Seeking advice about research opportunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lSnowman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Im currently an M1 (DO school) trudging along through (mostly) virtual medical school. I've been given a potential research opportunity and wanted to get some opinions on whether or not it would be worth taking. Basically, I have been offered a spot at an 8 week summer research internship in a field I have a lot of interest in. The only kicker is that with the way our spring semester runs into our summer semester 2-3 weeks of the internship would run parallel to the time that I am either A. Finishing up spring semester/taking exams or B. The beginning of summer semester. I don't want to let my grades slide, but will not be able to do the research without doing it at least partially during one of my semesters.

So the question is, does it seem worth it to potentially sacrifice study time and potentially a few exam grades (A-->B or B-->C not failing of course) to take the opportunity or is the academic cost not worth it.
The internship will likely require 40 hr weeks for the most part.

I don't have to make the decision for over a month but I'm interested to see how others view the situation in light of step 1//comlex becoming P/F and research, extracurriculars, etc. taking on more importance.

Any input is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Research. Preclinical grades don’t matter all too much and as long as you have a decent GPA. people are going to care more about the awesome research paper you did vs the B you got in medical Spanish