Sending more than 4 LoRs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, quick question: ERAS only lets you designate up to 4 letters. However, some programs state that you can submit as many letters as you'd like without penalty. I have 5 total, and as each highlights a different aspect of my application (clinical work, research, etc) I'd kind of like to be able to submit all of them to some programs. However, ERAS won't let me do it. Is there any way to get around this? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, quick question: ERAS only lets you designate up to 4 letters. However, some programs state that you can submit as many letters as you'd like without penalty. I have 5 total, and as each highlights a different aspect of my application (clinical work, research, etc) I'd kind of like to be able to submit all of them to some programs. However, ERAS won't let me do it. Is there any way to get around this? Thanks.

Yes, FAX the offending 5th letter to your programs, or send it via snail mail. If you have a good relationship with the letter writer's secretary or your Dean's office (whomever has possession of the letter), they may do it for you without charging you (if sending via snail mail, I would supply them or offer stamps and envelopes).

Most programs will accept documents outside of ERAS.

if programs specifically say they want 2 letters and not "at least 2 letters" or something like that, should we just chose the 2 best letters and not risk sending more than 2? thanks!

if programs specifically say they want 2 letters and not "at least 2 letters" or something like that, should we just chose the 2 best letters and not risk sending more than 2? thanks!

Yes, if they say they want 2 letters, then send only 2 letters, unless you call and ask if more would be accepted and get a positive response. Otherwise, its not wise to risk trying to add more paperwork than they want to deal with.

It is not inappropriate to call and ask if more is ok; I just wouldn't send them unsolicited.