Second Looks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pingu

The Imelda Marcos of Path
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive been setting up some second looks at my top programs and wanted to get y'alls opinion on what is MOST important to see on a second look?

Members don't see this ad.

Pingu said:
Ive been setting up some second looks at my top programs and wanted to get y'alls opinion on what is MOST important to see on a second look?
2nd looks are totally chill man. just sit there, and observe the environment and ask yourself, "is this the work environment i want to be in". for instance, i wanted to see if people were nice, the quality of the at-the-scope teaching, the happiness of the residents, if people had a sense of humor or personalities of wet farts, etc.

I've begun setting up second looks too. The main thing for me will be getting a refresher on the program, seeing as how it's been so long since my interview. I'll want to make sure that the program appears just like it did at my first visit, with no hidden surprises. I'll want to attend conferences and sign-outs that I wasn't able to attend on my interview day. And finally, I'll want to meet more residents and see how happy they are there. But most importantly, I'll want to show the residency program that I truly am interested, in the hopes they will rank me higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
stormjen said:
I've begun setting up second looks too. The main thing for me will be getting a refresher on the program, seeing as how it's been so long since my interview. I'll want to make sure that the program appears just like it did at my first visit, with no hidden surprises. I'll want to attend conferences and sign-outs that I wasn't able to attend on my interview day. And finally, I'll want to meet more residents and see how happy they are there. But most importantly, I'll want to show the residency program that I truly am interested, in the hopes they will rank me higher.
I am hoping to set one up at Dahtmouth.

Its definitely my number one choice.

Jeeves said:
I am hoping to set one up at Dahtmouth.

I was really impressed with Dartmouth. My only problem is that it is SO rural. I don't really mind that but I am concerned that my wife won't be able to find a job up there. Anybody familiar with the area in terms of job opportunities? I did ask about this on my interview (probably to my detriment) and didn't really get any straight answers. My wife is a NY attorney that makes her living (both of ours really :D ) defending doctors. Anyone got any info?

Jeeves said:

Then is a 2nd look really needed?

You people are making me depressed. If I buy one more plane ticket, Bank of America is going to storm my house at night, tie me up and set me on fire. I'd love to be able to re-visit a place just to convince them to rank me higher...but alas, I will have to be perceived as a slacker who just sends an email.

cytoborg said:
Then is a 2nd look really needed?

You people are making me depressed. If I buy one more plane ticket, Bank of America is going to storm my house at night, tie me up and set me on fire. I'd love to be able to re-visit a place just to convince them to rank me higher...but alas, I will have to be perceived as a slacker who just sends an email.

if it's of any comfort to ya, that's what i'm doing. probably will send out a letter or an email tomorrow to program #1. i can't travel anymore...i'm just plain sick of it. plus, my postdoc formally starts in february so i can't be taking days off anymore.

I thought long and hard about 2nd visits, but decided against it. If I take any more time off I will have to make it up, and I weelly weelly weelly don't want to prolong this clerkship state if I can help it.

I don't think second visits are "necessary" in any sense of the word. I mean, once 2nd looks become de rigueur, then people will start doing 3rd looks to "stand out".... and 4th looks... and so on ad infinitum. It has to stop somewhere.

Second visits are more important for you than for the program - while it may impress them a tad if you show the enthusiasm to come for a second visit, it doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. If a program is your top choice, you can tell them, and that clearly indicates your level of interest.

yaah said:
Second visits are more important for you than for the program - while it may impress them a tad if you show the enthusiasm to come for a second visit, it doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. If a program is your top choice, you can tell them, and that clearly indicates your level of interest.

Sir Yes Sir!
I'll get right on that, Sir!

This year there are a ton of people coming back to BWH for second looks. Since there seems to be some confusion regarding the value of this type of visit, I thought I would clarify how things work here at BWH.

Applicants are only evaluated during their interview. Any additional interactions outside the interview day have no influence on your rank. The second visit is intended to provide you with more information about day to day life as a resident. We realize that you barely get to see any residents much less a signout during your interview day. These are important aspects of evaluating a program. If you need more information to evaluate a program, then by all means please come for a second visit. We really enjoy talking to people and want to make sure you are well informed. If you want to express how interested you are, then please send an e-mail or a letter and don't blow your cash on an extra plane flight or hotel. Once again let me reiterate that this information only applies to BWH. Other programs may work differently.

Good luck on the match.

I think the advice above applies to most programs out there - I didn't do any but was told similarly that there was no evaluation at second visits.

yaah said:
I think the advice above applies to most programs out there - I didn't do any but was told similarly that there was no evaluation at second visits.
I agree. I only went on one second visit ultimately to see if my impressions were legit from the first visit. If the fact that I didn't go on other 2nd visits hurts me in some weird way in the long run, so be it.