Seeking advice in best route to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DownNotOut

Reaction score
I am 34 years old. I finished college some time ago with an overall gpa of a 2.51. I took a ton of courses and finished as a triple major in Psychology, Philosophy, and Religious Studies. My gpa isn’t indicative of my abilities and I am finally at a place in life where I could finally excel in my studies. I only took two or three courses in science. I would like to become a psychiatrist. I know it would be next to impossible to ever pull my gpa up to a 3.0, but I could have a pretty high sgpa. I currently work 40 hrs a week, but looking to take 2-3 classes a semester until I get the primary classes for medschool completed. That being said, could I realistically ever get into a US Program, or am I stuck at the last resort option of an IMG? Are there any options or pathways that any of you could recommend. I know it’s a long road ahead of me and if it takes me 4 years to get into Med School then I’ll be okay with that. Thank you for your time and any helpful suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

I am 34 years old. I finished college some time ago with an overall gpa of a 2.51. I took a ton of courses and finished as a triple major in Psychology, Philosophy, and Religious Studies. My gpa isn’t indicative of my abilities and I am finally at a place in life where I could finally excel in my studies. I only took two or three courses in science. I would like to become a psychiatrist. I know it would be next to impossible to ever pull my gpa up to a 3.0, but I could have a pretty high sgpa. I currently work 40 hrs a week, but looking to take 2-3 classes a semester until I get the primary classes for medschool completed. That being said, could I realistically ever get into a US Program, or am I stuck at the last resort option of an IMG? Are there any options or pathways that any of you could recommend. I know it’s a long road ahead of me and if it takes me 4 years to get into Med School then I’ll be okay with that. Thank you for your time and any helpful suggestions.
Your best bet would be getting As in your prereqs, having two years worth of solid grades, and then pursuing a SMP. Most SMPs have a minimum GPA of 3.0 for admissions; however exceptions are made for those who have proven that they have changed. This whole process will likely take more than four years when gap years are factored in (and even longer if you'll be pursuing the prereqs as a part-time student). Keep in mind that none of this will guarantee admission to a medical school. Only you can decide if these risks are worth taking. Good luck

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
A little algebra says that you could have a 3.1 GPA with 59 credits of all A's - assuming you currently have 120 credits of undergrad work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Read this:

Reactions: 1 users
My goal is to start Chem I and Calc I (this is a prerequisite for physics, correct?) in fall, and take Chem II in summer. Switch to part time by the fall and take Calc II, bio I and organic I and physics I, Bio II, and organic II spring 21. Take physics II over Summer, Switch to the local university fall 21 and take biochem, microbiology, genetics, and Stats. Study for MCAT spring of 22 and apply to a SMP. Does this sound like a sufficient plan or is it imperative that I also take classes in spring of 22? My concern is paying for that extra semester on top of a SMP program. I wouldn’t mind taking an extra semester or two at university and skip SMP, but I trust it when you say two years to SMP is my best route.

My goal is to start Chem I and Calc I (this is a prerequisite for physics, correct?) in fall, and take Chem II in summer. Switch to part time by the fall and take Calc II, bio I and organic I and physics I, Bio II, and organic II spring 21. Take physics II over Summer, Switch to the local university fall 21 and take biochem, microbiology, genetics, and Stats. Study for MCAT spring of 22 and apply to a SMP. Does this sound like a sufficient plan or is it imperative that I also take classes in spring of 22? My concern is paying for that extra semester on top of a SMP program. I wouldn’t mind taking an extra semester or two at university and skip SMP, but I trust it when you say two years to SMP is my best route.
You don't need Calculus one or two.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't need Calculus one or two.
Thank you! There are two physics classes one named College Physics and one named General Physics and the General Physics requires Calculus I & II. Whereas the General Physics at the University doesn’t require Calculus but University Physics does. Ive noticed most Medical School require Physics and I wasn’t sure if it was the Calculus based Physics or not.

Thank you! There are two physics classes one named College Physics and one named General Physics and the General Physics requires Calculus I & II. Whereas the General Physics at the University doesn’t require Calculus but University Physics does. Ive noticed most Medical School require Physics and I wasn’t sure if it was the Calculus based Physics or not.
Just do the algebra based physics. That's what medical schools require. The calculus based physics is not necessary.

+1 for algebra-based physics. Most, if not all, schools are fine with non-Calculus physics. Oddly, some require Calculus 1 anyway.

Just know that science classes require way more time than you think they would. This course load:

Fall (Calc II, bio I and organic I)
Spring (physics I, Bio II, and organic II)/QUOTE]

...would be challenging for people who weren't working and had no other obligations. Remember, that most science prereqs have labs which eat up a lot of time. Plus, you have to ace all of them to bring up your GPA. Be 100% that you can handle that load so you don't set yourself up for failure.

Reactions: 2 users
+1 for algebra-based physics. Most, if not all, schools are fine with non-Calculus physics. Oddly, some require Calculus 1 anyway.

Just know that science classes require way more time than you think they would. This course load:
Thanks for the heads up. I may just start with Chem I in spring then and add a science each semester until I hit my maximum before my grades are diminished on workload. I’d rather take 5 years and have a chance than overload and ruin my chances