SDN Pediatric Specialty Interests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrazyPeds527

Admitted Scrubs Addict
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought this might be a good place to take an SDN inventory of what specialties people are interested in pursuing & what specialities our fellows and attendings have entered. From general peds to cardiology to pulmonolgy, it would be nice to have a (stickied) central location for our members to look for when they are trying to find someone to ask regarding career advice. If all of our regular posters could contribute a one-liner to this thread, it would give a nice index for our occasional and regular visitors. Particularly from attendings (oldbear, ed, etc) who can provide insight into their own particular field.

For instance:

I am a categorical peds resident interested in cardiology and critical care medicine

And, if you are interested in a bunch...list them all! :)

Members don't see this ad.

For instance:

I am a categorical peds resident interested in cardiology and critical care medicine

Hi - we try to keep the number of stickies down to about 3 so people can find new threads easily, but, if this takes off, I'd be glad to add it as a sticky. We can also add it to the FAQ and retitle the FAQ thread to include something about member interests.

My interests are:

1. Neonatology
2. Malnutrition in children

Last edited:
I'm a peds EM fellow. My main area of interest is in international and travel medicine (especially infectious diseases and malnutrition/undernutrition in the developing world).

Members don't see this ad :)
My interests are:

1. Neonatology
2. Malnutrition in children

Ditto. I like critical care medicine in general. I anticipate that I will try to remain pretty (very) academic in my career.

I'm interested in plain old general pediatrics. I'd like to do something administrative eventually, though. But it'll be all well child checks and otitis media for me until then!! :D

pediatric resident

planning to do critical care medicine

interests: quality improvement, medical education

Pediatrics Resident (PGY1)

Got it narrowed down to: Peds EM, NICU, or hospitalist... (we'll see what I eventually choose)

Interests: right now just focused on getting through this year.

Pediatric attending currently doing general medicine in Iraq. Will be doing critical care starting in 2010.

Ed

Pedi Intern interested in Cardiology or NICU

I start a cardiology fellowship, officially as of Sep08 (I graduate residency late due to Hurricane Katrina).

I like critical care and have toyed with the idea of eventually seeking to double board.

Categorical intern.

I like a lot but I want to ultimately do GI.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
PICU fellow who worked as a hospitalist before starting fellowship (and occasionally moonlights at his old job).

but in the medical arena, I'm looking at general peds with an emphasis on taking care of children that start their lives in the NICU.

I've been looking into doing a NNP with an additional certification in Acute Chronic Pediatrics, and figure for about the same amount of time give a year or so difference, I might as well go towards medicine and have more autonomy and training to handle this special pediatric population.

PGY 2.

1) PICU
2) Health Services Research/Health Policy/Health system reform/Access to care

PGY-2 peds guy here.

Planning to apply Peds EM with next cycle. I also like the idea of some research in improving public health education and resources management, maybe see if we can get some of these runny noses out of the ED.:rolleyes:

A quick count gives us 19/22 involved in or primarily interested in fellowship training - that's a bit higher than the actual % of pedi residents who do a fellowship.;)

Perhaps some of you could encourage your colleagues in general pedi or interested in general pedi to participate in this forum. It would enhance things a good bit here!

Peds Heme/Onc, Peds Pulm, or Neonatology (or perhaps combined Neo/Pulm)

I haven't posted in a long while, but I'm a 3rd year peds resident.
I plan to work in general academic peds or as a peds hospitalist. I also have a strong interest in international pediatric medicine and public health!

Infectious Disease or maybe Renal. I used to think NICU like many of you, until I spent a month there.

I'm thinking Hem/Onc at the moment - in fact I rotate through it next month, so can anyone recommend a good reference? Would appreciate it - thanks!

I'm a 5th year (extended student), applying into Peds this year. I'm currently most interested in GI, but I'm keeping my options open. Not a popular choice on the forums here, though, huh?

I'm a 5th year (extended student), applying into Peds this year. I'm currently most interested in GI, but I'm keeping my options open. Not a popular choice on the forums here, though, huh?

I liked GI a lot, but just didn't hold a grip on me the way Neo does. However, it's definitely my (distant) second choice. After spending a significant amount of time in the NICU/High Risk area, I really love it.

Ob/Gyn is currently of greater interest to me but I'm also considering Peds. If I go that route, I'm very interested in Neonatology. I'm pretty guilty of fitting into Kelso's female specialty stereotype. :oops:

4th year student.

I'm interested in Peds Neuro, Peds Cards and Peds CC.

Having last minute jitters about going full force into radiology (which I had planned to follow with a fellowship in peds rads). :rolleyes:

The thought of giving up my stethoscope for good... is a little depressing. :(

General Peds here with an interest in global health.