separate section for professional work?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reviewing the instructions on the AACOMAS website, it seems that there is a separate section on the application for professional course work that DOES NOT get calculated in any GPA. Are they trying tell me that none of the sciences I did in Chiropractic school (ie. Biochem, Anatomy, Histology etc.) will be counted toward any GPA. That seems a little biased, I put in 4 years Post BS and none of it counted! Am I reading this right. Any comments.......

Members don't see this ad.

Have you looked at the instructions or help button for a definition of what is considered professional coursework?

Chiro school grades should count somewhere, but they'll probably be separate (like grad school would be).

Professional coursework may not be the correct place to put chiro grades (I thought the section was for continuing ed, but I really don't remember for sure...been a while).

You can always call or email AACOMAS and ask them. I had to do so when I applied and they were very nice & helpful.

Thanks for the reply mom. I did read the help section. It said if you took classes that were not counted toward the DC degree while in the program then they would count in GPA. But as for the DC courses they are all considered professional coursework and count for nothing in terms of GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm. I still think that you should call AACOMAS just to be sure you're clear on this one. Maybe they just keep the GPA counted separately. Can't hurt to call.

Originally posted by BMW19
Are they trying tell me that none of the sciences I did in Chiropractic school ... will be counted toward any GPA. That seems a little biased, I put in 4 years Post BS and none of it counted!

Biased? Towards what? Nurses, paramedics, PA's all get this treatment. It seems like what AACOMAS wants on the PSAR is the stuff that AMCAS doesn't want at all.

E.g. AACOMAS wants my paramedic transcripts, but AMCAS doesn't care, as these courses where not taken at an accredited, degree-granting school. Seems like AACOMAS "cares" more!

Paramed,

I am not trying to downplay your achievements, I was a paramedic as well. But after putting in 4 years toward a doctorate degree I thought at least my sciences would count for something. I see eye to eye with you about the allopathic application that is why I am not bothering to apply to allopathic schools.

I didn't think for a moment that you were denigrating my medic courses. They were indeed valuable; much of the MCAT material comes right out of the DOT curriculum!

The reality, though, is that these courses were not taken from a "regionally-accredited" degree-granting institution. I belive that is the nub of the issue, as seen by AMCAS & AACOMAS.

Oddly enough, I no recall a post by a pre-osteo, DcK , who was lamenting his poor grades in DC school, and how they would look on his/her AAMCOMAS app. Check out http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=682060#post682060post682060 for another perspective!