Seeking advice on upcoming Ophtho match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rkasdf1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m a 3rd year medical student really interested in pursuing a career in Ophthalmology.
I wanted some thoughts on my realistic chances of matching and advice on what I can do to improve my chances, which places to do away rotations at/apply to.

Strong points:
- 3.94 GPA
- Clinical years so far: honors in IM, Surgery, FM, OB/GYN. High Sat: Peds
- 1 non-Ophtho oral presentation at my med school research forum, 1 ongoing Ophtho related research
- possible AOA

Negative points
- BIG one: step 1: 225, taking step 2 in June
- figured out I wanted to do ophtho late in 3rd year.

I'm at a mid-low tier Midwest medical school with a mid-tier Ophtho program. I want to be reasonable with my choices but I also just want to be an ophthalmologist. I'm wondering what my chances would be even if I blew step 2 out of the water. Thank you in advance for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
I also recently just decided to do ophthalmology. I'm opposite of you. My step 1 score is 250, but my clinical grades aren't up to par. I won't be AOA. I have a pass in obgyn; high pass in IM, surgery, psych, FM; honors in anesthesia, neuro, and general ophthalmology. No ophtho publications or any pubs actually. I know couple of programs automatically filter out students based on step 1, but your step 2 can help. Also, what's the worst that can happen? I'm going into this knowing I will most likely not match (heck my advisor said I need to have a back-up residency) and will have to take a year off to strengthen my app. The question is do I go ahead and graduate in 2016 and then do fellowship research and reapply or do I postpone graduation and do research for a year and reapply as a US senior once I find out in Jan I didn't match? Thoughts on this would be appreciated!

for the first guy, if you blow step 2 out of the water i.e. >250 and get AOA you'll likely get about 5-6 interviews (more if you have good letters, less if you don't know anybody with connections). You'll need to apply broadly, even to the schools on probation and definitely low tier. I think you'll have a >75% chance of matching if you are a memorable person with a unique CV. But if you are just the typical student, I would say chances are around 50%.

for the second guy, I think you'll get 8-10 interviews based purely on your Step 1. You need to apply broadly too and will probably get a mix of upper, mid upper and lower tiered interviews. I'd go on all of them. You probably won't match at the top programs but still rank them highly. You'll probably match an a non research heavy mid tiered program. I'd get very, very close to your home program as a "back-up" in case you are bad giving a good impression in one day. Your lack of research is a red flag these days because I'd say >75% of applicants (with your scores and grades) have participated in research at least some time in the past 4 years. FYI, I don't call myself a gunner or anything but even I have 10+ pubs/projs/presentations so I bet other strong applicants have more. Hopefully you did something unique in your spare time. I would advise 2 case reports submitted asap. Apply this year.

So how do you think I should approach this? I guess I'm wondering what my options are if I apply for ophtho and prelim, and not match in ophtho. Are there anything like fellowship opportunities that is worth taking a year off to increase my chances? And how do reapplicants do in ophtho?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, whoops, wrong guy... I keep getting all these what are my chances threads confused.

I think you can be fine with a strong step 2 and applying broadly.

Last edited:
So how do you think I should approach this? I guess I'm wondering what my options are if I apply for ophtho and prelim, and not match in ophtho. Are there anything like fellowship opportunities that is worth taking a year off to increase my chances? And how do reapplicants do in ophtho?

Assuming that the 3.94 GPA puts you near the top of your class, I don't think you would have much problem matching into ophtho if you apply broadly. There are definitely programs that screen strictly based on the step 1 score, but there are plenty of others that review the entire application. If you could secure AOA and do well on step 2, I think you would definitely match.

Work on getting really strong letters and try to get your research study/ies submitted for pubs by the time you apply. Once they become published, you could send an update at that time. Good luck!

So I'm wondering where I stand too:

Pre-clinicals: All A's, one B+

Step 1: 258

Clinicals: A's in Pediatrics and Surgery, B+ in Family Medicine, hopefully A's in Internal Med, Psych, and OB

Did not get elected to 3rd year AOA.

Non-ophtho research during M1 summer with school presentation.

What are my chances?

Thought I would get an opinion on this, especially since I've had an especially hard week.

Step 1: 247
Pre-clinical: Pass/fail school but MSPE says average >90%
Publications: 9 non-ophtho pubs; 4 published abstracts (non-ophtho); multiple ophtho research projects but none published yet

Clinical: Honors in surgery, psychiatry; pass in internal
Here's where it gets tricky. I was on track to honor family medicine, but apparently made a "fatal error" on a performance based assessment, and am now being assessed a conditional pass/pass in family medicine. I am appealing it, but it is possible it will show up as a CP/P on my transcript. I will likely honor or at least pass the remaining 2 rotations. I need one more honor to be nominated for AOA.

Step 2: Currently planned for September

Will this possible CP/P be a huge hurt to my application? The MSPE is apparently going to say if it is not overturned that I got almost perfect on all evaluations but made a mistake on the performance based assessment due to misunderstanding a requirement for the exam and would have otherwise honored. Been a really stressful time dealing with this stupid mistake I made. Appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks for your reply vl0913. All of the pubs are on pubmed in solid medical journals of their respective fields (not nature, or NEJM or such, but still very good journals). The admin at my school have tried to reassure me that they will try to make it clear that I performed very well on all the assessments in the clerkship except for one. I'm trying to appeal and hopefully that works, but if not, all I can do is try to honor my last two rotations. I appreciate your feedback!

Thanks for your reply vl0913. All of the pubs are on pubmed in solid medical journals of their respective fields (not nature, or NEJM or such, but still very good journals). The admin at my school have tried to reassure me that they will try to make it clear that I performed very well on all the assessments in the clerkship except for one. I'm trying to appeal and hopefully that works, but if not, all I can do is try to honor my last two rotations. I appreciate your feedback!

I don't think the CP will hurt you if it is not a trend. Prepare to be asked about it. Answer honestly and play to your strengths. Use it as a learning experience and show that when answering. Most admission committees like and understand that you are human. What they don't want is some douche who pretends it didn't happen or like it was beneath them. Don't sweat this.

I don't think the CP will hurt you if it is not a trend. Prepare to be asked about it. Answer honestly and play to your strengths. Use it as a learning experience and show that when answering. Most admission committees like and understand that you are human. What they don't want is some douche who pretends it didn't happen or like it was beneath them. Don't sweat this.

Thanks DrZeke. I sure hope so as apart from this have generally performed very well. Just doing my best to end off the year well and hoping that perhaps the appeal has the grade overturned.

Reactions: 1 user
guitar guy- >90% chances of matching. But you should have known that if you were smart enough to get a 258 (seriously). You'll probably get a few top tiered interviews but in order to match there you'll need something that stands out. What was your research about? Don't be lazy this next year- I can see you as the type of guy that is very book smart, studies hard, and that's about it. So many people on the interview trail will be more memorable than you. Btw, do you play the guitar really well i.e. are you competition winner because that would be sweet. I wouldn't take step 2 early.

Thanks! Surprisingly, having a 258 isn't super relieving on this site, especially after reading horror story posts of people not matching this past year (whether true/untrue). I would be satisfied with matching a mid-tier program in my region of the country given my lack of research in ophtho, which I can accept. My medical school does not have a large ophtho dept to begin with, and research is more scant than at other institutions. My research was in calcium signaling in animal model cardiac myocytes. An original project for sure, with a seminar presentation that fall. I also have an MS degree with prior basic science research experience there as well.

All his being said, how would you recommend I improve upon my app? I am working on a short research stent (case report?) and hopefully honoring the rest of my core clerkships. Other than securing LORs in ophtho, what else can I do before Aug?

To answer your guitar question, no didn't compete, but it would have ROCKED if I did haha. Got paid to play a bunch of gigs with two bands at one time which was great in and of itself. Still play with other groups also so I guess that's 1/2 as cool. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I just want to throw my stats out there and see if I have any chance.

Step 1: 228 (not good, I know)
Step 2: taking in June
Preclinical grades: passed everything (school is P/NP)
Clerkship grades: Honor in Psych, Underserved Medicine; HP in IM, FM; grades pending in surgery, Ophthal, Peds and OB/GYN

Ophthal research summer after year 1, paper submitted for review (but I'm only 3rd author); there's just not a lot of Ophthal research at my school
Extracurricular: free clinic coordinator/volunteer (not ophthal-related), leadership board of school's ophthal interest group (organized/volunteered at vision screenings)
Others: worked as an Ophthalmic tech and photographer for a few years before med school

I'm also interested in OB/GYN and am struggling to decide between the two. I'm probably biased against Ophthal because of the low board score.

Thanks!

If you are actually struggling to decide and have love for Ob/gyn, then do that... It's very different than ophthalmology, so perhaps you might ask yourself what are things that attract you to ophtho and what are things that attract you to ob/gyn, make a list of pros and cons.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jumping on to the question train here:

Does research need to be in ophtho to match? I have an excellent step 1 score and grades but my research (2 posters, 1 publication with first author) is in a different field. Does it matter?

Oculusbeat- I think for most low to mid and even a few top tier programs the basic interest in research plus the assortment of publications (for you it would be 3) will be well received. They just want to see that you are capable of producing when you are given a project- it's good for academically oriented programs. There are top tier programs like Duke, MEEI, Scheie, etc that will be very impressed if you have made a significant contribution to the field of ophthalmic research before you submit your application (year-off that was successful/personal LOR from strong PI, PhD in vision science, etc) something that really makes you that rich cream at the top of the yogurt I like to buy at the supermarket...

Best of luck - Blue

Hello everyone:
Need some advice as well

Step 1: 240, Step 2: taking in June
AOA: applied, waiting to hear back from the school
Research: 2 second author basic science ophtho publications, 1 case report
School: mid tier state school with mid-tier ophtho program
Grades: 4.0 undergrad and med school GPA, Honors in everything except medicine and pediatrics
Aways: did rotation at my school, two other aways July/August
Letters: 1 from IM doc, 1 from my PhD research mentor who I published with, 1 from ophthalmologist
ECs: director of local free eye clinic (volunteered there for last 4 years), fundraiser for free local eye clinic, committee chair of various local health chapters, inducted into Gold Humanism Honor Society
Career goals: want to pursue fellowship, not picky about where I go for residency. Just looking for advice on where to apply based on my stats. Was planning on applying broadly.

Any advice?

Do you have a first author publication from your phd?

Thanks for your reply bluesclera! I was wondering if you all could give me some advice on where I stand based on my stats as well.

Step 1: >270
AOA: School doesn't give AOA till Dec. of 4th year
Research: likely 1 non-ophtho publication and two non-ophtho posters
School: top 25 research school
Clinical Grades: Honored everything so far
Preclinical: Pass/fail, passed everything

I would really appreciate any thoughts on what types of programs I might be competitive for.
Thanks!

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but you are clearly a very strong applicant. The only thing "light" on your app is research. But you literally couldn't do any better in other areas...so that means you will be competitive at most programs and will be subject to the same randomness that we all experience

Do you have a first author publication from your phd?

Sorry my post is kind of misleading.
I am not a PhD, I meant to say that my research mentor is a PhD in vision science and he will be writing me a letter.
No I will not have any first author publications, because of how time consuming my projects were I could only do so much, so I had a post-doc help me out with a lot of the stuff and he ended up doing more than me for both of them.

Thanks for your reply bluesclera! I was wondering if you all could give me some advice on where I stand based on my stats as well.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on what types of programs I might be competitive for.
Thanks!

Dude seriously? apply and be humble with the process, try to do as many interviews as you get that fit your schedule and interests. I would recommend you sit down and figure out where you want to go based on your interests and just make sure you will be a good applicant for those schools esp.
Otherwise just a overall good shot!

I'd like to get some opinions as well.

Main big concern is 3rd year grades and class rank right now.

Step 1: 248
M3: 2 P (including IM), 2 HP (including surgery), 2 more rotations to go
-Could go either way as to ending up in 2nd or 3rd quartile in class rank right now depending on my last 2 rotations.
Research: 1 2nd author Pub, 1 non-ophtho case report submitted, working on project that I'll be 1st author but won't be done by interview season
LOR: will have 3 strong ones, including 2 from pretty big name Ophthos
Have decent ECs including showing longterm interest in ophtho and will be going overseas for an ophtho rotation this fall before interview season

I know I'm not going to be getting any of the top top tier programs, but how good of a shot do you guys think I'll have at a solid mid-tier community-oriented program? How terrible will it look if I just barely fall into that 3rd quartile (which I think is all it says on the Dean's letter)? Has to hurt, right? Makes me nervous but I'm just trying to finish strong.

I'd like to get some opinions as well.

Main big concern is 3rd year grades and class rank right now.

Step 1: 248
M3: 2 P (including IM), 2 HP (including surgery), 2 more rotations to go
-Could go either way as to ending up in 2nd or 3rd quartile in class rank right now depending on my last 2 rotations.
Research: 1 2nd author Pub, 1 non-ophtho case report submitted, working on project that I'll be 1st author but won't be done by interview season
LOR: will have 3 strong ones, including 2 from pretty big name Ophthos
Have decent ECs including showing longterm interest in ophtho and will be going overseas for an ophtho rotation this fall before interview season

I know I'm not going to be getting any of the top top tier programs, but how good of a shot do you guys think I'll have at a solid mid-tier community-oriented program? How terrible will it look if I just barely fall into that 3rd quartile (which I think is all it says on the Dean's letter)? Has to hurt, right? Makes me nervous but I'm just trying to finish strong.

You should be fine. I was around the middle of my class and wasn't asked about it once. I matched high on my rank list at a really great place.

The rest of your app looks solid. You should match.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I’m a 4th year medical student really interested in pursuing a career in Ophthalmology.
I wanted some thoughts on my realistic chances of matching and advice on what I can do to improve my chances, which places to do away rotations at/apply to.

Strong points:
- 3.94 GPA
- 1 non-Ophtho oral presentation at my med school research forum, 2 ongoing Ophtho related research
- possible AOA

Negative points
- BIG one: step 1: 225

I'm at a mid-low tier medical school with a mid-tier Ophtho program. I want to be reasonable with my choices but I also just want to be an ophthalmologist. I'm wondering what my chances would be even if I blew step 2 out of the water. Thank you in advance for any input.
-----------------------------
Step 2: 252

I know that step 2 weighs far less than step 1, but since I did poorly with step 1, I tried to redeem myself and improved my scores by a little.
Any advice at this point?

Well done on Step 2! Apply broadly and hope for the best. If you choose to do an away rotation, pick a low/mid-tier program that you would truly be happy to match at. If you are a normal person and perform well this may provide you with a safety net of sorts. Of course, there are never any guarantees. Good luck.

Hi, I’m a 4th year medical student really interested in pursuing a career in Ophthalmology.

Strong points:
- 3.94 GPA
- 1 non-Ophtho oral presentation at my med school research forum, 2 ongoing Ophtho related research
- possible AOA

Negative points
- BIG one: step 1: 225

I'm at a mid-low tier medical school with a mid-tier Ophtho program. I want to be reasonable with my choices but I also just want to be an ophthalmologist. I'm wondering what my chances would be even if I blew step 2 out of the water. Thank you in advance for any input.
-----------------------------
Step 2: 252

I know that step 2 weighs far less than step 1, but since I did poorly with step 1, I tried to redeem myself and improved my scores by a little.
Any advice at this point?

Judging from previously reported experiences here: people with similar situations to yourself have gotten about 10-20% of the programs they applied to to interview them. If you apply to 100+ programs (and everything else is good..LOR, interviewing, etc) you have a good chance of matching

Thanks!
Lol are you being serious? There's no way you don't realize how good your chances are with stats like yours. I guess cure cancer and then you'll be in for sure.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd improve your app with some good volunteering at a health clinic where you can do eye exams (dilated). That will show you dedicated your free time for others while pursuing your interest in ophtho. Try for 20-30 hours. I'd try to have 2 case reports done by application time- one must be ophtho. It will give you something to discuss during interviews. The fact that you played in 2 bands is already very cool. Know some good general guitar history, be sure you can talk about your favorite bands, and give examples of songs you've played. Lastly, having a weak ophtho home program can be killer, which is why I think you need to do 2-3 aways at midtier-uppertier programs and get a letter from your first away.

In which part of CAS should we put an observership in a private clinic?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

In which part of CAS should we put an observership in a private clinic?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There's a section called like ophthalmology experience and relevant coursework or something like that - I remember listing my away rotations in that section.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app