This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ormnontrad

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked multiple times as I have read many posts about this but I had my own questions for members with some expiernce about this.

When I was 13 years old I was arrested and charged with both a felony and a misdemeanor both for vandalism (I had graffitied 2 different locations with a friend) The reason that one was charged as a felony was that in the state of California anything above $400 in damage is considered a felony, anything under is a misdemeanor. I was given 3 years probation and served it without getting into anymore trouble again and sealed my record when I was released from probation, by the time I apply to medical I would be 26 and about 13 years will have passed. I have a unique story for when I was growing up to what might have contributed to me doing those things and I plan to disclose my past criminal history to med schools, I was just wondering what my chances are to getting into med schools with juvenile vandalism charges that are sealed, being a physician is the only thing I can see myself being and hate that I made these mistakes as a child. Also I know that when someone sees the word felony they think the worst and I’m worried that my application would be screened out just because I disclosed my felony but it wasnt serious or violent offense.

Members don't see this ad.

I also have done a FBI background check on myself and nothing showed up, should I still disclose ?

Alright guess you don’t have to report it

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
From the AMCAS applicant guide:

"You must indicate if you have ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a felony
crime, excluding (1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile or (2) convictions that
have been expunged or sealed by a court (in states where applicable). You need not disclose any
instance in which you:
• Were arrested but not charged
• Were arrested and charged, with the charges dropped
• Were arrested and charged, but found not guilty by a judge or jury
• Were arrested and found guilty by a judge or jury, with the conviction overturned on appeal
• Were arrested and found guilty but received an executive pardon
If you answer Yes, you’ll have 1,325 characters to explain the circumstances of your conviction,
including the number of conviction(s), the nature of the offense(s) leading to conviction(s), the date(s)
and location(s) of conviction(s), the sentence(s) imposed, and the type(s) of rehabilitation."

You do not need to report this.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll be fine for AMCAS, they can't view sealed juvenile records. State licensing boards are different though, and they will be able to see your offenses. Given that theyre non violent you should be fine, but it wouldn't hurt to have a lawyers opinion, or you could anon call state licensing boards yourself. SWIM has some experience with this, and he can't get licensed in a handful of states.

I also have done a FBI background check on myself and nothing showed up, should I still disclose ?

Where you convicted or adjudicated of the felony? While your crime can not be seen through a background check it's strange that your fingerprints don't appear in the database.

Where you convicted or adjudicated of the felony? While your crime can not be seen through a background check it's strange that your fingerprints don't appear in the database.
I was adjudicated for both felony and misdemeanor. I was also surprised that nothing showed up on the fbi background. I called the fbi cjis division and asked why ones juvenile record would not show up on their fbi check and he said that it is up to the courts and police if they want to share my fingerprints and add them the the national database and since 6 years have passed since my arrest he said they most likely didn’t feel the need to disclose any other agency with my juvenile record and is most likely keeping my record in house and sealed.

Although you don't disclose in the primary application, some secondaries will ask about arrests and convictions.
Thanks for the reply @gyngyn, since some secondaries ask about only convictions would I have to disclose still as I was adjudicated and in my state (California) I was arrested in says that being adjudicated as a juvenile is not the same as a conviction. Also if a school secondary doesn’t ask anything more about criminal history other than what is on the AMCAS and I follow the directions and say no I was never convicted of a crime since it says to exclude juvenile adjudications and sealed records, would It look bad to not tell them about my juvenile record? As I posted as well nothing shows up in a fbi self background check. Thanks!

Although you don't disclose in the primary application, some secondaries will ask about arrests and convictions.
You'll be fine for AMCAS, they can't view sealed juvenile records. State licensing boards are different though, and they will be able to see your offenses. Given that theyre non violent you should be fine, but it wouldn't hurt to have a lawyers opinion, or you could anon call state licensing boards yourself. SWIM has some experience with this, and he can't get licensed in a handful of states.
what about schools that associate with a VA hospital. I know they run federal background checks and ask for fingerprinting but as I stated nothing comes back when checked.

I strong concur, you do not need to report :
1) SEALED RECORD
2) JUVENILE RECORD

I would also add that if this were to be found out, it would unlikely cause any issue with any licensing board or hospital

The OP should follow the advice of my signature, now stated in politically correct manner
Thanks @gonnif for the reply. What about secondaries that ask about convictions ? I was adjucated and in the state of California it states that an adjudication is not the same as a conviction, would I still need to disclose ?

This is what it states for juveniles that we’re charged in juvenile court. A juvenile isn’t convicted but ajudicated “they are ajudicated, not convicted” would I be telling the truth if a secondary asked if I’ve ever been convicted and I said no ? @gyngyn @gonnif

Source: loa.ca.gov

Attachments

• D496C1C3-5601-4BAB-A3BD-D1A4F64B6796.png
    D496C1C3-5601-4BAB-A3BD-D1A4F64B6796.png
    361.9 KB · Views: 101
From the AMCAS applicant guide:

"You must indicate if you have ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a felony
crime, excluding (1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile or (2) convictions that
have been expunged or sealed by a court (in states where applicable). You need not disclose any
instance in which you:
• Were arrested but not charged
• Were arrested and charged, with the charges dropped
• Were arrested and charged, but found not guilty by a judge or jury
• Were arrested and found guilty by a judge or jury, with the conviction overturned on appeal
• Were arrested and found guilty but received an executive pardon
If you answer Yes, you’ll have 1,325 characters to explain the circumstances of your conviction,
including the number of conviction(s), the nature of the offense(s) leading to conviction(s), the date(s)
and location(s) of conviction(s), the sentence(s) imposed, and the type(s) of rehabilitation."

You do not need to report this.
What do you think about secondaries should I report it then if asked about convictions? I was adjudicated but not convicted and in California those are 2 different things

Members don't see this ad :)
This my opinion and that is all it carries as weight

1) For purposes of AMCAS, adjudication is equivalent to conviction and would therefore be reasonable to assume the same for secondary applications.
2) It can also be reasonable for a non-lawyer, premedical student to conclude that since a juvenile, sealed record does not have to be reported on AMCAS that it would not have to be reported on a secondary that even asks about any arrests or convictions
3) It can also be reasonable for a non-lawyer, premedical student who has been told by the court and/or lawyer that a sealed record does not have to be released to conclude that it would not have to be reported on a secondary that even asks about any arrests or convictions
4) It can also be reasonable for a non-lawyer, premedical student who does not find his record or fingerprints are on file to conclude that it would not have to be reported on a secondary that even asks about any arrests or convictions.
5) when you apply it would appear this offense would be 10 years old which in many states is not the cutoff to report criminal conviction.
6) briefly looking the California Juvenile Court system:
--it is a civil court that does hear criminal issues
--adjudication is NOT a conviction, which means you do not have a criminal record
7) even if you disclose it to the schools, it would not change anything when you go for a medical license . The same issues would apply.
8) if a school accepts you and this does come up, I think it is minor enough to be explained in a short deans letter.

While I tend to be conservative in reporting these things, on this one my opinion (and again just my opinion) there is no need to disclose it on a secondary
Thanks for the reply I really appreciate and it gives me hope that I can make it into med school ! As you said its only your opinion but that not disclosing it on secondaries wouldn’t be a big deal and if it were to come up it would be reasonable for me to think that I didn’t have to disclose because if I wasn’t required to report on the AMCAS?

Would say potential stats

cGpa of 3.8 and sGpa of 3.8 with a MCAT of 515 and lots of clinical and non clinical volunteering about(2000 hours), a Medical assistant certification and working as a paid MA with about 2000 hours, 100 shadowing hours

Make me competitive even with my charges as a juvenile?

This is my FBI background check result. How likely would it be for a med school even one that rotates at a VA hospital to somehow find and see my juvenile record even if it doesn’t show on a FBI background check?

Attachments

• 37F24E67-C1DE-4016-9D5F-19E30C65C99B.jpeg
    37F24E67-C1DE-4016-9D5F-19E30C65C99B.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 207
This is what it states for juveniles that we’re charged in juvenile court. A juvenile isn’t convicted but ajudicated “they are ajudicated, not convicted” would I be telling the truth if a secondary asked if I’ve ever been convicted and I said no ? @gyngyn @gonnif

Source: loa.ca.gov
I have been told that schools that ask about arrests are doing so because a primary hospital at which students rotate is a government facility that may not issue a badge (depending on the type of offense).
For this reason, an expedited review may be necessary to prevent delays in matriculation. Failure to disclose, would potentially put that student at a disadvantage for residency because of avoidable interruptions in their education.

I have been told that schools that ask about arrests are doing so because a primary hospital at which students rotate is a government facility that may not issue a badge (depending on the type of offense).
For this reason, an expedited review may be necessary to prevent delays in matriculation. Failure to disclose, would potentially put that student at a disadvantage for residency because of avoidable interruptions in their education.

What if my records don’t show up in FBI nor State background checks ? I called my in state medical school (OHSU) and talked to someone from admissions she said “ report anything that would show up on a background check “. I think OHSU doesn’t ask about any further criminal history questions on the secondary only what is asked on the AMCAS app (which I’m permitted to answer No to the criminal history section as I was a juvenile and is now sealed), but I also think that OHSU rotates at a VA hospital and that would require a FBI background check but even if they ran one nothing would show up.

Where I’m confused about this specific school (OHSU) which is gonna be my top choice is if they do not ask about any further criminal convictions and arrests on the secondary and goes off of you put on the AMCAS and the AMCAS background check comes back clean, but do an FBI background later during rotations and say my record (sealed juvenile record) were to somehow show up mysteriously, how is this going to look for me ? Would I get into trouble ?

As I’ve said I have done an FBI background check and nothing has shown up I posted my results in my last post.

I honestly want to disclose everything to make it easier for the med school and getting an ID badge but I don’t want to volunteer information ( especially stuff that doesn’t show up on FBI background checks ) that is not required and that is going to weigh down my application and make things harder for me. But I feel like if I don’t say anything they’ll look at me as dishonest.

Do you think my charges I posted (juvenile vandalism) would keep me from obtaining a ID badge or delaying me from getting one if I disclosed it and was up front and it not showing up on any background checks ?

Do you think my charges I posted (juvenile vandalism) would keep me from obtaining a ID badge or delaying me from getting one if I disclosed it and was up front and it not showing up on any background checks ?
I do not know.

I know this question has been asked multiple times as I have read many posts about this but I had my own questions for members with some expiernce about this.

When I was 13 years old I was arrested and charged with both a felony and a misdemeanor both for vandalism (I had graffitied 2 different locations with a friend) The reason that one was charged as a felony was that in the state of California anything above $400 in damage is considered a felony, anything under is a misdemeanor. I was given 3 years probation and served it without getting into anymore trouble again and sealed my record when I was released from probation, by the time I apply to medical I would be 26 and about 13 years will have passed. I have a unique story for when I was growing up to what might have contributed to me doing those things and I plan to disclose my past criminal history to med schools, I was just wondering what my chances are to getting into med schools with juvenile vandalism charges that are sealed, being a physician is the only thing I can see myself being and hate that I made these mistakes as a child. Also I know that when someone sees the word felony they think the worst and I’m worried that my application would be screened out just because I disclosed my felony but it wasnt serious or violent offense.
You were a child! Just answer prompts truthfully and if you get rejected from med schools, it won't be due to your record.

You were a child! Just answer prompts truthfully and if you get rejected from med schools, it won't be due to your record.
Thanks @Goro for the reply! So you don’t think that I’d be screened out before they get a chance to look more in depth at my application ?

Not only was it a juvenile conviction (where the OP can truthfully answer "no, I have not been convicted of a crime" on AMCAS as per instructions), it was clearly a youthful indiscretion: graffiti. Maybe graffiti that cost the owner a thousand bucks to have painted over, but graffiti nonetheless - not robbery, not drug dealing, not assault. Shouldn't be a problem.