semester + Gap year suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myPrecious!!!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I realized that if I wanted to I could graduate in 3.5 years. That is I can graduate in December if I wanted to and I currently have a 3.75 hoping to get that up to 3.8 in this coming semester.

If I could graduate early do you guys think that it would be worth it given that I am pretty low on the EC side except for a work in HR and 1 research apprenticeship. I am starting a volunteering position in a Hospice right now and will continue shadowing.

Do you guys have any suggestions regarding what ECs or programs I should look into to strengthen my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken the MCAT yet? IMO, that's the most important thing to get out of the way and make it your priority. I'd say use that free semester you gained by graduating early to go full time on it and ace it.

In terms of ECs, maybe look into scribing for more clinical experience along with Hospice and shadowing that you're doing. If you're lacking nonclinical volunteering, see if there's anything in your area that you would be interested in. I personally enjoy volunteering with the Food bank and local churches (you don't have to be religious, I'm definitely not) that give out food. Maybe tutoring? Maybe Habitat for Humanity? Just do what you like.

Hospice is awesome! I'm actually doing Hospice too right now and it literally is the best experience I've had in terms of patient interaction. I hope you enjoy it. It is a really humbling experience and you get to see a really different side of medicine. Are you visiting patients in their homes?

Have you taken the MCAT yet? IMO, that's the most important thing to get out of the way and make it your priority. I'd say use that free semester you gained by graduating early to go full time on it and ace it.

In terms of ECs, maybe look into scribing for more clinical experience along with Hospice and shadowing that you're doing. If you're lacking nonclinical volunteering, see if there's anything in your area that you would be interested in. I personally enjoy volunteering with the Food bank and local churches (you don't have to be religious, I'm definitely not) that give out food. Maybe tutoring? Maybe Habitat for Humanity? Just do what you like.

Hospice is awesome! I'm actually doing Hospice too right now and it literally is the best experience I've had in terms of patient interaction. I hope you enjoy it. It is a really humbling experience and you get to see a really different side of medicine. Are you visiting patients in their homes?
I took my MCAT 2 days ago, so have to wait for my results now.

For the Hospice, I applied recently and they are sorting through the paperwork right now. But the position I applied to is basically Home Care and they said it will basically be visiting patients at their home and helping them. Do you know if this would be considered a clinical experience?

For a nonclinical volunteering, I am looking into a childcare facility at a haven near my home. I am pretty sure they have positions open. I really enjoy spending time with both elderly and children (I know that they are two extremes but I see a lot of similar things in them)

Members don't see this ad :)
I took my MCAT 2 days ago, so have to wait for my results now.

For the Hospice, I applied recently and they are sorting through the paperwork right now. But the position I applied to is basically Home Care and they said it will basically be visiting patients at their home and helping them. Do you know if this would be considered a clinical experience?

For a nonclinical volunteering, I am looking into a childcare facility at a haven near my home. I am pretty sure they have positions open. I really enjoy spending time with both elderly and children (I know that they are two extremes but I see a lot of similar things in them)

Awesome! I hope you did well then so you don't have to worry about it anymore. Graduating a semester early would still be pretty nice.

I would say Hospice is definitely clinical experience. I'm biased, but I would say one of the best patient interactions you can get if you don't have any medical licenses like CNA, EMT, etc. as a pre-med.

That sounds like a good nonclinical volunteering activity IMO. Keep finding things you like to do!

Besides that, just make sure you have some shadowing of a few specialties. If you're planning to apply to a top tier school, you definitely want a lot of research experience. For other schools, it's just icing on the cake.

Absolute requirements IMO are to make sure you have the clinical exposure, shadowing, and nonclinical volunteering covered. Look for any weaknesses you have and just do more of it throughout this next year and through your gap year. Leadership things are also nice to have.

MCAT pending, it looks like you should be good to apply next cycle, good luck!

Awesome! I hope you did well then so you don't have to worry about it anymore. Graduating a semester early would still be pretty nice.

I would say Hospice is definitely clinical experience. I'm biased, but I would say one of the best patient interactions you can get if you don't have any medical licenses like CNA, EMT, etc. as a pre-med.

That sounds like a good nonclinical volunteering activity IMO. Keep finding things you like to do!

Besides that, just make sure you have some shadowing of a few specialties. If you're planning to apply to a top tier school, you definitely want a lot of research experience. For other schools, it's just icing on the cake.

Absolute requirements IMO are to make sure you have the clinical exposure, shadowing, and nonclinical volunteering covered. Look for any weaknesses you have and just do more of it throughout this next year and through your gap year. Leadership things are also nice to have.

MCAT pending, it looks like you should be good to apply next cycle, good luck!
Yup, I feel that I am a bit short on research though not too worried about leadership because of my work at HR. I hope I get into a nice position on my upcoming apprenticeship program.

Thanks again for your help!! And good luck for your applications as well