Sedation privileges at your shop? Hard to get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

europeman

Trauma Surgeon / Intensivist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting my privileges. I'm curious how any of you got moderate sedation privileges. What kind of documentation or certification did you present?

Members don't see this ad.

Sedations in the ICU?

It would never occur to me that anyone could tell me what level of sedation I can use in the ICU...

Clearly I have little experience outside of the academic world.

HH

Members don't see this ad :)
i had to watch some videos, take a class and take a test. took about 6 hours in total and they let me do it during pgy3 year to count for july as an attending.
59 days to go!

Sedations in the ICU?

It would never occur to me that anyone could tell me what level of sedation I can use in the ICU...

Clearly I have little experience outside of the academic world.

HH

he probably means non-intubated patients?

One would think. Of course a new intensivist's thinking might be, "I can always intubate if I have to." However, the art of conscious sedation is getting optimal procedural comfort without having to pull the trigger on intubation.

All the hospitals I have sedation privileges had a pretty easy test in addition to a requirement of one sedation done in the last 2 yrs. Peds sedation was just another test. I think airway skills is a requirement as well, but I think that might have been included in general surgery core privileges because they didn't ask me about it separately (or maybe that got documented when I first got sedation privileges in residency)