser shot than if you applied earlier. It is prudent to apply to more schools than you are currently considering at this point in the application cycle. With a 30-32 you will probably get an acceptance if you apply broader.

thanx stigma and ninjan...and about good schools such as emory, cornell, etc..when approximately is the end of their invites for interviews...do you think by october is too late???

For some of those schools, especially Emory and Cornell, a 32 is on the very low end. Both schools average a 35.
General random question- it seems like all the top schools average a 35 on the MCAT (one or two might be higher), but when I last looked at MSAR at least 20 schools or so have that average. I don't know just seemed interesting- I expected more variation.