Screw AACOMAS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhereMyLiberalsAt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
BS grade change

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
YOU did not let anybody down.

It sounds like you are doing exactly the right things, and that furthermore, you've found an amazing life partner. Those are two very strong positives in your corner. Add in your response to adversity and you've got three big plusses in your corner.

I'm betting on you --

Reactions: 9 users
After finding out the news last night that AACOMAS will be changing their grading policy, I literally broke down in tears. During the 2012/2013 academic year I went through a divorce that was devastating to me! I was taking Bio and Gen Chem, and failed these classes two semesters in a row. I put a hold on school, and life went on. I got remarried to an amazing women who fully supported me on quieting my high paying job, and pursue my career in medicine. I obtained A's in all of my retakes, and continued to excel in upper-division classes. It wasn't a upward trend it was a completely new life! I have also obtained amazing EC's (easily have volunteered 1000+ hours in the last two years. my wife, and I live for volunteering.) I worked at redoing my grades hoping an MD school would look kindly on my reinvention. Then I found out about grade replacement. I LOVED the idea of reinvention with DO schools. It was symbolic of my life! I found it representative on how life has treated me, and I was honored to be given a chance to prove myself.....

I was crying like a little baby last night when I told my wife that I had let her down. I had felt like all of the hard work SHE put into me was a waste! When she hugged me, and told me she was proud of me, will be a moment I will never forget! After an hour of just sitting there holding each other I was at complete ease! No way in HELL was some stupid organization going to dictate my future. I had Competed against the brightest kids in my school! Scoring in the 90th percentile on the orgo ACS finals.... Publishing a paper within 4 months of research. I have not pushed myself this far, and sacrificed this much to beg LUCOM to take me!!!

I have obtained UW's in all my failed classes, and will petition them to be changed to official W's.... This will raise my my sGPA to 3.2 as it stands. I will continue to kill my science classes (like I always have,) and finish my senior year at a 3.5 sGPA. I will then apply to SMP programs linked to MD programs. I am not completely immature in my writing off of DO programs. I will apply this spring, and see how the established schools approach the policy, but I am not going to beg to be amongst students that were in the middle of my class.

To the IDIOTS that think this policy change is the "move in the right direction"....... Really the one thing that the DO "boss man" could change to increase the communities image of DO schools, and he picked grade replacement!!! F'ing grade replacement!!!!!! NOT RESEARCH, NOT CLINICAL EDUCATION, NOT OMM QUACKERY!!!!! BUT F'ING GRADE REPLACEMENT!!!! slow clap to that ****!

My life has always been the long way round... So why should medicine be any different! Like M. Scott Peck said "One measure - and perhaps the best measure - of a person's greatness in the capacity for suffering."

I can't believe how lucky I am to find out this information the week before my MCAT prep. I have always excelled when my back was against the wall, or when I had to prove myself. A DO bar of 505 did not push me to my true capabilities. During Christmas break I did a diagnostic test and scored 508 without practice... I was about to spend the next four months pissing my potential away! Now I can push myself to the extreme! If anything I'm blessed for this challenge of personal growth!
Please direct your anger in a well written email to AACOMAS.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should have never "settled" on a 505 as the bar. Your bar should always be 100%.

I agree that clinical education should have been looked at primarily as well.

I scored within the top of my class for the last 3 years (graduated summa cum laude too)as well but in no way do I consider anyone I sit next to in medical school inferior to me. If they did what was necessary to have a seat in medical school whether MD or DO then they earned it, period. That type of attitude will make you lose friends and connections real quick. Frankly as someone who is older and a bit more experienced I'm surprised you think that way.

Either way keep pushing forward and keep your head up. Hopefully this won't be as bad as it seems prima facie.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
stay-tuned. Verb. (idiomatic) To remain as a listener or viewer of the particular radio station or television channel to which one is currently paying attention. (idiomatic, by extension, often as imperative) To wait or remain alert (for new developments or for further information).

I'll be posting something relevant to your (and others') dilemma later.

"Stay tuned".

err, whats this supposed to mean? Possible backtracking? I doubt it, seems set in stone.

Reactions: 6 users
This is all so exciting!

Reactions: 2 users
I understand the purpose of this post. Sometimes, you need to share your journey. I'm not gonna going to respond with indifference.

You obviously have a strong work ethic and it seems your heart is in the right place. Continue to strive for 100%, do an SMP if you have to. Apply to MD and DO schools. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: 3 users
I understand the frustrations here but please, keep the conversation civil and professional. There are venting threads in the social forum if you'd like to have a "free for all".

Reactions: 4 users
To the IDIOTS that think this policy change is the "move in the right direction"....... Really the one thing that the DO "boss man" could change to increase the communities image of DO schools, and he picked grade replacement!!! F'ing grade replacement!!!!!! NOT RESEARCH, NOT CLINICAL EDUCATION, NOT OMM QUACKERY!!!!! BUT F'ING GRADE REPLACEMENT!!!! slow clap to that ****!

THIS!

@WhereMyLiberalsAt keep on keeping on, I am rooting for you.

OP, keep working hard.

I'm hoping schools will be understanding and see the improvement and hard work.

This entire path requires hard work. Let this be another obstacle you overcome and learn from.

After finding out the news last night that AACOMAS will be changing their grading policy, I literally broke down in tears. During the 2012/2013 academic year I went through a divorce that was devastating to me! I was taking Bio and Gen Chem, and failed these classes two semesters in a row. I put a hold on school, and life went on. I got remarried to an amazing women who fully supported me on quieting my high paying job, and pursue my career in medicine. I obtained A's in all of my retakes, and continued to excel in upper-division classes. It wasn't a upward trend it was a completely new life! I have also obtained amazing EC's (easily have volunteered 1000+ hours in the last two years. my wife, and I live for volunteering.) I worked at redoing my grades hoping an MD school would look kindly on my reinvention. Then I found out about grade replacement. I LOVED the idea of reinvention with DO schools. It was symbolic of my life! I found it representative on how life has treated me, and I was honored to be given a chance to prove myself.....

I was crying like a little baby last night when I told my wife that I had let her down. I had felt like all of the hard work SHE put into me was a waste! When she hugged me, and told me she was proud of me, will be a moment I will never forget! After an hour of just sitting there holding each other I was at complete ease! No way in HELL was some stupid organization going to dictate my future. I had Competed against the brightest kids in my school! Scoring in the 90th percentile on the orgo ACS finals.... Publishing a paper within 4 months of research. I have not pushed myself this far, and sacrificed this much to beg LUCOM to take me!!!

I have obtained UW's in all my failed classes, and will petition them to be changed to official W's.... This will raise my my sGPA to 3.2 as it stands. I will continue to kill my science classes (like I always have,) and finish my senior year at a 3.5 sGPA. I will then apply to SMP programs linked to MD programs. I am not completely immature in my writing off of DO programs. I will apply this spring, and see how the established schools approach the policy, but I am not going to beg to be amongst students that were in the middle of my class.

My life has always been the long way round... So why should medicine be any different! Like M. Scott Peck said "One measure - and perhaps the best measure - of a person's greatness in the capacity for suffering."

I can't believe how lucky I am to find out this information the week before my MCAT prep. I have always excelled when my back was against the wall, or when I had to prove myself. A DO bar of 505 did not push me to my true capabilities. During Christmas break I did a diagnostic test and scored 508 without practice... I was about to spend the next four months pissing my potential away! Now I can push myself to the extreme! If anything I'm blessed for this challenge of personal growth!
You'll probably be fine. Chill out- many schools reward upward trends. We had one guy here who had a cGPA of 2.8 that garnered an MD acceptance because he knocked his SMP out of the park and had an extremely strong upward trend. Just do your best, apply broadly, and chill out. You're gonna make it, but not with the defeatist attitude you were displaying in the OP.

Where academia, and the real world part ways! In my old job if I was in the top 10% of the company and someone at the 50% got paid the same as me there would be issues.... The fact that you think governing bodies ultimately make correct decisions is wrong. Sometimes you are literally less qualified than the person next to you.... That's just a fact! People are literally inferior or superior than you. That's life, and a governing body can't equalize that.

While you are correct your initial statement implied that everyone who goes to a DO school is simply "middle of the pack" and inferior to you. I can guarantee you that even if you go to an MD school there WILL be a DO student who is superior to you...so to make that generalization is childish. 2 days ago you were just fine applying DO but now after this policy change and your "breakdown" you have had this epiphany that you are somehow better than you were 24 hours ago ? The fact that you set the bar low for yourself is something YOU did and you shouldn't "settle" regardless of the circumstances( I.e. Aiming for a 505) You should know better than that.

I just felt like calling you out because you decided to vent your frustration on this policy change (and rightfully so) in a rather childish manner.

Whatever you decide I wish you luck because you have put forth a lot of effort in achieving your goals. Don't let this change distract you from the end goal. You can do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
While you are correct your initial statement implied that everyone who goes to a DO school is simply "middle of the pack" and inferior to you. I can guarantee you that even if you go to an MD school there WILL be a DO student who is superior to you...so to make that generalization is childish. 2 days ago you were just fine applying DO but now after this policy change and your "breakdown" you have had this epiphany that you are somehow better than you were 24 hours ago ? The fact that you set the bar low for yourself is something YOU did and you shouldn't "settle" regardless of the circumstances( I.e. Aiming for a 505) You should know better than that.

I just felt like calling you out because you decided to vent your frustration on this policy change (and rightfully so) in a rather childish manner.

Whatever you decide I wish you luck because you have put forth a lot of effort in achieving your goals. Don't let this change distract you from the end goal. You can do it!

I mentioned a specific DO school... A very specific DO school!

I am not going to beg to be amongst students that were in the middle of my class.

I saw where you said a specific school. And I agree because I didn't even submit a primary there either. But this is what I was referring to actually. Regardless I wish you luck and hope you end up somewhere you enjoy.

I saw where you said a specific school. And I agree because I didn't even submit a primary there either. But this is what I was referring to actually. Regardless I wish you luck and hope you end up somewhere you enjoy.

HAHA! You didn't even submit a primary there! Trust me your actions speak louder than my words... So whatever. Thanks for your wishes, and good luck in your career.

Reactions: 1 users
@HMtoDO

I don't see how WhereMyLiberalsAt post was childish. To me, his post was very passionate, frustrated, and hopeful. You don't know his story or what circumstances he had to overcome. His first post in this thread is just a little snit bnit of his journey.

HAHA! You didn't even submit a primary there! Trust me your actions speak louder than my words... So whatever. Thanks for your wishes, and good luck in your career.

No I didn't because I didn't submit an application to somewhere I wasn't willing to attend. I won't settle and neither should you.

@HMtoDO

I don't see how WhereMyLiberalsAt post was childish. To me, his post was very passionate, frustrated, and hopeful. You don't know his story or what circumstances he had to overcome. His first post in this thread is just a little snit bnit of his journey.

I think most of it was passion driven but the comment I quoted above in his context came off very pretentious, and I called him out. No one knows each other's stories but that's the beauty of an anonymous forum right?

Edit: all I was trying to convey is his attitude about being amongst students in the middle of the class is elitist ( and hypocritical considering before the policy change he was just fine with it). I will be in class with students who I outperformed in college, it doesn't mean that they won't outperform me in medical school.

So wait, did I miss something here? Grade replacement is no longer a thing? Is it the same thing as MD schools where the two grades are averaged? When does this change take effect?? @Goro

So wait, did I miss something here? Grade replacement is no longer a thing? Is it the same thing as MD schools where the two grades are averaged? When does this change take effect?? @Goro

Yes and it applies this coming cycle may 1. Applicants from this current cycle who reapply next cycle will have their gpa's adjusted accordingly.

Here's a machiavellian view... If you are a DO student or graduate, you should be very pleased that grade replacement is going away, and perhaps there will be a few more barriers to entry in regard to getting a DO degree. With the COCA literally opening new DO schools on every corner, you do not want to see the value of your degree get diluted by sheer numbers. Yes OP, as a potential DO student, taking away grade replacement does suck, particularly with no warning. But for those people who already hold, or are getting DO degrees, you should be happy since new DO school matriculants may be of higher quality.

Reactions: 9 users
Screw the humble pie. You should always think that you are better than that person next to you and put in the extra hours to outgrind that person to the ultimate goal. I'm all for teamwork, but I would never settle for what I feel I should deserve based on my actual ability regardless of the circumstances because that is a defeatist attitude. When you start accepting that the guy next to you is more gifted than you, you start settling for things that you end up regretting later in life.

There is nothing defeatist acknowledging that someone else put in effort to get where they are too. Are you the top scorer in ALL of your med school classes right now @68PGunner ? If not it's pretty dumb to not realize that right now,at this very moment, someone is more gifted than you in your class.

You can have all the mindset in the world that you're better but unless you're the number 1 scorer right now, you're simply not.

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
There is nothing defeatist acknowledging that someone else put in effort to get where they are too. Are you the top scorer in ALL of your med school classes right now @68PGunner ? If not it's pretty dumb to not realize that right now,at this very moment, someone is more gifted than you in your class.

You can have all the mindset in the world that you're better but unless your the number 1 scorer right now, you're simply not.

You will never get to the top without believing it first.

If someone is better than me with me giving 150% day in and day out, I will then acknowledge that person and give them major respect. Otherwise, it is just me not doing enough.

Hard work will be rewarded in the end. However, you won't reach that level of intensity as a normal routine if you don't believe in yourself first.

Lol. I'd rather believe that I CAN be better than what I am doing instead of saying I AM better and "I just had a bad test or something that's why I scored only the average and not at the top"

Belief in what you can be leads to motivation while belief that you ARE already something without backing it has a major tendency to lead to excuses.

You can have all the mindset in the world that you're better but unless you're the number 1 scorer right now, you're simply not.

Edit: grammar

Not at the top but with an upward curve while people are slowing down and accepting their fates. I started out as average. It takes a while to get into a groove but I think I finally found my routine.

If someone is better than me with me giving 150% day in and day out, I will then acknowledge that person and give them major respect. Otherwise, it is just me not doing enough.

Hard work will be rewarded in the end. However, you won't reach that level of intensity as a normal routine if you don't believe in yourself first.

You must have added the last part while I was typing haha. That's exactly what I was just saying in my last post!

Lol. I'd rather believe that I CAN be better than what I am doing instead of saying I AM better and "I just had a bad test or something that's why I scored only the average and not at the top"

Belief in what you can be leads to motivation while belief that you ARE already something without backing it has a major tendency to lead to excuses.

It is all about how you internalize your obstacles. For me, it is I am better but I just did something wrong. Self reflection and then fix the problems.

It is all about how you internalize your obstacles. For me, it is I am better but I just did something wrong. Self reflection and then fix the problems.

Exactly. Most military people have that mindset myself included. I've met quite a bit of slackers and excuse makers once I left though and thats just my experience. The Marine grunts don't really instill that type of personality in you if ya know what I mean.

You sound like a whiny entitled tool, chill

Reactions: 7 users

To the IDIOTS that think this policy change is the "move in the right direction"....... Really the one thing that the DO "boss man" could change to increase the communities image of DO schools, and he picked grade replacement!!! F'ing grade replacement!!!!!! NOT RESEARCH, NOT CLINICAL EDUCATION, NOT OMM QUACKERY!!!!!

You had me until OMM quackery. OMM is very useful for some things, especially back pain. I speak from personal experience

You know I never have had grade replacement but I have to be honest, this actually aggravates me to the max. I was speaking to my brother about this and his reaction was "Oh great dude! Now peoples GPA will decrease and you will stay the same! So this is good for people who don't grade replace". While this is true, this is also extremely infuriating for someone who wants to go into this industry. You are essentially pulling the rug out of people who might have undergone a depression, family member loss, etc. And now people who may have spent years trying to fix their GPA's will no longer have this opportunity. This is beyond insulting, who thought this was a good idea, especially doing it out of the blue? What about the people who waited and took time to try to fix their grades? Was the money and time just a complete waste? Are their improvements no longer important? IMHO, this is a terrible choice, and I do hope they don't go through with this.

Reactions: 5 users
Getting rid of grade replacement isn't only a great idea, it's the right thing to do. The students who have worked their tails off throughout undergrad deserve to stand out from those who did not. All of us have had trials (many worse than OP's) and have worked through them to get good grades. Stuff happens. It will also happen in medical school. Are you going to fail classes when a trial comes your way then? This mentality of 'deserving' grade replacement and "fussing" when it isn't an option anymore is ridiculous. It ties back to our generation believing that "everybody should get a trophy." That is straight bull. Giving the loser a trophy only teaches them that losing is okay. Why try if everyone gets a reward? Why push through a struggle if I can just cover it up later? I believe that people can change, but that is what an upward trend and a great explanation in a secondary is for. Keep in mind that with or without grade replacement, your competition will stay the same. Your ranking among the competition will be the only difference (many of which will also drop in GPA as well). So take a deep breathe, sit down, and start prepping a good explanation paragraph. I have no doubt you'd get into a good DO school with that GPA, but don't start badmouthing Osteopathic medicine just because you didn't get it your way.

Peace.

Getting rid of grade replacement isn't only a great idea, it's the right thing to do. The students who have worked their tails off throughout undergrad deserve to stand out from those who did not. All of us have had trials (many worse than OP's) and have worked through them to get good grades. Stuff happens. It will also happen in medical school. Are you going to fail classes when a trial comes your way then? This mentality of 'deserving' grade replacement and "fussing" when it isn't an option anymore is ridiculous. It ties back to our generation believing that "everybody should get a trophy." That is straight bull. Giving the loser a trophy only teaches them that losing is okay. Why try if everyone gets a reward? Why push through a struggle if I can just cover it up later? I believe that people can change, but that is what an upward trend and a great explanation in a secondary is for. Keep in mind that with or without grade replacement, your competition will stay the same. Your ranking among the competition will be the only difference (many of which will also drop in GPA as well). So take a deep breathe, sit down, and start prepping a good explanation paragraph. I have no doubt you'd get into a good DO school with that GPA, but don't start badmouthing Osteopathic medicine just because you didn't get it your way.

Peace.
:thumbup:

Peace.

You do realize the main people who take advantage of grade replacement are non traditional right? Meaning people who most likely aren't from your generation and have never been part of your own generation that you like to bash. This has nothing to do with that. Most of the people that are really suffering with this taking effect are people coming back after multiple years if not decades of life experience that have now been dedicating more years and money to get a huge "oh never mind". Participation trophies are irrelevant to this conversation.

To the IDIOTS that think this policy change is the "move in the right direction"

I have always had a deep aversion to institutional unfairness. Makes my blood boil. Makes me look at LSAT prep. The way this move was handled by AACOMAS is ridiculous. People have lost money, and worse: years. Its awful.

All that being said. I agree with the long term move. I am, as you say, an idiot. However, I see It is a long term move TOWARD fairness. Schools should be able to see everything, and then decide how they feel about it.

"but what about the grades I got due to adversity"? For the student who lost their mother in the middle of Ochem and fails, there's a student who lost their mother in Ochem and toughed out a B. school's should have all the information to be as fair as possible

"what about the grades I got 6 years ago" You got those grades 6 years ago. That should be apparent in your application, and the school should consider them accordingly. Its part of your journey, nothing to be ashamed about.

"something something... now its harder to get in". Good!

Last edited:
You do realize the main people who take advantage of grade replacement are non traditional right? Meaning people who most likely aren't from your generation and have never been part of your own generation that you like to bash. This has nothing to do with that. Most of the people that are really suffering with this taking effect are people coming back after multiple years if not decades of life experience that have now been dedicating more years and money to get a huge "oh never mind". Participation trophies are irrelevant to this conversation.

This x100

Peace.
To summarize "MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE", Wow, you are so selfless, someone get this person a trophy. Exactly what I want of a doctor, someone who only thinks of themselves and not of others or the issues they may have faced.

Don't waste your breath my friend! People on this thread calling me pretensions, and self entitled... They don't see the big picture.

Most of the people that disagree with you are already medical students and I think many have had this preconceived idea of people who take the opportunity to do grade replacement, and it's finally coming out. Take their opinions very lightly. Compassion is running low in a medical student filled thread, very ironic to say the least.

Most people taking advantage of grade replacement are not in my generation? Show me the facts on that. Are you trying to say that most people using grade replacement are not between 20-40 years old? Sit Down.

Most people taking advantage of grade replacement are not in my generation? Show me the facts on that. Are you trying to say that most people using grade replacement are not between 20-40 years old? Sit Down.
Show me the facts that they are mostly from this generation. You don't have any(I bet), by the looks of it, you are just making up a ton of claims.

Grade replacement, no grade replacement... it isn't that big a deal. The only people who are really going to be hurt by this were people who are trying to come back from extremely low (2.0) GPAs. If there are a great lot of those, that may mean that the schools have to lower their cut offs. The applicant pool is as large as it is. It contains the people it contains. taking away grade replacement doesn't suddenly create a fresh pool of undergrads sitting on 3.8s clamoring to get into the schools.

If this is the new rule, then it is going to affect a whole segment of people. It might adjust the calculus a little, and really marginal people might have to work a little harder to be competitive. But for the most part, qualified applicants will rise to the top. Underdogs will have to lean on their winning personalities a little more than others. You know, basically the way it is now.

To summarize "MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE", Wow, you are so selfless, someone get this person a trophy. Exactly what I want of a doctor, someone who only thinks of themselves and not of others or the issues they may have faced.
We all faced trials bruh. But like others have said, some have handled theirs better than others, and I believe they should get credit for that. And who are you to talk about thinking of themselves? Aren't you the one concerned about how you will compare to those who did better than you? You want yourself to look as good as someone who didn't get a bad grade? Sounds like you are pretty concerned about yourself. I'm just saying I think it is fair to be judged on your actions throughout your whole undergrad. If you made mistakes, well what is the saying about lemons and lemonade?

Show me the facts that they are mostly from this generation. You don't have any(I bet), by the looks of it, you are just making up a ton of claims.
Congrats on using my "facts" comeback. With facts or not, we all know that there isn't a whole bunch of people outside of our generation applying. period. blah blah blah

OP, I'm sorry you're feeling let down. I really truly feel for yah.

But that wall of angry, hateful, venting text...well let's just say:

2586335_l.gif

We all faced trials bruh. But like others have said, some have handled theirs better than others, and I believe they should get credit for that. And who are you to talk about thinking of themselves? Aren't you the one concerned about how you will compare to those who did better than you? You want yourself to look as good as someone who didn't get a bad grade? Sounds like you are pretty concerned about yourself. I'm just saying I think it is fair to be judged on your actions throughout your whole undergrad. If you made mistakes, well what is the saying about lemons and lemonade?

Adcoms aren't blind. They can see that you got your grades on your first time through. They are just as impressed by that as they are going to be, however retakes are calculated. Nothing substantial is changing.

So, if you keep putting your energy into doing the best that you can do, you won't need to waste another thought on whether someone else might be getting a second chance that you were fortunate enough not to need.

The famous "participation trophy" reference which you mentioned is talked about mostly with millennials who are either teens or in their early 20s. Most non trads who take advantage of grade replacement are older than their early twenties hence the term NON traditional. I'm not saying they're not 20-40, i'm saying they're not in their early 20s stage so you mentioning them wanting some sort of participation trophy isn't applicable.