Self-designed outpatient business elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taylor5479

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm an MS3 wrapping up my 3rd year and starting to think about my 4th year schedule. I ultimately want to open my own private family medicine practice or join a small group in a rural or small town area, and I want to tailor my remaining education with that goal in mind. Like many others, my med school allows a certain level of flexibility in our 4th year curriculum to design your own elective course as long as it is approved by the faculty.

I would like to design an elective that focuses on exploring the various business aspects of running a private practice, like focusing on efficiency, billing practices, the right balance of staff, reduction of overhead costs, etc.. Basically the course would revolve around all of the things that happen behind the scenes that allow a private practice to provide a valuable service to the community while keeping the lights on and remaining somewhat profitable.

I would like to know the SDN community's thoughts on the subject. Do you think that an elective like this would even get approved? Have any of you had experience doing something like this in your own education? Do you have any suggestions for how I could structure this course? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm an MS3 wrapping up my 3rd year and starting to think about my 4th year schedule. I ultimately want to open my own private family medicine practice or join a small group in a rural or small town area, and I want to tailor my remaining education with that goal in mind. Like many others, my med school allows a certain level of flexibility in our 4th year curriculum to design your own elective course as long as it is approved by the faculty.

I would like to design an elective that focuses on exploring the various business aspects of running a private practice, like focusing on efficiency, billing practices, the right balance of staff, reduction of overhead costs, etc.. Basically the course would revolve around all of the things that happen behind the scenes that allow a private practice to provide a valuable service to the community while keeping the lights on and remaining somewhat profitable.

I would like to know the SDN community's thoughts on the subject. Do you think that an elective like this would even get approved? Have any of you had experience doing something like this in your own education? Do you have any suggestions for how I could structure this course? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I think it's a great thought and you seem excited about it. The experience is going to 100% depend on the mentor. If you stumble upon someone in private practice with high energy who has time and is willing to mentor you through all this, you'll have an amazing time and learn loads. Ideally someone like a family friend or someone who really wants to give back to his medical school will be ideal. If you're relying on the school to pair you up with someone to teach you this or even if you're just approaching some random attending you don't have a relationship with, I don't think it will be the best experience.

In terms of approval, I don't think that's going to be an issue. Your school is basically going to see it as a standard clinic elective that tons of people do. There's tons of useless things 4th years try to do to fill a month and I think that's what the school is trying to guard against.

I think you have a bright future recognizing the importance of these business issues and competencies already on your future practice's success.
I can't advise on courses or rotations, but working with or shadowing managing partners of private practices or groups could help give you insight. Also, these are common and current topics at many medical conferences for primary care.