Seeking advice from possible Forensic Pathologists or Pathologist's assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katrod19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a sophomore in College. I do this thing where I obsess over what the future holds (lol). I have always been interested in forensic pathology and planned on attending med school to become on. However, I ran across something called a Pathologist Assistant. What are the differences between the two in terms of having time for a family, pay, and duties? (Do PA's do autopsies?)

Members don't see this ad.

I looked into Pathologist assistant like a year ago, but there aren't a lot of programs for those nationwide in the U.S. However, I think you will be able to become one if you get a bachelor's in Clinical Laboratory Science/Medical Technology.

They basically assist in preparing tissue samples needed for a variety of testing, ex: cytometry, microbiology culturing, etc. It's a pretty cool field though!

I'm currently a sophomore in College. I do this thing where I obsess over what the future holds (lol). I have always been interested in forensic pathology and planned on attending med school to become on. However, I ran across something called a Pathologist Assistant. What are the differences between the two in terms of having time for a family, pay, and duties? (Do PA's do autopsies?)
Path assistants generally don't do forensic work. Hell, most pathologists even have trouble getting forensic work these days do to government cutbacks, my state is struggling to perform necessary autopsies in a timely fashion because of it.

Pathology is one of the most benign fields in medicine, but the job market isn't fantastic, so you better really love the work and build a strong resume in residency if you want a job. It's 9-5 work for the most part, and your hours as a pathologist will be nearly the same as a pathologist assistant. Path assistants aren't licensed in all states, plus there aren't many programs. If you want to do forensics, the bottom line is be a pathologist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hell, most pathologists even have trouble getting forensic work these days do to government cutbacks, my state is struggling to perform necessary autopsies in a timely fashion because of it.

If you mean medical examiner positions (state-funded government jobs for forensic pathologists) are being cutback by various states, I wasn't aware of that. I'm not in forensics, but my impression is there's plenty of demand and need for FP's...maybe mlw03 or Autopsy101 can chime in as our SDN FP's.

If you mean medical examiner positions (state-funded government jobs for forensic pathologists) are being cutback by various states, I wasn't aware of that. I'm not in forensics, but my impression is there's plenty of demand and need for FP's...maybe mlw03 or Autopsy101 can chime in as our SDN FP's.

Mad Jack really has no idea what he is talking about re. most pathologists getting forensic work. As a forensic pathologist, I can tell you that finding work today as a FP is extremely easy. There is absolutely zero shortage of work and the majority of offices are over worked and understaffed.

With respect to the OP's question, in order to do full time forensic pathology you need to graduate from medical school, then complete a pathology residency and a fellowship in forensics. Some PA's do autopsies but not in a forensic setting.

Reactions: 1 user
FPs don't get the best pay in the field but they get work fairly reliably. They also seem to sort of be their own breed of person. You likely have to move though, unless you're in a big city. Whether you do crime scene stuff or simply do the autopsies depends on your state (or county).

There are autopsy technicians and the sort that may do the cutting and related paperwork. They're not doing the reports or investigations. At fullest capacity, they're making all the incisions and pulling out all the organs for you, unless you request otherwise. They're not usually trained PAs, since that's sort of different field. A good one is worth his/her weight in gold, but it may not be all that fulfilling.

Pure pathology assistants are found more in surgical pathology labs than autopsy bays. They do the majority of the grossing, and many cut frozens, but no scope work. If you like looking and orienting specimens, it's cool and pays well. If you want to make a diagnosis on the living or put together the pieces of a forensic autopsy and determine cause and manner of death, that's MD stuff.

Pathology Assistants generally aren't being employed in forensic pathology work, although I personally think there is merit to the idea. I agree that a good autopsy tech is a great asset.

Reactions: 1 user