sending eras w/o PS ..yay or nay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tega

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
sent in the caf, with a couple of letters in....but no P/S yet....still working on it....good or bad idea.......

i can see my chairman shaking his head right now and saying...."dude, how is my letter of rec done, and yet ur PS isnt ready"

Members don't see this ad.

most folks who i recently talked to (including a PD at a very competitve program) said that the PS is ranked somthing around 13th in order of importance...so I wouldn't worry about it too much...just get it done when you can b/c you dont want to post up a half ass p.s. just for the sake of getting it done soon

can you do this? i havent sent anything yet! i didnt know you can send everything but the PS and send the PS later! is this possible?

imtiaz said:
can you do this? i havent sent anything yet! i didnt know you can send everything but the PS and send the PS later! is this possible?

yes, you can absolutely do this. you can send in JUST your CAF without personal statement, letters, usmle transcript etc....

i sent my app in with a personal statement and no letters. most all of the programs I applied to dowloaded my materials the next day.

several people i know are already getting interviews just off the CAF. depends on the specialty and program.

later

Don't wait for your PS to certify! A few years back I got 10 interviews in EM with no PS.

how do you do this exactly? i have a dummy PS that just says "personal statement" there which i plan to cut/paste my real one into. as far as programs ive designated LORs and USMLE transcripts and type of training for all of them. but what do i wanna do? submit my CAF? do i apply to specific programs yet or just submit the CAF?

ive got 5/7 letters in and everything else but the PS.

imtiaz said:
how do you do this exactly? i have a dummy PS that just says "personal statement" there which i plan to cut/paste my real one into. as far as programs ive designated LORs and USMLE transcripts and type of training for all of them. but what do i wanna do? submit my CAF? do i apply to specific programs yet or just submit the CAF?

ive got 5/7 letters in and everything else but the PS.

Yes, select the programs you want to apply to and then submit your CAF. Your CAF will then go to the programs you have applied to.

later

12R34Y said:
Yes, select the programs you want to apply to and then submit your CAF. Your CAF will then go to the programs you have applied to.

later
do i apply/pay for programs that i want or just submit the CAF?

imtiaz said:
do i apply/pay for programs that i want or just submit the CAF?

yo,

you have to select programs first and then apply to them by paying the invoice price listed, then and only then will your info be available for upload by programs

Gen surg imtiaz? really? wow..., junaid mentioned something of the like ;)