SDN blowing mid-level encroachment out of proportion or is it real?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd be absolutely disgusted if this becomes the case.

Also why the hell are you helping this happen?
Well it's my job to be a good steward of my client. They pay me, and it's really the fault of doctors at the end of the day. Greed is what caused this APP situation. Lack of long term thinking got us to where we are today.

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
They pay me, and it's really the fault of doctors at the end of the day. Greed is what caused this APP situation.
yes I remember right after my cardiology unit, we had "how doctors write the law and control all hospital employment decisions"

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well it's my job to be a good steward of my client. They pay me, and it's really the fault of doctors at the end of the day. Greed is what caused this APP situation. Lack of long term thinking got us to where we are today.
How is it the doctors' fault when private equity and nonclinical administrators are running hospitals and practices?

Reactions: 4 users
Lol unabashedly scummy, at least you recognize that you're destroying medicine, or maybe that makes it all the worse.

Out of curiosity, are you a physician?

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
For those of you who are applying to residency programs soon, really try to pay attention to how institutions handle this. Encroachment can affect your training. The below post is breaking news, but if verified to be true is an example where you will be a resident being supervised by an NP. This program is otherwise a very great academic program too.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
For those of you who are applying to residency programs soon, really try to pay attention to how institutions handle this. Encroachment can affect your training. The below post is breaking news, but if verified to be true is an example where you will be a resident being supervised by an NP. This program is otherwise a very great academic program too.

I hate the US healthcare system that's ruined by dysfunctional capitalism

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

@Lem0nz @Steve_Zissou thoughts pls

So I'm one of those people that works with hospitals to advise them to shift primary care from physician to APP/APC. The threat is very very very real, health systems and constantly reaching out to the leaders of my firm to help organize care models that will allow them to maximize revenue in an ever changing reimbursement market. I wouldn't be shocked if in ~20 years primary care physicians largely only provide advisory roles for new doctors.
There’s a special place in hell for people like you

Reactions: 2 users
I mean, my thoughts on this are that it’s BS. I am not against midlevels existing, but being independent or supervising actually physicians? Completely against that.
Oh. I think we agree (although i'm blaming the existence of midlevels as a US-only thing, because midlevels really aren't common if they even exist in rest of the world)

I'm busy railing against capitalism lately since that's contributing to the rot of medicine

Oh. I think we agree (although i'm blaming the existence of midlevels as a US-only thing, because midlevels really aren't common if they even exist in rest of the world)

I'm busy railing against capitalism lately since that's contributing to the rot of medicine
I don't know if a socialized system would be any better though. If we replaced private system with government systems, there would still be administrators looking to cut costs by reducing the number of physicians and increasing the number of midlevels.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if a socialized system would be any better though. If we replaced private system with government systems, there would still be administrators looking to cut costs by reducing the number of physicians and increasing the number of midlevels.
I'm not sure because midlevels aren't a thing in socialized health systems in other countries. But i'll say midlevels are going to rapidly saturate their job market before transition to socialized system happens.

Hot take - if I was the patient I'd rather have my code run by an experienced NP than a brand new resident. Knowing what receptor subtype the epinephrine binds to isnt what will save my life.

• Okay...
Hot take - if I was the patient I'd rather have my code run by an experienced NP than a brand new resident. Knowing what receptor subtype the epinephrine binds to isnt what will save my life.
That's a false dichotomy though. The answer is, there should be an experienced attending available for this.

Reactions: 10 users
What why? Why not let a senior resident or attending take care of it?

Also interns >>>>> midlevels.

I'm not sure because midlevels aren't a thing in socialized health systems in other countries. But i'll say midlevels are going to rapidly saturate their job market before transition to socialized system happens.
This is what I found with a quick google search "The countries in which NPs exist as a profession were Australia, Canada, Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand, the four nations of the UK and the U.S. The eight countries have in common that extensive task shifting has occurred in the past, leading to considerably advanced clinical nursing practice for NPs."

Let's not degrade our own education. Adcoms will be complete idiots if they're screening out 60% of premeds if 4 years of med school are actually inferior to midlevel education

This is what I found with a quick google search "The countries in which NPs exist as a profession were Australia, Canada, Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand, the four nations of the UK and the U.S. The eight countries have in common that extensive task shifting has occurred in the past, leading to considerably advanced clinical nursing practice for NPs."
Hm, i was mistaken since i saw Canada, Australia and Israel having midlevels. I'm not sure if this is because they were inspired by US model or because of cost cutting measures.

In the ED I used to work at we called the PAs/NPs midlevels. When I transitioned to working in a private practice, I was in a conversation with a NP referencing midlevels and she corrected me that it was a derogatory word, then sent me this via a text:

Such an awful article. The NPs at my kids’ pediatrician’s office have been wonderful when it comes to routine things like looking at a diaper rash and prescribing the appropriate ointment. But when I brought in my very sick toddler, one of the same NPs thought she was fine and wanted to send her home. At that point I insisted on seeing a physician, and the one who saw her took one look at her and sent us straight to the ED.

Midlevels play an undoubtedly important role in healthcare, but let’s call them what they are.

yes I remember right after my cardiology unit, we had "how doctors write the law and control all hospital employment decisions"

Doctors should be much better educated about the business aspects of healthcare...they are one of few professions that don't get a basic understanding of how organizations they generate all the revenue for are making money of them. The doctors who do figure this out get fantastically rich.

• Dislike
There’s a special place in hell for people like you

My surgery resident wife would disagree but thanks. Instead of being mad, annoyed wouldn't it be better to educate yourself on how you can make sure you don't fall victim to these issues?

Last edited:
  • Okay...
Lol unabashedly scummy, at least you recognize that you're destroying medicine, or maybe that makes it all the worse.

Out of curiosity, are you a physician?
My wife is surgery resident. I'm not destroying medicine, medicine has already been destroyed doctors who decided they wanted to work 15 hour weeks ruined it for every doctor that came behind them. They are the reason that productivity numbers are crazy that every little thing is tracked. Doctors who didn't understand the value of lobbying against their fellow colleagues to stop the encroachment of midlevels because it allowed them to see more patients but not have to be there are the ones people should be mad at. Greed caused a lot of the issues we see now in healthcare, I'm not saying that this extremely fast shift to midlevel is fair but it's what's going to happen. What's best is for other doctors to see what's happening and make sure they don't take it laying down when their own specialties are encroached on.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
My wife is surgery resident. I'm not destroying medicine, medicine has already been destroyed doctors who decided they wanted to work 15 hour weeks ruined it for every doctor that came behind them. They are the reason that productivity numbers are crazy that every little thing is tracked. Doctors who didn't understand the value of lobbying against their fellow colleagues to stop the encroachment of midlevels because it allowed them to see more patients but not have to be there are the ones people should be mad at. Greed caused a lot of the issues we see now in healthcare, I'm not saying that this extremely fast shift to midlevel is fair but it's what's going to happen. What's best is for other doctors to see what's happening and make sure they don't take it laying down when their own specialties are encroached on.
"Medicine is already on fire so what's it matter if I pour some gasoline on it"

Reactions: 10 users
My wife is sub specialized surgeon. I'm not destroying medicine, medicine has already been destroyed doctors who decided they wanted to work 15 hour weeks ruined it for every doctor that came behind them. They are the reason that productivity numbers are crazy that every little thing is tracked. Doctors who didn't understand the value of lobbying against their fellow colleagues to stop the encroachment of midlevels because it allowed them to see more patients but not have to be there are the ones people should be mad at. Greed caused a lot of the issues we see now in healthcare, I'm not saying that this extremely fast shift to midlevel is fair but it's what's going to happen. What's best is for other doctors to see what's happening and make sure they don't take it laying down when their own specialties are encroached on.
"Por que no los dos?" gif

I mean, I agree with you for the most part. You aren't destroying medicine, but the work you do speeds it up.

I have a feeling that my generation is going to be much more vocal about these issues.

I would not burn this guy at the cross fam. At all. This is the person you should all be asking questions to, not attacking. I would want to understand his job in and out - the why, the how, how much he's getting paid, who's paying him, who the stakeholders are in his hospital administrations that he's interfacing with... the works. This right here is a god damn unicorn if he's willing to teach us about that. You cannot even begin to fight back if you do not have a thorough understanding of the why or how or who. Most people upset at midlevels and the job market don't even know who is standing in the room when those decisions are made. It gets labeled "some MBA" or "admin" and stops there.

He's just doing his job. His job is to make medicine more efficient. You may not like it, or agree with it, but that's his job and to some people that is what's right for the patient. Remember, if your hospital goes bankrupt because someone didn't take the time to figure out how to make it run in the black, it screws everyone. Look at Hahnemann. I'm not saying Hahnemann was not massive corporate greed that put the nails in its coffin in those last two years (it was), but it was preceded by two decades of people, including doctors, who didn't know how to bill and document appropriately and the hospital ran into the ground and put it in a position where it could be bought by a guy who could gut it for space and sell it. You know who got hurt the most? The low income residents of Philadelphia that don't have that critical access hospital anymore. The patients. They got hurt the most. The doctors and residents also got royally hosed. Food for thought.

• Okay...
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
I would not burn this guy at the cross fam. At all. This is the person you should all be asking questions to, not attacking. I would want to understand his job in and out - the why, the how, how much he's getting paid, who's paying him, who the stakeholders are in his hospital administrations that he's interfacing with... the works. This right here is a god damn unicorn if he's willing to teach us about that. You cannot even begin to fight back if you do not have a thorough understanding of the why or how or who. Most people upset at midlevels and the job market don't even know who is standing in the room when those decisions are made. It gets labeled "some MBA" or "admin" and stops there.

He's just doing his job. His job is to make medicine more efficient. You may not like it, or agree with it, but that's his job and to some people that is what's right for the patient. Remember, if your hospital goes bankrupt because someone didn't take the time to figure out how to make it run in the black, it screws everyone. Look at Hahnemann. I'm not saying Hahnemann was not massive corporate greed that put the nails in its coffin in those last two years (it was), but it was preceded by two decades of people, including doctors, who didn't know how to bill and document appropriately and the hospital ran into the ground and put it in a position where it could be bought by a guy who could gut it for space and sell it. You know who got hurt the most? The low income residents of Philadelphia that don't have that critical access hospital anymore. The patients. They got hurt the most. The doctors and residents also got royally hosed. Food for thought.
Just doing his job? That's the excuse you're going with?

@Lawpy

So, talked with my friend who's a surgery crit care attending. The story is completely true. Some context is that their medicine residency is fairly weak, and they suffer from a problem that is not uncommon in some IM residencies which is that residents who aren't interested in critical care (which is most of them) just do the absolute minimum to get by and don't want to participate unless they have to. The sort of IMs who actively avoid doing procedures. In that vacuum, Rutger's has a fellowship for NPs who have already completed NP school and want dedicated critical care training and I believe it is their preceptors who are the person running the codes when a critical care attending is not available (so this is mostly occurring at nights/weekends). His experience is that when there is a code and a MICU attending is present, the MICU attending runs the code and the IM residents generally don't really attempt to have any autonomy and just scribe while the MICU attending does it.

I'm not really going to comment on how their IM residency is run, but that's the background. I will comment and say that what my friend is describing is a phenomenon we saw frequently in our own five years of general surgery residency at my community hospital. The residents who wanted to go into cards or GI or heme/onc really checked out, even as early as intern year, and didn't want that responsibility and did a subpar job at it. That was honestly probably about half of them. The other half were stellar AF and I'd trust them to be my doctors. But that checked out/absolute minimum mentality is why they put the critical care APNs in charge when a MICU attending is unavailable.

Agree with efle. Would 1000% rather have an experienced NP who is studying critical care run my code over an intern+PGY2/3 combo where the intern doesn't have experience and a good teacher and the PGY2/3 doesn't give a crap.

The not so glamorous side of medical training, unfortunately. And please don't read into my post too much - this happens in every residency. Not taking shots at IM. Half of surgical residents who are on vascular but don't want to do vascular demonstrate this same sort of attitude. So... yea. Gotta confront our own demons I suppose.

• Love
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
"Medicine is already on fire so what's it matter if I pour some gasoline on it"

This is a weird take. I don't know what type of physician you are but if you are a private practice physician and you have ownership in an ASC or hospital someone like myself likely helped create that structure. If you are an employed physician at a major health system someone like myself likely modeled out the compensation structure to ensure the most projective providers get rewarded.

Yes medicine is broken but if you are just a provider in the wheel of healthcare you and I are no different. Your role is more impactful to direct patient care, but you can't care for patients if your hospital has no money.

• Okay...
Just doing his job? That's the excuse you're going with?
I'm not going to call it an excuse, I'm going to call it sound reasoning, but yes. He's not any more or less demonic than any other consultant who is hired to cut costs and make a business more profitable. Healthcare is a business. Burying our heads in the sand and pretending it isn't is how a handful of greedy boomer doctors did exactly what you're all accusing them of doing while everyone else sat back and said life is good. And now here we are.

I'm not going to call it an excuse, I'm going to call it sound reasoning, but yes. He's not any more or less demonic than any other consultant who is hired to cut costs and make a business more profitable. Healthcare is a business. Burying our heads in the sand and pretending it isn't is how a handful of greedy boomer doctors did exactly what you're all accusing them of doing while everyone else sat back and said life is good. And now here we are.
False dichotomy. Boomer docs and consultants like this can both suck.

• Love
This is a weird take. I don't know what type of physician you are but if you are a private practice physician and you have ownership in an ASC or hospital someone like myself likely helped create that structure. If you are an employed physician at a major health system someone like myself likely modeled out the compensation structure to ensure the most projective providers get rewarded.

Yes medicine is broken but if you are just a provider in the wheel of healthcare you and I are no different. Your role is more impactful to direct patient care, but you can't care for patients if your hospital has no money.
For several years I did DPC so no, no one like you was involved whatsoever.

@Lawpy

So, talked with my friend who's a surgery crit care attending. The story is completely true. Some context is that their medicine residency is fairly weak, and they suffer from a problem that is not uncommon in some IM residencies which is that residents who aren't interested in critical care (which is most of them) just do the absolute minimum to get by and don't want to participate unless they have to. The sort of IMs who actively avoid doing procedures. In that vacuum, Rutger's has a fellowship for NPs who have already completed NP school and want dedicated critical care training and I believe it is their preceptors who are the person running the codes when a critical care attending is not available (so this is mostly occurring at nights/weekends). His experience is that when there is a code and a MICU attending is present, the MICU attending runs the code and the IM residents generally don't really attempt to have any autonomy and just scribe while the MICU attending does it.

I'm not really going to comment on how their IM residency is run, but that's the background. I will comment and say that what my friend is describing is a phenomenon we saw frequently in our own five years of general surgery residency at my community hospital. The residents who wanted to go into cards or GI or heme/onc really checked out, even as early as intern year, and didn't want that responsibility and did a subpar job at it. That was honestly probably about half of them. The other half were stellar AF and I'd trust them to be my doctors. But that checked out/absolute minimum mentality is why they put the critical care APNs in charge when a MICU attending is unavailable.

Agree with efle. Would 1000% rather have an experienced NP who is studying critical care run my code over an intern+PGY2/3 combo where the intern doesn't have experience and a good teacher and the PGY2/3 doesn't give a crap.

The not so glamorous side of medical training, unfortunately. And please don't read into my post too much - this happens in every residency. Not taking shots at IM. Half of surgical residents who are on vascular but don't want to do vascular demonstrate this same sort of attitude. So... yea. Gotta confront our own demons I suppose.
Thanks for the detailed insight. Really appreciate this even though it made me more jaded than before

@Lawpy

The not so glamorous side of medical training, unfortunately. And please don't read into my post too much - this happens in every residency. Not taking shots at IM. Half of surgical residents who are on vascular but don't want to do vascular demonstrate this same sort of attitude. So... yea. Gotta confront our own demons I sup

It's really unfortunate that this is the case. Residents need to be forged in fire to develop the independence needed to practice. This is a step in the opposite direction. Not trying to shoot the messenger, but your friend is taking the path of least resistance by supporting such measures and future internists will be worse off for it.

It's really unfortunate that this is the case. Residents need to be forged in fire to develop the independence needed to practice. This is a step in the opposite direction. Not trying to shoot the messenger, but your friend is taking the path of least resistance by supporting such measures and future internists will be worse off for it.
My friend is surgical critical care, not medical. Those departments don't overlap at all in larger hospital systems with IM and surgery residencies. This is not the case for his department, it is specific to the IM department.

This is probably the conversation we should be having though. This is how midlevels start to take over one piece at a time. We as physicians say we don't want to do that job. Residency is not spared. Some of us are always going to be totally 100% invested and they'll deal with whatever card gets thrown at them, but some won't. If half of your residency is only going to be a warm body and not take it seriously and learn the medicine to be a safe doctor taking care of a dying/coding patient, yea. You're going to get replaced. =\

For all the hate the consultant is getting, he's right. We did this to ourselves by lobbying for strict residency spot limits and by limiting the ability of physicians trained elsewhere to have shorter courses of training to practice in the United States. By limiting our competition, we created scarcity and made our services more valuable, but where there is scarcity others see an opportunity to create a new niche, and so midlevels were born and they have flooded the market to bursting in some fields and areas. If there were enough physicians to begin with, that niche never would have been born. Had there been no physicians willing to train them, their professions would never have taken root. And yet here we stand, sold out by those that came before us, who enriched themselves at the cost of the future of their own profession and the health of this nation

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
For all the hate the consultant is getting, he's right. We did this to ourselves by lobbying for strict residency spot limits and by limiting the ability of physicians trained elsewhere to have shorter courses of training to practice in the United States. By limiting our competition, we created scarcity and made our services more valuable, but where there is scarcity others see an opportunity to create a new niche, and so midlevels were born and they have flooded the market to bursting in some fields and areas. If there were enough physicians to begin with, that niche never would have been born. Had there been no physicians willing to train them, their professions would never have taken root. And yet here we stand, sold out by those that came before us, who enriched themselves at the cost of the future of their own profession and the health of this nation
Also private equity bad

I think this problem is fundamentally linked to the selfishness of the individual, which later deteriorated to the arrogant laziness that some residents are displaying.

Well the professions themselves did it to themselves too. I mean gas and EM set themselves up to be shift workers and interchangeable cogs - and are getting replaced by cheaper cogs.

@managedcarefin

Extremely anecdotally, I'd heard that the value based/managed care orgs like Kaiser and Geisinger had been pushing to use midlevels in subspecialty roles while pushing for physicians as generalists like primary care/hospitalists because the physicians were more efficient at seeing large amounts of undifferentiated or varied patients while many of the simpler subspecialty workups and consults could be done routinely by NPs/PAs for much cheaper. Is there any truth to this in your experience?

• Hmm
On the podiatry side of things, I haven't met an NP in Pod. Then again, most people don't want to work with feet / hate it. Plus, the breadth of foot and ankle surgery is vast that it would be hard to infiltrate from an NP / PA standpoint. Could they do soft tissue work? probably. But the biomechanic and the surgery will be difficult to do without supervision.

On the podiatry side of things, I haven't met an NP in Pod. Then again, most people don't want to work with feet / hate it. Plus, the breadth of foot and ankle surgery is vast that it would be hard to infiltrate from an NP / PA standpoint. Could they do soft tissue work? probably. But the biomechanic and the surgery will be difficult to do without supervision.
Anecdotally, our 2 ortho foot/ankle guys don't use PAs at all while lots of the other orthos do.

I see a lot of hate and angst on the residency Reddit about stuff like this but this should put it in perspective: the ABIM no longer requires procedures to graduate (and hasn't since 2006 from my quick search). You simply have to 'know, understand, explain' them. They recommend five of each of the normal ICU type procedures but in my residency 1 out of 5 internal medicine residents actually wanted to get certified to do it independently (5-10 lines). This led to surgery getting absolutely dunked on to do every central line in the hospital, to the point where we were running up like 50-75 a year or some stupid high number. We completely rebelled because there is a point where bedside procedures become scut and service and not educational (FYI that point is around 50. 50 total. Not 50-75 per year). CRNAs were the next employed staff and it fell to them because not only can they do it safely, well, and consistently, but now they get to bill for it too. 'Everybody wins'. Because medicine didn't want to do central lines anymore.

I'm 99.9% sure this is what is happening at Rutgers because my buddy said that the APNs have been gradually taking over everything because medicine residents simply don't want to do it.

This is why we can't have nice things. =\

• Okay...

Obligatory “the Nazis were just doing their jobs too” post.

Anecdotally, our 2 ortho foot/ankle guys don't use PAs at all while lots of the other orthos do.

From my field, I don't see them being an issue cause its very procedural / surgically oriented or whatever you make of it. Some of the wound / limb salvage, bony reconstructions we do are really difficult if you didn't have the proper training and a strong understand of biomechanics.

And anyone who's ever taken a gross anatomy course or been in an operating room / open someone up, they'll realized quickly that "normal" don't always look normal. So I think PA / NPs would be nuts to dabble in the procedural / surgical world independently.