Securing an assistanceship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocJ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If they're willing to pay me for my education...

My question is this: What are the steps I should take to make myself THE perfect candidate for an assistanceship into a DPT program?

*I'm plugging away, part-time, at my grad work in exercise physiology. At the rate I'm moving I have about two years left. (If I could secure an assistanceship into the dpt program I'd jump on that immediately.)

*I hold a secondary ed teaching license and have a couple years of teaching experience

*I have a couple years experience as a strength and conditioning coach

*I'm working for a health club as a personal trainer (more than simple guided workouts, I'm developing comprehensive wellness plans)

*I'm developing general and specific wellness seminars, many of which will be conducted on a volunteer basis, free to the community

*I will be involved in community volunteer activities through the health club

*I will have at least one basic level ACSM certification by the end of the year and am studying and working my way toward their top cert (registered exercise physiologist)

*I plan to start clinical observation/shadowing/volunteer work (This is something I really could use some advice on.)

***Other advice?

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteer/Work/Observe in a variety of settings (Nursing Home, Wound Care, Ortho, Out-Patient, Peds, ETC). The school will teach you to become a generalist in the field. Try to get exposure to EVERYTHING that physical therapy has to offer. Know the Good, Bad, and Ugly side of PT. My fav was wound care and nursing home. Wound care was an awsome gruesome experiance (Not for people with a sensitive stomach. The PT was wound care certified). Nursing home had an awsome PT staff and humbled me a little bit (Good team with PT,PTA,ACOTAs,speech therapist, and an Awsome Informative DON) (After studying the generalist route, I would of wanted to work in this setting and become a Geriatric Physical Therapist- I felt that this population needs a lot of attention and care plus I got to meet some great nursing home residents)(Most try to not to persue this setting b.c mainly of death and the setting environment, but I loved it). The sports ortho place had one PT who I have tremendious respect for and I wish he would start teaching b/c he can provide students with a lot of information or become a clinic instructor~this is what the profession needs.More people like him who have the passion for mentoring others into becoming physical therapists. He is humble, professional, answers questions, and loves what he does). Aqua PT was humerous. The least setting that I didnt enjoy was Peds. This was mainly due to the lack of professionalism in the PT department. Bunch of arrogant pricks who make the field look bad and sort of cast away interest in people who really want to persue physical therapy. (Thought to know it all but WERE MORE OF WELL PAID CHEERLEADERS who never answered questions, cast down on volunteers, and snobbish)--What happened to giving back to the field--they were once students trying to persue physical therapy, but I guess they forgot. Physical Therapy is about helping people during their time of need, giving back to the field/community and ALSO INFLUENCING STUDENTS (mentorism) in becoming Physical Therapists~haha, had to lay it off my chest. The Children were fun. One setting I wish I observed was HOME HEALTH

APTA.ORG

http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm...schools/acc_schools_map.cfm&process=3&type=PT

Any specific physical therapy programs you are interested in?

You can read dpt for more general info.

DPT thread = great post(s) Grue1some

BTW I become inspired when i read how difficult the programs can be!

I am very interested in the program a St. Ambrose University in Iowa - BUT I'M GOING TO TAKE YOUR ADVICE and research a variety of schools.

I think the diversified observe/volunteer/work advice is something I need to take to heart.

It is sure easy to seek out the settings that I immediately recognize as interesting. However, common sense would tell that even among a given specialization the experience would vary from place to place, among the different groups of people I'd be working with. Also, who knows what I'll really fall in love with (or dislike) until I get my feet wet.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://web.sau.edu/pt/curriculum.htm
St. Ambrose

This year we received 128 applications for 30 positions or approximately 4 applications for every position in the class.

Ouch that is steep LOL.. There are programs that have all year applications or they accept a large majority of people.

Suggestions:

Find a PT who has some years of experiance under his/her belt. Usually the fresh ones out of college think they know a lot but in all reality they dont. I had my share with some from best to worse. Experiance is the key. Get an experianced mentor..

Look at the price of the school too.. If you want to spend the rest of your life using public transportation and living with roommates along with your family then pick the most expensive ones. Debt sux and who knows down the line if you want to start a family or go to med/pa school.

If you can I suggest you work as a tech to get some experiance. Observing is cool and you do learn, but tech is where you can actually do some things.

With your background, experiance, and credits~a school is willing to give a spot to you.

Some of your exercise physiology courses will be in PT school. So it will be a little bit easier on you than for those who never even taken the class. I remember I was in Kinesiology and Biomechanics class in my undergraduate. A couple of my classmates who are now PT students in LSU, St. Aug, Emory, and Texas Womens have it slightly easier b/c they been through the class before.

Technically in PT school you are like an exercise physiologist or a personal trainer in a way. Basically you are prescribing exercise/stretches as a form of rehabilitation.

So I guess this health field profession is best fit for your needs.

Might as well check out the stages in physical therapy threadand message some other people if you have further questions which I cannot answer.

This will show my ignorance here, as I've been out of school for a few years, and things change quickly. Can you tell me what an assistanceship is? Is this the same as what I used to do before I got into school where I shadowed PT's in different settings? I think I could better advise you if I got that clarified.

...don't use big words....I'm from Texas.:laugh:

I never heard of that word being used until now.

Find a PT who has some years of experiance under his/her belt.
>
>
If you can I suggest you work as a tech to get some experiance. Observing is cool and you do learn, but tech is where you can actually do some things.
I just met a woman who's family is great friends with a DPT who is actually the CEO of a large clinic with four major facilities in my region. I'm going to seek him out and ask for his ideas on the best of his employees that I might be able to shadow.

To work as a tech, don't I need a specific PT Tech certification?

Assistanceships are fairly common. You've all hear of graduate assistants right? That is as assistanceship. Usually tuition is waived and a stipend is paied! Some programs even provide living quarters as a part of the program. In return, the student performs some form of work - teaching undergrad classes (if so qualified), assisting in research projects, field work, clinical work, etc.

As a tech or aid or whatever the word is you dont need anything.

Shadow/Observe is great. Observe a variety of settings like I told you and then work as a tech.

I wouldnt recommend doing the assistance thing, but it is up to you LOL. Some programs murder their students while others allow some flexibility. There are loan forgiveness programs and health shortage scholarship deals where they pay for EVERYTHING but you commit to them. http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/jobs/

I got a friend currently his junior year as a dental student. I dont know how in the hell he does this but he goes to School during the day then teaches Biology at a college at night. He is currently taking the deal from HRSA. He doesnt pay for jack shi*. Everything is taken care of. I think he does about 4 years in some indian reservation or something.

There is good and bad in taking it.
Good=Everything is paid
Bad=4 years of hell

As a tech or aid or whatever the word is you dont need anything.
I know that you do for some positions at some clinics. Just saw a PT assistant job posting for a local clinic a couple days ago - "must be PT Tech certified."

I'm sure I will be able to find opportunities that don't require such certification though.

I know that you do for some positions at some clinics. Just saw a PT assistant job posting for a local clinic a couple days ago - "must be PT Tech certified."

I'm sure I will be able to find opportunities that don't require such certification though.

There is a physical therapist assistant (PTA), but it requires an associates or 2 years of school. However, the tech job is below that and requires nothing. Maybe I am saying the word wrong. Something below the assistant.

physical therapist aide is below a physical therapist assistant, also known as a tech.