Sending an LOI to my top choice school. My partner's kids live in the area. Do I mention this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emsea123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently was waitlisted at my top choice school, and I am writing a letter of intent. Although this school checks all of my boxes educationally, there's also the added layer that my partner's two young children live nearby the school. I have heard that schools want to hear if you have a reason their geographic location is ideal for you, but would it be too much information to specify that my family in the area is my step-children? Part of me feels like this might be perceived negatively, but at the same time, I think it's objectively more powerful than having a cousin in the area or something. Tbh I would do literally anything to get into this school because it's my standalone top choice, and it would simplify/improve my personal life. Any and all advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming that the children do not live with your partner and you mention that they are young so they are not living on their own either.

Often the "family in the area" situation is seen as a positive as it means that the student will have a social support network close at hand for a holiday meal, a needed break off campus for an afternoon, someone who might bring a container of soup to your apartment when you are sick, that sort of thing. The young children of a non-custodial parent who is your partner sounds more like the opposite of a social support network.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm assuming that the children do not live with your partner and you mention that they are young so they are not living on their own either.

Often the "family in the area" situation is seen as a positive as it means that the student will have a social support network close at hand for a holiday meal, a needed break off campus for an afternoon, someone who might bring a container of soup to your apartment when you are sick, that sort of thing. The young children of a non-custodial parent who is your partner sounds more like the opposite of a social support network.
Yes they don’t live with him. I thought maybe there was an element beyond having a social support network. Like maybe they would see my commitment to my family and that school in a different light.

So you think me saying my step-children live there will be perceived negatively and that I should just say I have family in the area?

Members don't see this ad :)
Spouse is a bit different than partner and stepchildren are more specific than partner’s young children.

If these are your stepchildren then they are your family and you can say family without being more specific and without being inaccurate.

Reactions: 3 users
I think wanting your spouse to be able to be close to his children is a very valid reason for wanting to be in that area.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
If you’re not married to your partner then I don’t think it would reflect as a reason for you. If you’re married and they’re legally your stepchildren and you’re not simply calling them that then it changes things. Keep in mind many med students have to do long distance relationships when their bf/gf/fiancé can’t move with them due to other responsibilities (kids, sick parents, etc). If it’s your spouse then it may sway admissions, if it’s not your spouse then it may not hold any sway at all.

Reactions: 2 users
If you’re not married to your partner then I don’t think it would reflect as a reason for you. If you’re married and they’re legally your stepchildren and you’re not simply calling them that then it changes things. Keep in mind many med students have to do long distance relationships when their bf/gf/fiancé can’t move with them due to other responsibilities (kids, sick parents, etc). If it’s your spouse then it may sway admissions, if it’s not your spouse then it may not hold any sway at all.
Wow adcoms must be traditionalists. Thanks for the feedback all.

Wow adcoms must be traditionalists. Thanks for the feedback all.
Well, it is not like the old days (and not that many years ago) when some people were prohibited by law from marrying their partner. Then adcoms might have given a little leeway to some unmarried couples who were living as if married.

Reactions: 1 users