Scrap paper?

despaill

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much scrap paper is provided during the exam.. I tend to jot a lot.. which seems to be a problem.. but I can't seem to let go of it :-\

Members don't see this ad.

i dont believe you get any scratch paper at all. you get two double-sided whiteboards with an erasable marker, eraser and two sharpies.

yeah i really didn't like it either. i have large hand writing so it was very difficult to write with the sharpie. i would have to erase just about after every other problem.

i just took the OAT last week and i got a little booklet of scrap paper. it was about 6 pages i think

Wow.. that stinks!.. I tend to write A LOT!! ... Do you know how large these whiteboards are?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh ok.. the six sheets should be helpful.. but whiteboards would really stink :-(

whhhat? i thought they only do whiteboards, i had so much trouble writing stuff with that huge sharpie....lol

I took the oats yesterday and both of the markers they gave me ran out during my QR section. That made me a little nervous as I was pressed on time..I had to raise my hand for them to get me a new one. Well..make sure they give you good markers!

Can you bring your own? :)
Wow! I didn't think they gave markers and a board.. I heard that it was just paper and as much as you need. I wouldn't mind the booklets, though

I was given 2 erase boards and markers as well. Kinda weird but it didn't cause my any real trouble.

This stinks,
I called the center and they told me I'd be getting boards with markers..as if I'm not short on time as is.. now they need to add on erasing.. Did anyone feel that that took precious time away or that it was difficult to manage?

in all honesty, i felt like it did slow me down a little. because of my large handwriting, i would have to erase after one or two questions. i guess the trick is to just erase really quickly

Kaplan provided a white board and marker to practice with. i feel that it does take time to erase. i was aggravated and there was black dust everywhere! It made my hands feel really dirty too, and i'm anal about clean hands, lol.

i just took the OAT last week and i got a little booklet of scrap paper. it was about 6 pages i think

I am going to call the prometric center tomorrow and see if it is possible to request pen/paper instead of the dry erase.

In my opinion since this is to be a standardized test; testing conditions should be homogenous. Since other centers obviously had the opportunity to use pen and paper, I should be able to do the same.

I have practiced with the dry erase boards, and it is a pain because it is difficult to write quickly and clearly with the fatter pens.

Well, I called my center again today and they said that on their computer it states white boards and markers for the OAT and thus can not do anything else. :-\

I am going to call the prometric center tomorrow and see if it is possible to request pen/paper instead of the dry erase.

In my opinion since this is to be a standardized test; testing conditions should be homogenous. Since other centers obviously had the opportunity to use pen and paper, I should be able to do the same.

I have practiced with the dry erase boards, and it is a pain because it is difficult to write quickly and clearly with the fatter pens.

Definitely agree. Let us know if you get any response.

I was unable to speak with anyone when I called the center. All I got was "leave a message, and we MAY call you back." So I left a message around noon, and did not receive a return call.

If no response by COB tomorrow, I will try emailing prometric. At the very least I may ask if I can use my own marker, something with a very FINE tip.

Just for reference BobDoleX, can you please let us know which prometric center you took the test at? It may help me come up with a more convincing argument.

At the very least I may ask if I can use my own marker, something with a very FINE tip.
I already posted this in a different thread, but I called my center to ask if I can use my own markers. The guy from my center (in Bethesda, MD) basically made it seem like there wasn't a strict policy about this, but that it would be the judgment call of whoever happened to be proctoring that day. I think what I'm going to do is just bring my markers, and attempt to use them unless I'm specifically told I can't.

I mean, if you were taking a written standardized test and wanted to use your "lucky pencil" would they stop you (assuming the pencil had no information on it)? I don't see why there should be a fuss. Hell, I'll even GIVE them the marker when I'm done with it.

What is this marker utensil you guys speak of? Just messing, but seriously at my prometric center they gave me a book of paper (6 sheets) and two pencils. After I finished my sciences and reading portion I went out of the room (during the 15 minute optional break) and traded the packet of paper for a clean one. Then I was ready for physics and math. Wasn't a problem for them at all.

I was given 2 laminated peices of graphing paper and two thin markers. Everything was fine though.

i'm not happy about the choice here. during my oat practice time,i've tried the marker/whiteboard deal sure i save paper, but it takes time to erase rough work every 10 minutes. plus it makes it more difficult to go back and answer questions you've already doodled on. push for paper and pencil :(:scared:!

When I took mine earlier this summer, I got to use paper and pencil also. You could go out to the front desk during breaks and ask for more. It helped a lot with timing because I didn't have to erase. It was also nice because if I went back to a question, I still had my original work written down and didn't have to redo the entire problem.