Secondary Submission Dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sampats

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question regarding secondary submission dates. I have heard some conflicting information so would like a clarification. If an applicant submits secondaries in early September and done by mid September (September 15th), would that applicant still have a strong chance of getting admitted for the cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

thats getting on the late side, why would said applicant not complete them before then?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Considering about 40% get an MD admission, the general person doesn’t have a “strong chance.”
The September submitter will have a worse chance that the one who was complete in July, if you want to make wide generalizations.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Would September be an automatic rejection or is there a legit chance?

Would September be an automatic rejection or is there a legit chance?
people with December completion dates have been accepted before, if you want to generalize

Later retake MCAT

Needing to retake the MCAT and thus having a complete application well after Labor Day seems to be two strikes against you. Thousands of applicants will be ahead of you in the queue to be reviewed and the likelihood that you will rise to the top and be skimmed off for assignment to a reader and eventual invitation to interview is slimmer than if you applied and were complete by 8/31 or 7/31.

Worst case scenario, you don't get in anywhere (or get into waitlist circle of hell) and end up applying in 2024 or later. Why not wait until 2024 and avoid the late-cycle roulette?

Needing to retake the MCAT and thus having a complete application well after Labor Day seems to be two strikes against you. Thousands of applicants will be ahead of you in the queue to be reviewed and the likelihood that you will rise to the top and be skimmed off for assignment to a reader and eventual invitation to interview is slimmer than if you applied and were complete by 8/31 or 7/31.

Worst case scenario, you don't get in anywhere (or get into waitlist circle of hell) and end up applying in 2024 or later. Why not wait until 2024 and avoid the late-cycle roulette?
@LizzyM Thank you for your response! However, I'm a little confused. If I am not mistaken, you were the one who created the Labor Day rule, correct? Thus, if I'm complete by labor day, then how would I be late?

@LizzyM Thank you for your response! However, I'm a little confused. If I am not mistaken, you were the one who created the Labor Day rule, correct? Thus, if I'm complete by labor day, then how would I be late?
You mentioned September 15th. That is at least 8 days after Labor Day. In 2023 it is 11 days after Labor Day.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You mentioned September 15th. That is at least 8 days after Labor Day. In 2023 it is 11 days after Labor Day.
@LizzyM My apologies for the confusion, I meant to say Labor Day. Therefore, do you belive an application that is complete by Labor Day is fine?

If your application is complete including all MCAT scores reported, letters received, and secondaries submitted by Labor Day, you are not late. However, you can expect that you may not have any interviews until November or even later. There is some mental anguish in that situation so be aware of it. It doesn't mean you won't get in but it does stretch things out and lead to self-doubts. Almost 60% of applicants are not admitted in any given year; you don't want to be in that group so don't apply unless you ar sure that your application is the best it can be.

Define "strong chance".

Please note that applicants need to pay attention to SJT requirements, especially if schools expect results to mark the file ready for screening. The later you push the secondary essays but don't do a required SJT, your chances to get an II can shrink.

I had a question regarding secondary submission dates. I have heard some conflicting information so would like a clarification. If an applicant submits secondaries in early September and done by mid September (September 15th), would that applicant still have a strong chance of getting admitted for the cycle?
Chances also depend on qualifications, not just timing. The applicant has to choose between having a chance of acceptance with this schedule vs waiting a year and applying early with a better chance of acceptance the next cycle. Applications are reviewed and people get accepted who are complete in mid-September, but it seems like chances go down.

Define "strong chance".

Please note that applicants need to pay attention to SJT requirements, especially if schools expect results to mark the file ready for screening. The later you push the secondary essays but don't do a required SJT, your chances to get an II can shrink.
What is this SJT acronym? Don't think I've seen that one before.

If your application is complete including all MCAT scores reported, letters received, and secondaries submitted by Labor Day, you are not late. However, you can expect that you may not have any interviews until November or even later. There is some mental anguish in that situation so be aware of it. It doesn't mean you won't get in but it does stretch things out and lead to self-doubts. Almost 60% of applicants are not admitted in any given year; you don't want to be in that group so don't apply unless you ar sure that your application is the best it can be.
@LizzyM do you think there’s a significant difference from being complete august 4th or September 4th? Or is it on the same level?

@LizzyM do you think there’s a significant difference from being complete august 4th or September 4th? Or is it on the same level?
August 4th is always better than September 4th given that many schools are already giving interview invites in August and if you aren't already in line you are competing for a dwindling number of slots when September rolls around.

I created the Labor Day rule mostly to help people chill out when they would become upset that their school's committee letter would not be released until late August. I never saw it hurt a Dukie back when dear Mary Frances was writing every one of those letters herself (she retired and it took a team to replace her). So, that's the history of the Labor Day rule but if you have things you can control, it is better to be early than late.

Reactions: 1 users
If your MCAT was a 514 as you shared in a previous WAMC, do not delay your application for a retake. It will not help you and will decrease your chances at least at some schools by applying later.