second chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted259194

I'm a jr at UT and due to the lack of bad studying habits, knowing what i wanted to do in life, and confidence in myself i have a really low gpa, it's going to be around 2.5 when i graduate. I have a 3.77 at austin community college, at first i refuse to accept that i pretty much wasted the 4 years while in college. But now i know what i want to do (physical therapy) and have the confidence and the right mind set. I was just wondering if i retake all my pre-reg at acc and bust my ass and do all i can (shadowing, volunteering, preparing day and night to get into a pt program) will i have a shot?will some school overlook my bad history and see the i am serious now?

and also,when i go back to acc to retake all my pre-regs, since fin aid only allow their services only if you are pursuing a degree how will i get around this? both or either of these question is greatly appreciate if you have any inputs.

Members don't see this ad.

I almost forgot, i just want to say thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I know just now realize how important time is and thanks anyone in advance for their input. Have a great day and god bless :)

as long as you can get your overall gpa above the min. req (normally a 3.0) and do great on the gre and other areas that schools look at, you will def have a shot. also if your gpa is low it is often to look at schools that require an interview. if the selection comittee can see ur drive and passion to be a pt first hand, they will be more likely to overlook a low gpa. also apply to private schools. they are often easier to get into simply because state schools are cheaper which makes state schools very competitive. but what will get you into pt school is your dedication to getting there :)

Members don't see this ad :)
as long as you can get your overall gpa above the min. req (normally a 3.0) and do great on the gre and other areas that schools look at, you will def have a shot. also if your gpa is low it is often to look at schools that require an interview. if the selection comittee can see ur drive and passion to be a pt first hand, they will be more likely to overlook a low gpa. also apply to private schools. they are often easier to get into simply because state schools are cheaper which makes state schools very competitive. but what will get you into pt school is your dedication to getting there :)

Quoted for truth.
Gladiator, you sound like me 3 years ago: graduated from MSU with a major in Izzone studies and a minor in miller lite. GPA under 2.8. I spent a year working in a PT clinic, then I spent this year taking 28 credits and I'm up to over a 3.0. I did well on the GRE (to the tune of about 60th percentile +/- 5% on each section) and worked hard at my job to get good LORs. I've been accepted to one school and am currently waitlisted for two others. 2009 was my second time applying to DPT programs.
I say don't give up. I too felt that I was smart enough, passionate enough, caring enough, and FINALLY motivated enough to become a physical therapist. If that describes you as well, and you can make it the next 1-2 years taking classes at CC and changing pillowcases in a hospital or clinic while your friends who majored in business start making actual money, GO FOR IT. Know that it's a long, tough, and sometimes cruel road, but put your mind to it, and you can do it!! It will be worth it in the end, trust me.
As for financial aid, I can't help you there. I sold my car to pay for credits straight up and now I drive an old station wagon with a cassette player :(
It's still worth it when I read my acceptance letter :)

Thanks alot guys :) that means alot. I'm tired of comparing myself to everyone else, it's time for me to start my own path, and sacrifice all things that i enjoy doing for a shot at my future and my dream. Appreciate it guys and have a good one.

Thanks alot guys :) that means alot. I'm tired of comparing myself to everyone else, it's time for me to start my own path, and sacrifice all things that i enjoy doing for a shot at my future and my dream. Appreciate it guys and have a good one.

The dedication that people are talking about is not just the application process, it starts with making the decision not to go to quarter draw nite at the campus bar and skipping the thursday nite basketball game the night before a test etc . . .

I made my share of the same mistakes, it takes a gut check to change your behavior. Imagine teaching PE everyday, ballroom dancing, kickball, etc . . . to a bunch of kids who don't want to be there. Or, sitting in a lab swishing petri dishes with sputum, or drawing blood day in and day out. Gets a guy motivated.