SCREWED!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bossman1818

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I posted a prior topic about applying to Irish medical students as a recent high school grad! I have since decided I will be applying to all three medical schools, UCD, TCD, and RCSI. Now my question, I have a 90% average out of high school, but for some reason, I am finding post secondary quite difficult, I am only pulling high 70's to low 80's. That works out to be a gpa of 3.3 - 3.5, and I am HOPING I can keep it even there. I was wondering, are these marks going to SCREW (hense the title of the topic) me out of being competitive when I apply. Again to clarify, I will be applying to the six year programs through the Atlantic Bridge program, with RCSI being my first choice. They think that I am still very competitive, what do you think? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

whoops, meant, applying to Irish medical schools! :cool:

You're fine, I think. 3.3 - 3.5 out of high school is alright. Remember, the IRish schools REALLY REALLY WANT Americans and Canadians because they get more money out of us. Don't freak out, just apply, and I'm sure you'll get into one of the three. They're all decent. You're going to have SO much fun :). I have friends at all three! I even have Australian and New Zealand friends at Trinity who're there because they couldn't get accepted into their schools of choice down under.

So, you're in college now? but want to "start over" in Ireland? why? in interviews, they might ask about your grades now. Most likely, the subjects you're having trouble with now as a premed might be the kinds of subjects they have in Ireland...you might want to consider getting supplemental help so you can understand it better when you go over. Their standards are no easier than ours.

Hello, and thanx for replying...

Just for a little clarification, my marks out of high school was 90%, converting to the for point scale, in Canada anyways, that would be a 4.0. The 3.3 - 3.5 is what I currently have in university. To be honest, I don't find the courses difficult, actually, I am basically in the top five in all my classes. I think I am experiencing what most first year college students experience, the difficulty in transfering from high school to college. I am sure I can bring my marks up, probably even to a 3.6 - 3.7, maybe, but I just wanted to know that if I cannot out of this 'hole' I am currently in, and end up with a 3.3 or so, will that effect my application. I, personally, don't think so, because as I said again, that 4.0 out of high school really helps.

Thanx again for replying!