selling out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abefromann

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously, how do you guys deal with the medical colleagues (laypeople are a whole different ball game) who trash derm? Honestly, most of the attendings that I've told are quite supportive, and most of the residents are even more supportive and impressed. However, there are those few that are completely obnoxious about it ("you *****" was one comment that was said to my face). Short of ignoring it, what can one say to them? (Also, I may be looking for some more personal justification that I'm not selling out, at least not totally.) :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously, how do you guys deal with the medical colleagues (laypeople are a whole different ball game) who trash derm? Honestly, most of the attendings that I've told are quite supportive, and most of the residents are even more supportive and impressed. However, there are those few that are completely obnoxious about it ("you *****" was one comment that was said to my face). Short of ignoring it, what can one say to them? (Also, I may be looking for some more personal justification that I'm not selling out, at least not totally.) :confused:

err...by not telling them?

i wouldn't worry about their opinions. Life is too short for that. Do what you feel is right for you regardless of what negative pundits have to say@
:)
just my two cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, just do what you want to do and don't worry about what others say. If you're asking how to respond to something like that, I would probably say something like, "Wow, that's kind of rude."

One thing that I'll add is to make sure that you are not, indeed selling out. You will likely regret it later in life.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I was also worried that people would say the same things to me, but it really hasn't happened. Also, I found that it also helps if people realize that you really are interested in dermatology, and you demonstrate that interest by really knowing any derm that pertains to any of your patients. The one group I would be leary around may be the medicine docs, they can develop an attitude real quickly if they find out that you aren't going into IM or FP, although not all of them are like this. I think the people who are very rude about it may just have some resentment, and I wouldn't let it bother you.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I was also worried that people would say the same things to me, but it really hasn't happened. Also, I found that it also helps if people realize that you really are interested in dermatology, and you demonstrate that interest by really knowing any derm that pertains to any of your patients. The one group I would be leary around may be the medicine docs, they can develop an attitude real quickly if they find out that you aren't going into IM or FP, although not all of them are like this. I think the people who are very rude about it may just have some resentment, and I wouldn't let it bother you.

I wonder why IM and FPs would ever want ppl going into their field.

I actually have encountered a lot of disappointed, wry looks from people when I tell them what I'm going into. Maybe it's because I'm a dude, or maybe it's because the derm department at my school is very, very tiny, which fosters ignorance about the field. I know that I shouldn't let comments and insinuations bother me, but they certainly do sometimes. That said, I do fire back at them with a "f*&k off" look or a wisecrack.

Also, I know that I should just let it roll, because in 10 years when they realize they're married to their work and not their wives, the joke will be on them.

:thumbup:

I actually have encountered a lot of disappointed, wry looks from people when I tell them what I'm going into. Maybe it's because I'm a dude, or maybe it's because the derm department at my school is very, very tiny, which fosters ignorance about the field. I know that I shouldn't let comments and insinuations bother me, but they certainly do sometimes. That said, I do fire back at them with a "f*&k off" look or a wisecrack.

Also, I know that I should just let it roll, because in 10 years when they realize they're married to their work and not their wives, the joke will be on them.

:thumbup:

exactly. to me, IM and FP is all about babysitting. i've met primary care physicians who told me not to do primary care. derm is a great field if you can get in. medicine is full of ppl who think their fields are the ****. This applies to only a few fields and IM/FP aren't them. I'm sorry.

Why the hell would anybody care if anyone, let alone a bunch of nerdy doctors, thought they were "selling out"? Who are you trying to impress?

Whoa bud. Turn down the anger and step the F*&K off.

Not trying to impress anybody, but it does piss me off when colleagues look at me like I'm a douchebag for doing something both challenging and important.

Whoa bud. Turn down the anger and step the F*&K off.

Not trying to impress anybody, but it does piss me off when colleagues look at me like I'm a douchebag for doing something both challenging and important.
no really, who cares! :eek: People who are in the know, realize that derms are not sellouts and do important work, your patients will certainly not think you are douche, and those "colleagues" of yours who look at you as a douchebag, are just jealous they couldn't get derm and are stuck doing IM or FP

Why are you on probation?

I got into a fight with a bunch of optometrists bro.

I came out swinging.

Now I'm on probation so I'm trying to behave myself...:D

I got into a fight with a bunch of optometrists bro.

I came out swinging.

Now I'm on probation so I'm trying to behave myself...:D
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Word if a bunch of estheticians all the sudden wanted to cut out skin cancers I'd come out swinging too.

People bash others they envy or dont understand. In my experience, most do it to increase self importance. Who hasnt seen the IM doc bashing the ER guy? Or the surgeon bashing the IM doc? etc....