self-identifying on AMCAS app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

For or against self-identifying ethnicity on the AMCAS if you aren't a minority?

• For

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Against

Votes: 12 80.0%

• Total voters

nietzschefreak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll try to be as succinct as possible, but please ask for clarification if necessary. I am strongly considering not self-identifying my ethnicity on the AMCAS. I just don't believe it should be an issue, though I fully agree with the application gathering socioeconomic information. Any thoughts for or against the efficacy of this strategy?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll try to be as succinct as possible, but please ask for clarification if necessary. I am strongly considering not self-identifying my ethnicity on the AMCAS. I just don't believe it should be an issue, though I fully agree with the application gathering socioeconomic information. Any thoughts for or against the efficacy of this strategy?

I'm also strongly considering not self-identifying either. First of all, I have reason to suspect that the applications automatically go through different screening algorithms at some programs depending on what race is selected (unethical, considering how much these applications cost the applicant). Second of all, I don't appreciate the lack of ability to specify an ethnicity for my race. I know ethnicity shouldn't be taken into consideration, but I think it's rude to ask for race and then only allow people of certain races to specify their ethnicity.

Reactions: 1 user
What do I specify myself as? I am middle eastern, and my family is from Yemen and Somalia. Do I check black and/or other?
I'm sure that I am not white due to my middle eastern background and I am also from a disadvantaged background.
am I considered URM? Or a minority?
Thanks.