Secret etiquette for the application process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdsmurph

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard rumors that certain programs (vandy, duke, etc) don't contact applicants for an interview unless they show specific interest in the program by contacting the program outside of ERAS with a call, letter, or e-mail.
Is this truly necessary to get interviews?
Is this a common practice?
Is there some type of secret application etiquette that must be follwed?

It seems to me that multiple applicants contacting a program outside of ERAS would be an annoyance to the program. It seems that such contact would hurt one's chances of an interview or a position.

Has anyone heard of this being a common practice for screening applicants?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

jdsmurph said:
I've heard rumors that certain programs (vandy, duke, etc) don't contact applicants for an interview unless they show specific interest in the program by contacting the program outside of ERAS with a call, letter, or e-mail.
Is this truly necessary to get interviews?
Is this a common practice?
Is there some type of secret application etiquette that must be follwed?

It seems to me that multiple applicants contacting a program outside of ERAS would be an annoyance to the program. It seems that such contact would hurt one's chances of an interview or a position.

Has anyone heard of this being a common practice for screening applicants?

Thanks

I've never heard of this. I applied to most of the top programs and had interviews scheduled with all to which I applied (including Duke). I did nothing more than ERAS.

Ed

edmadison said:
I've never heard of this. I applied to most of the top programs and had interviews scheduled with all to which I applied (including Duke). I did nothing more than ERAS.

Ed

Ditto. However, if you are seriously considering a program after you interview, it does not hurt to express such interest with a letter (including if you plan to rank them #1).