Seeking Advice for Getting Into A Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.radha

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a US Citizen and will graduate from medical school from India this May. I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to make my application for residency programs competitive, e.g. should I do research and what type, should I do clinical work and what type, what connections should I make, etc. I could really use any and all advice from you. Ask yourself if you had to redo your entire application what would you change, what would you have done differently. I plan on applying for residency programs for 2003.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks!!!

Radha

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm sorry but I don't have the answers you were looking for. But I hope you will have the answers I'm looking for. You said you just finished med school in India. I'm interested at that aspect and would like to know how long did it take you? How much did it cost? And, did you go straight from high school or did you do your undergrad work first? I would really appreciate it if you could help me out. Thank you, and good luck.

------------------
The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men often go astray
-- John Steinbeck

In regards to your reply, I finished my undergraduate here in the US and then went to India to do med school. I did learn a lot, and got a lot of exposure to diseases that you would rarely see here in the US. In addition, I got to learn about my country's culture and help out the poor. However, if you are considering going abroad, you would not be able to do your steps as scheduled like here in the US. Most probably you would have to do it after you graduate from med school. You also have to take a clinical skills exam, as well as the TOFEL. Also, unfortunately as foreign med school graduates, we have to score a lot higher on the USMLE's than others to get a good residency. Hope this helps a little. Good luck!