Seeking LOR Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogryffindor

Reaction score
Hello SDN,

So I had built a strong enough relationship with my prehealth advisor of four years and a science faculty professor to be confident in their ability to write a strong LOR. Very recently, both got fired.

Additionally, due to a lot of changes to my school's health advising office, there is currently no committee.

I'm not in contact with my other past science professor's and I seldom went to office hours. That's the main reason that I started developing a relationship with the professor that I did see, but alas, that will no longer work out :(

I'm planning to try my luck with the only remaining health advisor in the office (who I've only met twice). As for science faculty, I think my only option may be to reach out to past professors and directly tell them that I am looking for a LOR and ask if they'd be willing to meet. I'm not sure if this is too bold.

Any advice is appreciated.

I'm applying this cycle for 2020.

Members don't see this ad.

Why were they fired?

Members don't see this ad :)
One for Being inappropriate with some of his female students and the other for a racist remark I believe
Okay, yah - you can't use them... wowser :eek:

I was hoping "downsizing" or "reshuffling of the departments" (which usually means someone lost a turf battle and didn't have tenure so it was see-yaz-later but in this case? )

I am sure people with better ideas than me will chime in so, that said, I think charging into a professor's office that you hardly know and asking them to write a very strong LOR for you, in the biggest application of your life (to date), would be poor form.

Do you know anyone that was on the committee? Can you talk to them? Surely, you are not the only one in a bind because of the firing.

I'm really sorry to hear this happened to you!

Having mediocre/generic letters is ok. The only thing you can do is contact science professors whose class you got good grades in, introduce yourself, say you liked their class, then tell them about extracurriculars and why you want to go to med school etc. Or better yet go to their office hours, have a friendly conversation, ask them if they are willing to write a letter. Professors get asked all the time from less than close students. As long as you didn’t make a bad impression on them you’ll be ok.