Sensory NCS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dansk2011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone doing regular emg/NCS. Are you all paying much attention to conduction velocities for sensory nerves, say median. Some providers seem to and some don't. Some places I've read say yes, some say no. Kind of confusing.

Members don't see this ad.

For sensory nerve conduction studies, I think many look primarily at the latencies for prolongation (indicating demyelination), for a low amplitude (indicating axon loss), or generally if the response is NR. Conduction velocities between the stimulation at the wrist and the G1 can be helpful, particularly if they are very slow (like <30 m/s). Some will even perform sensory nerve conduction studies at the wrist and the elbow to get a true conduction velocity between those two points. Generally I think they are more helpful for motor NCS. I'm interested to hear others opinions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always learned not to but then I happen to see some stuff in some books I have and also in papers. I'll stick with no. Thanks for the input.

I always learned not to but then I happen to see some stuff in some books I have and also in papers. I'll stick with no. Thanks for the input.
how much do you get paid for listing the sensory nerve conduction velocity? i thought so.

also, nobody cares. if there is a delayed peak latency that is really what matters

how much do you get paid for listing the sensory nerve conduction velocity? i thought so.

also, nobody cares. if there is a delayed peak latency that is really what matters
Has nothing to do will billing seeing as billing is based off number of studies...I don't bill off values. But when the orthopedic hand surgeon asks me why I'm not calling it carpal tunnel when conduction velocity is below a certain threshold, despite everything else being normal, I have to answer. Our machine calculates conduction velocity on sensory and has a cutoff that I guess has been programmed as a normal value. It shows up as a red value when it's below that value (for uppers 39 m/s). It got me thinking.