Separate personal statement for prelim or transitional year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alabaster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I were to be applying in anesthesia and needed to apply separately to a transitional year or medicine prelim program, would I have to write a separate personal statement? i.e. do I have to write why I want to be a transitional intern or do they get it that I actually DON'T want to be one and that it is just a necessary stepping stone? and therefore my anesthesia personal statement will suffice.
Thanks for any help

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a very similar boat as you are in that I'm applying to PM&R and so my necessary stepping stone is transitional year. I was faced with the same problem, but after seeing the numerous forums on SDN regarding this point as well as asking PD's, current residents, etc. I realized the vast majority say the same thing: use your primary LOR (ie. anesth) and then add a little blurb to the beginning or end summing up why that program or why a transitional year will prepare you or whatever you wanna BS about. Took me an extra 5 minutes to add 4-5 sentences to the end of my primary LOR. Hope this helps.