Seeking Advice about Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superpsyguy

Reaction score
Hello! I'm currently an undergraduate student (in psychology), and I wanted to get some feedback to see if I have a solid plan going forward. I'm not asking what my chances of getting into grad school are, I'm more asking about the plan itself.

In the next year, I should get:
-8 months of experience in a lab as an RA taking physiological readings during psychological experiments.
-8 months of experience as part of a research team focusing on developing a plan to aid students with a specific disorder at the university.
-10 months of experience as an RA in lab in which my role is research design, data analysis, and manuscript prep.
-120 hours at an internship working as support for clinicians (not doing therapy).

I also intend to take the GRE next spring, and have been reviewing and relearning stats (as well as the SPSS and R programs).

I have about a year left of my undergrad to complete everything listed above, and since I'm applying to Clinical PhD programs after I graduate, I'll be taking a year off.

So... is this a good plan? Is there anything else I should do before I graduate?

Additionally, what should I be looking to do in that year in between? I don't want to work a run of the mill minimum wage job, so any suggestions about what to look for in terms of employment or continued research would be helpful.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I'm currently an undergraduate student (in psychology), and I wanted to get some feedback to see if I have a solid plan going forward. I'm not asking what my chances of getting into grad school are, I'm more asking about the plan itself.

In the next year, I should get:
-8 months of experience in a lab as an RA taking physiological readings during psychological experiments.
-8 months of experience as part of a research team focusing on developing a plan to aid students with a specific disorder at the university.
-10 months of experience as an RA in lab in which my role is research design, data analysis, and manuscript prep.
-120 hours at an internship working as support for clinicians (not doing therapy).

I also intend to take the GRE next spring, and have been reviewing and relearning stats (as well as the SPSS and R programs).

I have about a year left of my undergrad to complete everything listed above, and since I'm applying to Clinical PhD programs after I graduate, I'll be taking a year off.

So... is this a good plan? Is there anything else I should do before I graduate?

Additionally, what should I be looking to do in that year in between? I don't want to work a run of the mill minimum wage job, so any suggestions about what to look for in terms of employment or continued research would be helpful.

Thanks!
From one PsyGuy to another, perhaps try to see if you can get your name on some of those writings or publications for any of those labs your in?

Or even a poster presentation at a conference could be useful.

One thing I wish I did more during undergrad was talk to my advisor/the psych professors more to prepare for grad school. Maybe hit up some office hours and get chummy with some of them.

From one PsyGuy to another, perhaps try to see if you can get your name on some of those writings or publications for any of those labs your in?

Or even a poster presentation at a conference could be useful.

One thing I wish I did more during undergrad was talk to my advisor/the psych professors more to prepare for grad school. Maybe hit up some office hours and get chummy with some of them.
Hey!
Two of the labs definitely have the opportunity for a publication or poster, as I had talked with the professors about that beforehand, and they had confirmed that.

I'll definitely talk more to professors during office hours though; I haven't done much of that other than for getting into labs and asking questions outside of class.