Section 1680(e) B&P of California Business and Professions Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdrca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am new here and just recently found out about this place. It's great there is a forum out there to go to for info and resources!

I recently graduated in 2009 and have just started working. I have a question.

Can someone who practices in California (that's where I am practicing) explaing the meaning of Section 1680(e) B&P of California Business and Professions Code? It states:

1680. Unprofessional conduct by a person licensed under this
chapter is defined as, but is not limited to, any one of the
following:
(e) The committing of any act or acts of sexual abuse, misconduct,
or relations with a patient that are substantially related to the
practice of dentistry.

I understand you can't have sexual abuse and all that, that's obvious. But what is ment by
"relations with a patient that are substantially related to the
practice of dentistry."? Does that mean I can't befriend a patient that is my own age or close to my age because he/she is my patient? Or is it just we can't display relationships in the office, but we can hang out outside of the office?
Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I would ask this question on dentaltown.

I would imagine the statute is there indicating you cannot ethically have a personal, romantic relationship with your patient. Conflict of interest I suppose.

Do yourself a favor and refer the patient to another dentist and then ask them out. If she/he needed any dental Tx done, you can see them on "an emergency basis" but have the chart owned by another dentist. :oops:

I would ask this question on dentaltown.

I would imagine the statute is there indicating you cannot ethically have a personal, romantic relationship with your patient. Conflict of interest I suppose.

Do yourself a favor and refer the patient to another dentist and then ask them out. If she/he needed any dental Tx done, you can see them on "an emergency basis" but have the chart owned by another dentist. :oops:

where is dental town? is it a thread on this forum?

so as long as i am no longer that person's direct dentist, relationships are ok, even tho we met during an exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
where is dental town? is it a thread on this forum?

so as long as i am no longer that person's direct dentist, relationships are ok, even tho we met during an exam?

Did you probe her furcation?