Separate Personal Statement/Rec Letters for Intern Year Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermie1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to intern prelim/transitional year programs (aiming probably around 20 to make sure I match). Anyway, I'm applying dermatology and have my personal statement draft completed. Just wondering if you need to (1) write a separate intern personal statement and (2) get all new rec letters for your intern application.

My current personal statement is obviously geared towards a dermatology audience so it's very specific to that specialty. I was thinking of just adding a sentence at the end along the lines "An internal year in internal medicine is a vital part to achieving these goals and will prepare me to recognize and treat complex....blah blah blah". Is that good enough? Or do I need to write a whole separate personal statement.

For rec letters, I have 3 derm + 2 medicine.
For derm, I was gonna do 3 derm + 1 medicine. And for intern year, I was gonna do 2 derm + 2 medicine.

Is 2 derm letters OK for intern year? Or do I need to ask around for other recs?

Thanks all. Realize there are other threads about this in the past, but they're all from 2004.

Members don't see this ad.

I did radiology and TY. I used the same personal statement for both. Got around 10 TY interviews. I'm pretty sure they realize you are only going to be there for a year and using your derm PS is ok.