Secondary Essays and Reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akestler

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am reapplying and rewrote my PS for the 2nd time around. I am applying to numerous schools again and was wondering if I have to rewrite brand new secondary essays for them. Can I just use the same essays and maybe improve them a little bit? What are you guys doing?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

At least from the schools I reapplied to the second time I got waitlisted everywhere...they keep all the old applications...again...just the schools I interviewed at. I spoke with the dean of admissions the summer before I started my PhD about my plans and he explained to me...while looking at my old application and my new one...why I was still waitlisted. He had everything including my letters...the reports from all past and present interviews. I think most schools do this because a good percentage of each entering class must be reapplicants! I'm sure it varies school to school, but I think 99 percent keep everything for a year or two at least. :cool:

So better to give them something knew...because they already have the old stuff.

I think its worth the extra effort.

My opinions.

Good Luck!

-s

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year I only completed the secondaries for about 5-6 schools. The only thing "new" that I am giving them this time around is a new MCAT score and new ECs. I did three drafts for my PS and had them read by both my advisors and an honest friend but they all liked the initial PS and recommended that I keep it as it is.

akestler said:
Hey all,

I am reapplying and rewrote my PS for the 2nd time around. I am applying to numerous schools again and was wondering if I have to rewrite brand new secondary essays for them. Can I just use the same essays and maybe improve them a little bit? What are you guys doing?

Thanks.

So what's the verdict? New secondary essays or not?

When I applied for the second time, I re-wrote all essays. If it didn't work the first time, I felt it probably needed to be changed. I do think that most schools hold on to old applications for at least one year and can review what you wrote. I felt it was better to show that I could come up with new material instead of rehashing old stuff.

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=20049323

i'm totally having this issue too. so, let's take the case of columbia (i pretty much believe that it's hopeless for me to be re-applying there, but i like the pain...or something). there's an essay on "what satisfactions do you expect from your career as a physician?" i re-read my essay from last year and i still think it's good, and so does a friend who sits on admissions at another med school. and most importnatly, my answer to the q hasn't changed.

meanwhile, i have a completely different PS, 4 of 5 of my letters are new, and about 1/2 of my post-secondary activities are different this time around. last year my app was complete at columbia around early december and my academic LOR's were from 1997. so several things are different/better this year.

so in this case, do you still think i should not recycle the secondary essay? part of it is that i'm trying to triage my time (have a job, school, and a ridic number of secondaries to do) and part of it is that for this particular essay question, i don't have a new answer so it would suck to rewrite from scratch. would end up saying essentially the same things.

grrr...what a headache. we must be serious masochists to do this all over.

anyway, would love anyone's 2 cents...thx

ambaduchi said:
i'm totally having this issue too. so, let's take the case of columbia (i pretty much believe that it's hopeless for me to be re-applying there, but i like the pain...or something). there's an essay on "what satisfactions do you expect from your career as a physician?" i re-read my essay from last year and i still think it's good, and so does a friend who sits on admissions at another med school. and most importnatly, my answer to the q hasn't changed.

meanwhile, i have a completely different PS, 4 of 5 of my letters are new, and about 1/2 of my post-secondary activities are different this time around. last year my app was complete at columbia around early december and my academic LOR's were from 1997. so several things are different/better this year.

so in this case, do you still think i should not recycle the secondary essay? part of it is that i'm trying to triage my time (have a job, school, and a ridic number of secondaries to do) and part of it is that for this particular essay question, i don't have a new answer so it would suck to rewrite from scratch. would end up saying essentially the same things.

grrr...what a headache. we must be serious masochists to do this all over.

anyway, would love anyone's 2 cents...thx

I agree with you. I have nothing new to say for most of these essays. I still feel the same way I did a year ago so why should I re-write them. Forexample, I still have the same stressful situation that I did a year ago so what amI supposed to come up with a new one just so that it can be different?