Self Doubt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sa10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I know everyone has their moments of self doubts and that is quite normal. But I wanted to know if any of you still feel like a student even as an intern.
Like ofcourse doctors are life long learners and all but I mean mentally don’t feel like you are a doctor!

I am 8 months into internship and I still feel like I don’t trust my self to do much.
It kind of affects the way I interact with my seniors too. As most interns are pretty chill with them and I still act like they are my examiners.

I don’t know if This is because these are doctors who trained me during medical school.
But does this really ever go away?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I didn’t feel like I truly knew what I was doing until after 3 years of being an attending.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I'm 9 years into my career as an attending, and medical director of my large group. I don't feel like this daily anymore, but at least weekly. At least for a minute.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi Everyone,
I know everyone has their moments of self doubts and that is quite normal. But I wanted to know if any of you still feel like a student even as an intern.
Like ofcourse doctors are life long learners and all but I mean mentally don’t feel like you are a doctor!

I am 8 months into internship and I still feel like I don’t trust my self to do much.
It kind of affects the way I interact with my seniors too. As most interns are pretty chill with them and I still act like they are my examiners.

I don’t know if This is because these are doctors who trained me during medical school.
But does this really ever go away?
I'm a PGY9 fellow in a surgical super specialty.

How often am i humbled? Every. Single. Day.

Keep learning. Don't make the same mistake twice. Own your errors. You won't be perfect. Neither will your peers.

Just try not to get a maneuver named after yourself.

Reactions: 1 users