SDN's Caribbean Medical School Primer: Everything you need to know before you go

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
caribbean-250.jpg

The Student Doctor Network Caribbean Medical School Primer tells a personal account of a doctor’s journey through offshore medical school, gives first hand answers to questions, and provides information that is not freely expressed by websites and catalogs. Let this book help you make the right decision and be your step by step guide to realizing your dream: becoming a doctor.

“Dr. Yarbrough does a nice job consolidating just about all the information an overwhelmed, first-year medical student would need to know in a well-organized and easy to read handbook. It could also be worthwhile reading for a parent or spouse of a student in order to give them insight into what their family member is embarking on and investing in for the next four years.”

- Eunice Koh, M2- Ross University School of Medicine

“Dr. Yarbrough’s The Student Doctor Network Caribbean Medical School Primer is an excellent book and will be of great benefit to prospective medical students to Caribbean medical schools. This book does not only prepare students for living in the Caribbean and attending school in a foreign environment, it also highlights facts about the U.S. medical degree and practice in general.”

- Dr. Gina Letang

Softcover book, 5 x 8 inches, 104 pages, ISBN 0-9769689-8-3

Price: $15.95

Purchase your copy at: http://www.medrounds.org/bookstore/ProductDetail.php?product_id=118

Members don't see this ad.

Please fill free to leave questions you may have concerning the book, SDN's Caribbean Medschool Primer. I will answer any questions that you may have. Additionally, you can visit www.caribbeanmedprimer.com for further information.

Thanks again and Good Luck

Hello there!

I am a new member in desperate need of help.

i am have my doctorate in physical therapy (3.8 graduate gpa), i have worked for about 7 years and then decided to go back to school last year and earn my MD degree (because i want to challenge myself and be able to help patients more, i am limited with what i can do).

my grades are about 10 years old, 3.8 overall undergrad, 3.6 science (both undergrad and grad). i am at Penn's post-bac program special sciences (because i have all of my pre-reqs completed from undergrad) right now taking some upper level science classes to show that i can still perform well. problem is, i don't have 3 years to wait until i get accepted to medical school. i am currently 37, i have 1 more year left in Penn's program and another year studying/preparing for mcats. by the time i apply i won't be matriculating into a medical program for another 3-4 years. the reason why it's taking so long is because i have to work full time (in the rehab dept of a cancer treatment hospital) along with going to Penn at night and it's really hard.

i spoke to a few friends who are practicing physicians and they knew people who went to the caribb w/o taking the MCATS and w/o having a "committee letter" from their post bac programs. i have a friend who is a grad from ROSS and had no problems getting rotations or a residency here in philadelphia, pa.

what are the BEST caribbean schools in your opinion? which schools have the best usmle pass rate, rotations and residencies?

do you know of any that do not require mcats other than ross and st. george's?

and what is your opinion of AUA?

please help! thank you for taking the time to read this, i appreciate any help at all!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind me asking, why not just be happy as a doctor of physical therapy? That's a great career, and an essential part of the medical team. If you go back for an MD now, you won't be done with your training until you're 45. Not that that's bad, but why spend the 300K+ if you already have great credentials?

Just realized this thread is 2 years old...