Second Year Med School - Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JP2740

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I may be switching to ENT. I got a school grant for neuro research between M1 and M2, but the most I'll get out of that is a poster- and of course, not ent related research. In terms of grades I'm at the top of my class (only saying this in case it affects the answer to my next question)

I'm wondering if I should get involved with some sort of project during my second year, which I started a few weeks ago, or just focus on keeping my grades up and hopefully, step I goes along with that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Right now I may be switching to ENT. I got a school grant for neuro research between M1 and M2, but the most I'll get out of that is a poster- and of course, not ent related research. In terms of grades I'm at the top of my class (only saying this in case it affects the answer to my next question)

I'm wondering if I should get involved with some sort of project during my second year, which I started a few weeks ago, or just focus on keeping my grades up and hopefully, step I goes along with that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I would focus first on making connections in your school's ENT department and getting some shadowing exposure. Once you get to know some of the faculty, pick one or two to approach about possible research projects.

I would focus first on making connections in your school's ENT department and getting some shadowing exposure. Once you get to know some of the faculty, pick one or two to approach about possible research projects.

Agree with this.

Not having research does not exclude you from interviews or from obtaining an ENT residency. However, as the years have progressed, I see more and more medical students (percentage-wise) who have done research. If you have not done research by the time you are a 4th year, you will likely be in the minority of applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there typically opportunities in 3rd year to get involved in projects? Or should I just suck it up and begin now?

I'll start talking to some department ENT over here.

Is there typically opportunities in 3rd year to get involved in projects? Or should I just suck it up and begin now?

I'll start talking to some department ENT over here.

The sooner you start, the better. You will likely have more free time as a M2 than a M3 (other than a couple easy rotations, i.e. psychiatry).

It's unclear from your earlier post if you've actually shadowed or had any clinical exposure to ENT yet. I would definitely do that first so you can get some idea if you really are interested in the specialty or not.